White House Launches ‘U.S. Digital Service’

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that are fans of train wrecks, the White House has some news for you. :D

The White House on Monday announced that it is formally launching a new U.S. Digital Service and that it has hired to lead it Mikey Dickerson, an engineer widely credited with playing a central role in salvaging HealthCare.gov after its disastrous launch. The idea behind the USDS, as the White House has taken to calling it, is institutionalizing the approach that saved the health care site and applying it to the work of the government even before disaster strikes.

Is this from the onion?

There's no way I can believe our government would have the forethought to say "hey, let's learn from our mistakes for once."

Nothing has been salvaged. It is still a total POS.

I went through the registration process just over a week ago with my wife as her status has changed. Every single step of the way we encountered bugs and pages that I assume we should never see.

For example, email verification process didn't work right away. Click on a verification link, boom, an error page. Click on a link again, woopie, your email was confirmed.
Logging in didn't work right away. Log in, boom, some kind of Oracle database error page. Log in again after a while, it worked.
Identity verification process didn't work.

After calling up their technical support, we were told to create a new account... Hahahaha...

What a gigantic joke.

The guy leading it is probably the worst of the entire group; he just happened to be the biggest extrovert.

Nothing has been salvaged. It is still a total POS.

But even that is a huge improvement over the original web site.

If this was a private company, they would have gone out of business or sued the company they paid to develop the web site.

All they did was give this Dood a lifetime job with benefits and he'll never actually ever have to do anything for it again.

“The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.”

― Oscar Wilde

The real irony here is that the government is setting itself up to fail. The fact that the government has created this body is an admission that it can't do anything right.

But even that is a huge improvement over the original web site.

If this was a private company, they would have gone out of business or sued the company they paid to develop the web site.

Improvement? No, this is what is known as an Overton Window. You simply slowly shift what is considered acceptable. We went from accepting that thing work, to accepting that well its impossible for things to work perfectly when they launch, to things can only be expected to kind of work, to things are an "ongoing" improvement, to we need a division whose sole purpose is to fix things that we know will break because well we cant possibly expect anything else.

The gaming industry is a prime example of this kind of logic.

The scary thing is this is now normal. WORDS MATTER. Listen to what they actually say, not what other interpret what is assumed to be meant.

Back