Flippable Frame Lets Bike Grow With Kids

Logically, this makes sense.
The cost will be far greater, however, than that of just simply buying a new bike.

Not to mention, proprietary parts which may or may not be around a few years from now if the company is even still around...
No thanks.

Also, alot of 'parents' don't want to probably have to deal with rebuilding a bike to make it bigger after 2-3 years of use, and would probably want to buy their kid a 'new bike'. Same thing in the child's eye. Kids love getting new things, and after 3 years of wear and tear.....it seems, looks, and feels used and old. Kids hate that.

And I know exactly your response, that the kids I am describing seem like spoiled brats who should be happy to even have a bike. Well, that's reality. Unless a family is homeless, or on welfare, what I describe above is the mindset of the majority of families and kids in this day and age.

well, its ugly for one thing. I think getting a new bike for xmas or a bday as a kid every few years is one of those things they look forward to. At least it was for me.

I was thinking he could sell the design to a huge company for $$

Horray, then we could purchase bikes just like add-on ridden games.

Purchase the bike for $60.
Oh, you want a seat? $15.
Handlebars? $15
Upgrade to handbrakes from petal-brakes? $15
Pre-order your bike now and get a season pass for the "off-road tires" addon!

lol, you can keep it. ;)

There is already a company that makes stuff like this.

One of them transforms from a tricycle to a bicycle.

The local Essex usually has a few in stock. In other words.. people buy them and return them.

I don't think I have seen one with this particular design though (flip the rear of the frame to raise the seat and add pedals).

I am still holding out hope that one of these designs will catch on with the masses!!

images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_R1_Y7_U_SEKz_UJa4_u6_WVg_CUu_A0_K6_Wx.jpg

imagesweird_bike_small.jpg

Bike_4odd_bike_high_heel.jpg

fat_wheel_bike.jpg

What's the point? Kids don't go outside anymore. They are too busy with those damn vidya games.

Now to figure out how to flip the wheel to make it bigger...that may take a bit more engineering...

That bike looks ready to fold in half from one good wipe out. While it's resistance to top to bottom stress is probably good. Side to side resistance looks very low.

Also, alot of 'parents' don't want to probably have to deal with rebuilding a bike to make it bigger after 2-3 years of use, and would probably want to buy their kid a 'new bike'. Same thing in the child's eye. Kids love getting new things, and after 3 years of wear and tear.....it seems, looks, and feels used and old. Kids hate that.

Plus, in many families, the old bike is handed down to the younger kids.

Guess I am a cheap SOB. I get $10 used bikes from CL or FB buy/sell posts. But my kids are still young and learning to ride. There is a standing promise that as soon as they learn to ride really well w/o training wheels, they get a new bike. I figure I'll only have to buy 2 bikes at the most for each of them.

Guess I am a cheap SOB. I get $10 used bikes from CL or FB buy/sell posts. But my kids are still young and learning to ride. There is a standing promise that as soon as they learn to ride really well w/o training wheels, they get a new bike. I figure I'll only have to buy 2 bikes at the most for each of them.

I only ever had two bikes growing up..

The first was one with either 10" or 12" wheels. The spokes were plastic. The second time I broke the rims from ramping it my dad bought me a 20" BMX. I still have the rims from that bike on my current BMX.

The rear rim has a 13 tooth sprocket, and the front sprocket is the biggest I could find. A nice old DB that can go 45Mph+ is pretty wicked. :D

People driving their cars used to look at me like I was crazy when I would pass then.

Back