Twitch Will Mute Copyrighted Music In Video-On-Demand

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is it just me or are announcements like this somehow better when they are made by an attorney that goes by the nickname "Boo?" :D

The Audible Magic technology will scan for third party music in 30 minute blocks — if Audible Magic does not detect its clients’ music, that portion of the VOD will not be muted. If third party audio is detected anywhere in the 30-minute scanned block, the entire 30 minutes will be muted.

And this is why people steal music, because the music/movie industry is easy to hate.

"Piracy is not a victimless crime"... maybe not, but the only people getting hurt are big corporations and MPAA and RIAA, so I don't feel so bad.

So how am I supposed to catch the Someguy streams that I miss now? Yes, I still watch Rock Band streams :cool:.

There are a few different programs out there that circumvent this. They take the audio stream and cleverly mask / manipulate the song to sound just slightly different so the song doesn't get flagged. The one I saw was in a German lang UI but was told there is an English lang counterpart

Here is more about "Boo" because, face it, she IS the reason Steve even started this thread!!

baker_elizabeth_boo_Vert_201408011200.jpg

As predicted when Google was rumored to buy Twitch, ContentID has come. And been implemented. They actually got that done really quickly. Now we'll see if the floodgates open to other services and if they effectively ruined Twitch's 1B$ valuation with this change.

Twitch has been awful for a long time now. The only thing it has is viewer numbers. Sites like Hitbox are much better these days.

I think the thing to do will be to have the streamer provide his background music via another service or channel on another site to prevent the full audio of the stream from being muted.

Maybe they'll stop playing music on stream and I can watch Hearthstone streams now without having to listen to the horrible music that they blast so loud I can't hear the game or what the streamer is saying? That'd be a shame. Although, the music does mask the fact that most streamers are incredibly dull and uninteresting...

The retroactive aspect means that all the content stored over years will suddenly have all the audio blocked?

Streaming a game usually involved lots of interactions and chat which will also be blocked .... making the video's basically pointless.

I can see a massive counter-suit, given that the value (and streamers do get paid by ads/subscribers viewing recordings not just live video) of all their work will be lost .... thousands of streamers, hundreds of thousands of hours of production arbitrarily squelched,
and no one was even bitching about it.

Now, ordering all FUTURE streaming be done without copyright issues fine. But here, how can you tell if the streamers is streaming random stolen audio OR streaming with a service where HE PAID specifically for this purpose? Is the scanning software going to be smart enough to be able to tell the difference?

What does a Radio station that plays music PAY? Why couldn't streamers pay out of their Twitch accounts the equivalent (per viewer fee) that the radio stations pay?

You know, like $0.0003/viewer on the stream per song, taken from the account that gets paid into by subscribers/advertisers/twitch for the streamer?

Time to void ALL Copyrights and return music to a SERVICE product that it always was for the first 20,000 years of Human existence.

This is stupid. If people hear a song they like in a stream they will look it up later and maybe buy it or something.

This is stupid. If people hear a song they like in a stream they will look it up later and maybe buy it or something.
Yep. I recently bought 2 CDs because I heard it on a Twitch stream. It's free advertising for crying out loud.

Yep. I recently bought 2 CDs because I heard it on a Twitch stream. It's free advertising for crying out loud.

Yes by cutting out the middle-man. By removing the advertisers its costing american jobs and hurting the economy. Independent reports funded by the music industry show that pedophiles and terrorists hate middle-men too. Mass copyright infringement (most Twitch streams have at least 3 viewers with 2 ears stealing music) is a gateway crime... next thing you know these criminals will be disrespecting celebrities or trolling people on Youtube. :D:D:D

I remember to this day
When Google took Twitch away
And how music disappeared
After that summer buy bargain
Justin.TV made Twitch go
Google's money told me that so
Oh how I wish
We could hear third-party music again

Me and you and a lawyer named Boo
Eatin' and watchin' games on Twitch
Me and you and a lawyer named Boo
How I love when Twitch wouldn't snitch

EP8q1_Z18bap24ei_Ko_Tbg_RTIfkji_Hise_Op_Xu_IY4_Kfmy3_DPVwy.jpg

As predicted when Google was rumored to buy Twitch, ContentID has come. And been implemented. They actually got that done really quickly. Now we'll see if the floodgates open to other services and if they effectively ruined Twitch's 1B$ valuation with this change.

Kneejerk much? You do understand that Google is just the middleman, yes? And this isn't ContentID, btw, but these systems are for the site owner (in this case, Google) not to get sued into oblivion because kids insist on uploading or using copyrighted material.

In any case, Twitch's killer app is livestreams, and that remains unaffected, and will remain so.

Twitch CEO confirms audio scanning and muting won't affect livestreams
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/07/t...ning-and-muting-wont-be-added-to-livestreams/

Stupid or not, isn't it ultimately up to the creator (or in most cases the owner) of the music to decide how they will push for sales of their music?

Since they have the original source audio, they should be able to just mute out the copyrighted audio using a filter and leave the rest of the audio intact. Muting entire 30-minute blocks is overkill, and that's an understatement.

Stupid or not, isn't it ultimately up to the creator (or in most cases the owner) of the music to decide how they will push for sales of their music?

Who is the creator? The one who wrote the lyrics? The one who plays bass guitar? The producer? The label? The ghost in the vinyl?

Back