Contraception On A Chip: Is It Secure?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Birth control has gone high-tech like so much of our everyday things we all use. For women who don’t care for any present forms of birth control now available, they have a new a high tech solution. A microchip, that once implanted under the skin, can administer a birth control drug for up to 16 years and be turned off or on by remote control, but is it safe?

A hacker would have to contact the patient's skin to reach the device, and all and the commands are sent by radio frequency rather than by Bluetooth. The short range also makes it impossible for a hacker to ‘listen in’.

I wouldn't be so concerned about a hacker as much as I would be concerned regarding a malfunction. Just wait until something shorts out or the container holding the drug breaks and you release 16 years worth of drugs into somebody.

I wouldn't be so concerned about a hacker as much as I would be concerned regarding a malfunction. Just wait until something shorts out or the container holding the drug breaks and you release 16 years worth of drugs into somebody.

Actually the article covers that.

Still as "secure" as it is, it would have been better to just leave the whole remote control part out of the picture. If you want to get pregnant, have the thing removed.

More important question, is can we require these for mothers asking for welfare, so they don't have more kids until they can afford them. ;)

To me this sounds about the same as the wireless insulin pumps that are on the market these days. And to my knowledge no one is freaking out about those getting hacked :\

More important question, is can we require these for mothers asking for welfare, so they don't have more kids until they can afford them. ;)

As attractive as it sounds to control the birthrate of the leach caste, it would not likely pass constitutional muster.

Or better yet, men could just get the injection that creates a disolvable block in the vas deferens... thus solving the problem more effectively and safely. Seems a whole lot less complicated to me and we could stop fucking with ladies hormone levels.

To me this sounds about the same as the wireless insulin pumps that are on the market these days. And to my knowledge no one is freaking out about those getting hacked :\

Which is ironic because more than 25 units or Humulin R would kill most people, and I think they come preloaded with 300units.

As attractive as it sounds to control the birthrate of the leach caste, it would not likely pass constitutional muster.

Yeah quite a few years back a church organization offered to give free tube-tying operations plus like $500 cash to any crack addict to get them sterlized... needless to say the local population (poor, black, etc) had a field day tearing down billboards that offered this saying they were being targeted.

That said, an IUD could work 5-10 years, some of them don't even pump hormones into your system, and it's not something you can rip out at a whim. Unfortunately you have asshats like the Hobby Lobby who believe using something like that is tantamount to having an abortion.

Or better yet, men could just get the injection that creates a disolvable block in the vas deferens... thus solving the problem more effectively and safely. Seems a whole lot less complicated to me and we could stop fucking with ladies hormone levels.

it is interesting how birth control is always up to the ladies

;)

There is the contraception for men being tested in India(?) I believe. Jump all over that if it becomes safe and cheap.

Whenever someone mentions birth control on a chip I picture a little bug zapper for sperm.

Wow, mention anything that's been in the news in the last fifty years (like contraception) and the vegetable garden immediately starts quoting radical right wing propaganda.

Back