64-Bit Version of Chrome for Windows 7 and 8 in Beta Channel

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you already run the Beta version of Google’s Chrome browser and also run a 64 bit OS, there is a good chance that you have already been upgraded to the 64 bit version (37.0.2062.58) that was released on Wednesday. If not, you can update from within Chrome or go straight to the Chrome Beta page for a download.

64-bit Chrome should be faster, especially in graphics and multimedia content, and more secure since it can take advantage of Windows 8's built-in anti-exploit technology.

Yeah, go ahead and install it, guys. This new version comes with even bigger and passionately vibrating anal probe.

Seriously thought, Use chromium if you like the browser.

Seriously thought, Use chromium if you like the browser.

I have used a few different variants of Chromium.. SRWare Iron, Epic, Torch.. This Wikipedia page lists 16 different Chromium based browsers. I never use IE and rarely use FireFox or Google Chrome.

There's a canvas fingerprinting blocker extension out for Chrome you know.

Until someone creates something that defeats it. It's an endless cat and mouse game, just like malware vs. AV companies. I'd rather just block everything by default since these tracking companies will do as much as they can to obtain as much information about you as possible. If I want a script to run, I'll enable it.

Thanks for the heads up ... The Chrome browser had been mysteriously crashing to desktop every time I tried to open it and I was stuck way back on version 27 (the last version that didn't crash on me) ... the new 64 bit version actually works so I don't need to run an out of date browser anymore :)

Until someone creates something that defeats it. It's an endless cat and mouse game, just like malware vs. AV companies. I'd rather just block everything by default since these tracking companies will do as much as they can to obtain as much information about you as possible. If I want a script to run, I'll enable it.

There's a script blocker for Chrome as well.

It isn't like these tools are bound forever to one browser...hell Internet Explorer may even have them for all I know (not that I care much)

Fixed a very annoy issue with Flash for me. If I maximized flash on a secondary monitor, it would minimize again if I clicked on something on a different display and it lost focus. Now I can maximize my mlb.tv games and do whatever I want without it minimizing my games. So I'm happy.

Fixed a very annoy issue with Flash for me. If I maximized flash on a secondary monitor, it would minimize again if I clicked on something on a different display and it lost focus. Now I can maximize my mlb.tv games and do whatever I want without it minimizing my games. So I'm happy.

That is actually a "feature" of Flash and Silverlight and has been for years.

Intended to prevent rogue players from preventing access to your system, granted there have been workarounds/patches on again off again for just as long.

I just installed the new 64-bit beta and boy it sure is fast! I have a fast computer and never had a complaint about Chrome 32-bit but I can sure tell the difference in render speed. My plugins seem to be working just fine also, so it looks like they don't need to be 64-bit as well.

I loaded up my Humble Bundle library and it was blinding fast! Only takes Chrome 64 a few seconds to load my library. Chrome 32 literally could not load the list of games I have purchased from Humble Bundle as it would crash after 20 minutes or so of trying. I always had to use Firefox or Internet Explorer 11 to do it. Now Firefox is the slowest at this task.

With crap like Canvas Fingerprinting going on I wouldn't surf without it.

www.browserleaks.com/canvas <------ website that tests that canvas fingerprinting is possible.. but only works with JavaScript on.

Steve Gibson on "Security Now" episode #466 said..

If you look there (www.browserleaks.com/canvas), it says 1,847 unique signatures, not 64. So last week in the research report from the guys that found this and developed the technology, in their analysis they found it was less than six bits' worth of identification from that. But they had a relatively small sample size. Browserleaks.com has been there looking at all visitors for a long time. It just - it's looked at me. Now it's looked at you. And it's looked at everybody else who's gone there. And 1,847 is the number. And that's about 10.85 effective binary bits, or a little less than 11 bits.

So that's certainly - which is to say that any of this technology running on anyone's browser that has scripting enabled, and I forgot to highlight that last week, this is all client-side, and it's done by someone injecting some JavaScript onto the page that your browser dutifully renders, and then it sucks that off, makes a hash, and sends it back to the tracking mothership. But I just wanted to say that it turns out it's not - you're not put into one of 64 or something bins. It's 1,847. So that's substantially better. But on the other hand, that's certainly not identifying you on the Internet.

And so this still is far from being unique. It's one more thing that can be used. But it does require scripting. Unlike cookies, for example, that's part of the underlying plumbing of web browsing, this is script-based hack, and so users have a little more control over it. Oh, and I also found out that a lot of people are already blocking that site, the one, I can't remember, it's "all" something, that I mentioned last week, that's like the king of the injecting of canvas [addthis.com]. Everybody knows about it and has been blocking it for a while. So, yes, this has been around. And as you said, Leo, Gizmodo got headlines and upset everybody.

I just installed the new 64-bit beta and boy it sure is fast! I have a fast computer and never had a complaint about Chrome 32-bit but I can sure tell the difference in render speed. My plugins seem to be working just fine also, so it looks like they don't need to be 64-bit as well.

Is it running a 64-bit version of Flash (if there even is one)? If not, how is it able to run a 32-bit plugin?

Is it running a 64-bit version of Flash (if there even is one)? If not, how is it able to run a 32-bit plugin?

Chrome should come with its own flash. I updated my Chrome 32bit stable to 64bit-beta...and flash is streaming fine as I speak. Silverlight streaming also "just works".

How's it faring so far? I know I said I'd wait, but the 32 bit version seems to be suffering serious memory leaks.

How's it faring so far? I know I said I'd wait, but the 32 bit version seems to be suffering serious memory leaks.

TBH, I barely notice I'm running a beta testing product. On a totally experiential non-empirical level, Chrome 64-bit seems snappier all around even on a decent SSD. Codecs just work like they're supposed to. Granted I haven't been watching memory usage but with 32GB of RAM I don't really need to.

seems to run much smoother with all my extensions and tabs open...Anyone have any good extensions I should try out?

I posted too soon. Text in the tabs themselves is clear and greyed on my left-hand 1200x1920 display, clear on my 4K middle display, but greyed and blurred on my right-hand 1200x1920 display.

I'm seeing huge memory usage. I went to the forums on Enworld.org and let it sit there and the RAM usage climbed to 2 GB over the course of an hour or so.

I see similar behaviour on other sites too. Mainly ones with adverts.

I have found an interesting issue. I'm running three monitors in Portrait + Landscape + Portrait modes and on the second (right-hand) portrait monitor, if I right-click any link, the menu comes up on the middle monitor. This only happens on the right-hand monitor and happens on all websites from Hardform to news.bbc.co.uk to facebook to amazon to...

Back