Five Years On, Millions Still Dig 'FarmVille'

I fuckin' despise games that are made for people who aren't gamers.

I fuckin' despise games that are made for people who aren't gamers.

Besides it being sort of silly to stick "er" on the end of the word "game" to wear some kind of imaginary identity, I don't see why you'd get upset or even care what other people do with their time. There's obviously a lot of money to be made with casual, web-based games so they're pretty popular. They have low development costs and yield steady income over a long period of time which is more than can be said about a lot of so-called big titles that follow the same goofy "it moves so shoot at it" premise that is at the root of a lot of childhood violence and young adult mental problems.

Besides it being sort of silly to stick "er" on the end of the word "game" to wear some kind of imaginary identity, I don't see why you'd get upset or even care what other people do with their time. There's obviously a lot of money to be made with casual, web-based games so they're pretty popular. They have low development costs and yield steady income over a long period of time which is more than can be said about a lot of so-called big titles that follow the same goofy "it moves so shoot at it" premise that is at the root of a lot of childhood violence and young adult mental problems.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=280
That's why we hate them.

Even my grandmother was a farmer.... On facebook

The village drunk out here, a man who cuts lawns for a living. A man who uses his beat up old Sears lawn mower as his personal vehicle. A man who can count his tooth on one hand, plays Farmville.

I'm not even kidding.

Well, except the tooth, he actually has five or six...

Farmville hits the same addictive pathways as gambling.

That's why games like Game of War: Fire Age on iOS have people who spend $100k/yr on it.

Just goes to show...
We're conditioned to live such a dull and boring life that we find dull and boring games desirable.

This is....unfortunate. WHAT IS THE ATTRACTION???!?

I would say the same thing about huge blockbuster sequels with countless DLCs and "premium" services, but people can't hand over their money fast enough. If Call of Duty can get people to buy the same game 5 years in a row, I don't see why Farmville shouldn't be able to do the same.

Confession: my favorite Nintendo franchise is Harvest Moon.

It's just so motherfucking zen.

Back