Microsoft Invents A Splittable Game Controller For Surface Tablets

Actually a pretty good idea ... nice to see MS beat Apple to a patent for a change

It's like a big ass Nintendo gamepad. I like it. How exactly would these hook to the Surface though??

But hasn't this been done? Razer Edge has that controller add-on which is very similar to what Microsoft has here.

I'm really surprised at how little effort the big players are putting into phone and tablet controllers. Let's face it, 90% of smartphone usage is to play games. And there is not one game out there that couldn't benefit from some type of physical control.

I guess with dimensions and styles changing so frequently you'd have to change your controller also. Plus once you open the door to those kinds of outside interfaces who knows what people might come up with. Point is, I'm sure they've thought about it and come up with some MBA justified reason as to why it's not a good thing to pursue.

This actually looks like a really good idea, and one that has been sorely needed.

Well, I have gamed on SP2. The stylus isn't really good for anything except simple flash games such as Kantai collection. Controller wise, I would only use it if I can place the Surface on some kind of a desk, cause it's awkward to game while holding the thing as it's large enough to be cumbersome.

I would rather just pair on bluetooth and be done with it. I actually played Skyrim on the go with a mouse.

That would be cool. Rather than a USB gamepad, it'd be attachable. I like it. It's change the gaming from a more casual, touch style to a (IMO) better platform. Emulators would benefit a lot from it, as well. :) I like it.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks it looks stupid.

A 10+" handheld gaming system? I'd play it. Probably just old Nintendo and Sega games (and TG16), but it'd give me that freedom to do so. I like portable gaming, and I love emulators and the old games, so it'd be awesome for me. Just need the Surface! :D

Cool idea, but I'm not sure I'd grant a patent for it. It seems obvious to me. Ben Heck has been splitting Xbox controllers in two for years.

I'm surprised it too this long for this idea to come about... and that nVidia didnt do it first O_O

No thank you; it's going to look like you're playing a lunch tray.

Could be good, depends on the implementation.

If they do bring this out I might try hacking it to work with my Nexus 10.

According to this patent application with the US Patent & Trademark Office, Microsoft is working on a "splittable" game controller for Surface.

This is one of the few patents I've seen here that seemed like it might deserve a patent. The ones posted below seem to only work split. But as others have said, I'm surprised there's not more controllers for phones and tablets.

Back when I had an original Droid, I bought a "game gripper" that was just a simple overlay of the keyboard with NES style controls. Simple concept, but when paired with all my emulators, it was genius.

I'm actually looking to do some gaming on the SP2 in between classes

this looks friggin horrible though. I rather use a bluetooth/wireless mouse, or bring in a dualshock3/4

Back