20 Toughest Interview Questions Heard At Apple, Google and Twitter

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Thinking of applying for a position with one of the major tech companies? Then you had better prepare for some strange job interview questions that will come straight out of left field and leave you hanging. Glassdoor has made some examples available to know what to expect in your search for a position with the big guys.

"What's the most creative way you can break a clock?"

Make one in minecraft and watch the players destroy it. Or give it to a child and just wait.

Damn... I would never get hired at those places even if I did have the skill set :D

"There are infinite black and white dots on a plane. Prove that the distance between one black dot and one white dot is one unit."

Infinite dots would fill up a plane infinity by infinity, So the average separation between between any two dots is the number of dots divided by the length of a side, so infinity divided by infinity equals one! :D

Then follow up with how you can't divide out by infinities that way and that I in no way have had enough coffee to be able to go through a formal mathematical proof :D

Those are stupid questions IMO. Right now I'm quasi in charge of the interview process, and wanted to suggest that in addition to the standardized test I created that just asks questions most relevant to our day to day tasks at the company, to give a brief standardized IQ test. This will test creative and efficient thought processes in a far less subjective and measurable way. Otherwise, you run the ever constant risk of someone claiming they were discriminated against, whereas scores on a standardized competency test, IQ test, and documented notes on their personality covers you if you have to explain why A was chosen over B and C.

I got a lot of flack for the IQ part, but I don't understand why.

yeah, I would fail the first round. I can't answer that shit. I wouldn't even get the secretary job.

"If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use."

Job: Google Administrative Assistant

1. Stab people in the eye.
2. I can't think of anymore.
3. nope. drawing a blank.
4. nothing's coming to me.

I applied to Google many years ago. They've since changed their mentality towards hiring because they found that their methodology didn't produce the best results (there's a news article from within the last year detailing this). Anyway, by the time I was finished with the application I realized I didn't want to work in any place that had such a ridiculous hiring procedure that was borderline snobby/elitist not to mention in many cases irreverently creative. It in many ways felt unprofessional (which was their intent) and ultimately tried to take you out of your comfort zone while making you think on your feet. These are all good ideas but ultimately it creates an environment where groupthink is a major issue in my opinion, it seemed like a certain type of person had written the application in order to hire someone similar...that's all fine and good unless you want diversity.

I gave them feedback on that and it's clear years later, by looking at recent diversity numbers, that I was correct.

"If you were given a box of pencils, list 10 things you could do with them that are not their traditional use."

Job: Google Administrative Assistant

1) Sundial
2) Makeshift Jenga game
3) Combine it with a post-it note decorated as the American Flag.
4) Scrape wood shavings off of pencil in a survival situation to use as kindling.
5) Grind up the graphite to use as face "paint".
6) Non-round pencils (one with flat sides), number each side and use the pencils as dice.
8) Rub it on a concrete floor to make a prison style shank.
7) Play Pencil pop
8) Rub it on a concrete floor to make a prison style shank.
9) Burn the eraser and inhale the fumes to get high.
10) Scatter on carpet as a noise maker to hear when the boss is coming so I can get back to work instead of thinking what to do with pencils, especially number 8 and 9.

Those are stupid questions IMO. Right now I'm quasi in charge of the interview process, and wanted to suggest that in addition to the standardized test I created that just asks questions most relevant to our day to day tasks at the company, to give a brief standardized IQ test. This will test creative and efficient thought processes in a far less subjective and measurable way. Otherwise, you run the ever constant risk of someone claiming they were discriminated against, whereas scores on a standardized competency test, IQ test, and documented notes on their personality covers you if you have to explain why A was chosen over B and C.

I got a lot of flack for the IQ part, but I don't understand why.
You got a lot of flack for it because iq doesn't test creativity or intelligence and it's not an objective measure of what it does test

Why are manhole covers round?

Because if they were any other shape, they could be turned and fall through.

Why are manhole covers round?

Because if they were any other shape, they could be turned and fall through.

I'd take that as a second, first would be because it's easier to drill a round hole (down to the sewer) than it is to dig a square hole.

Economics before Safety.

I don't see what is so hard about most of those questions. For a few they seem tough but only to somebody that isn't in that field.

Name as many Microsoft products as you can

If you are applying for a job at Microsoft and can't name anything they make you might want to get a new job, if you are in the tech field and can't name anything Microsoft makes and you are trying to get a job a Microsoft there is a problem there.

Xbox, surface (both tablet and large table looking touch screen device), windows, office suite (word, excel, project, visio...), Works, bing, outlook web based email program, keyboards, mice, phone, hyper-v, lync... and so on

How do you cut a circular cake into eight equal pieces

Anyone that doesn't know how to do this is sad, people getting paid minimum wage at pizza hut know how to cut a circle into 8 piece. they might not be the best a making them equal, but they know how to cut the 8 pieces.

The one about the string and the one about the dots are two of the harder ones, however somebody in that field would probably know a way answer that type of question.

I'd take that as a second, first would be because it's easier to drill a round hole (down to the sewer) than it is to dig a square hole.

Economics before Safety.

Manholes aren't drilled, they use precast boxes and pipe, then are back filled with dirt and gravel. Don't call us, we'll call you :D

Then prove that white is black and black is white and get run over at the next zebra crossing.

You got a lot of flack for it because iq doesn't test creativity or intelligence and it's not an objective measure of what it does test
Define "intelligence"... good luck. I have a feeling that the fact the test is called an "intelligence quotient" is what gets people so bent out of shape. They take one of the popular tests, they score poorly, and since its not a score you can really improve through education or practice, they feel that this test implies they are unintelligent and thus reject it entirely.

What it does is test your reasoning and information processing skills and speed, memory, and creative problem solving and identification of relationships from abstract material. If you don't understand how this would be relevant to virtually any job, I don't know what to say.

And of course its inherently objective by being a standardized test.

AA0602.gif

This example IQ test question is not sexist, racist, persecutes a religion, or requires cultural knowledge. A healthy well developed brain would recognize the answer D within seconds using very basic skills and proceed to the next question to finish the test in the allotted time.

Or you could ask someone what a pink elephant would see when drunk.... *facepalm*

Just say the first thing that comes to mind, assuming it doesn't hurt your perceived skills or involve murder and rape. They just want to make you panic, and the quicker you answer, the less of a chance you will. And if they really are looking for a thought-out answer to these ridiculous questions, they can go fuck themselves.

"Do you believe in a higher power?"

Really? For a Pepsi merchandiser?
I missed that, and was told that was illegal. :eek: You can't ask if someone is married, their religion, whether they smoke, their age, whether they have kids or plan to have kids soon, any of that as it sets up the company for a discrimination lawsuit if they aren't hired.

A while back we hired someone who was already pregnant and didn't tell us, and smokers do waste a crapload of time IMO.

My last job gave a bunch of out of the box questions. Neither of them had to do with the job, but they were looking for problem solvers in general.

AA0602.gif

This example IQ test question is not sexist, racist, persecutes a religion, or requires cultural knowledge. A healthy well developed brain would recognize the answer D within seconds using very basic skills and proceed to the next question to finish the test in the allotted time.
While it's true it's not any of those "I'll sue you" worth things, it also does not accurately test the intelligence of a person. There's a reason why savants can test so damn high on IQ tests yet functionally be absolutely idiots at every other facet of life.

Screw it, here's an article that can explain it better than me.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...ligence-is-a-fallacy-study-finds-8425911.html

While it's true it's not any of those "I'll sue you" worth things, it also does not accurately test the intelligence of a person.
I already said you can't even easily DEFINE intelligence without it being so broad a definition, that it'd be impossible to test for... and I explained exactly what it tests.
There's a reason why savants can test so damn high on IQ tests yet functionally be absolutely idiots at every other facet of life.
Not only is that complete and utter bullshit because savants score EXTREMELY poorly on IQ tests, but it would be painfully obvious during the rest of the interview process I outlined. IQ tests require too broad a capacity for a savant to perform well in. Where did you read such completely nonsense???
Want a cliffs notes of what your article said? All they said is that the IQ test alone doesn't fully capture someone's "intelligence", providing no real reason why, and then reveals its political leanings going on a rant about how race doesn't even exist.... yeahhhhh.

My last job gave a bunch of out of the box questions. Neither of them had to do with the job, but they were looking for problem solvers in general.
That's what I was trying to achieve, but with questions that have a right and wrong answer (otherwise its subjective), and the questions can't be biased against gender, race, cultural, or specialized education, and you end up with... an IQ test, lol!!! That's the whole point of the test, is to make questions that can have a right and wrong answer (these Apple, Google, and Twitter questions don't have that), and can't be something that an American might know that a Indian might be unfamiliar with.

Define "intelligence"... good luck. I have a feeling that the fact the test is called an "intelligence quotient" is what gets people so bent out of shape. They take one of the popular tests, they score poorly, and since its not a score you can really improve through education or practice, they feel that this test implies they are unintelligent and thus reject it entirely.

What it does is test your reasoning and information processing skills and speed, memory, and creative problem solving and identification of relationships from abstract material. If you don't understand how this would be relevant to virtually any job, I don't know what to say.

And of course its inherently objective by being a standardized test.

AA0602.gif

Or you could ask someone what a pink elephant would see when drunk.... *facepalm*

The problem with an IQ test is that it means nothing about how a person actually functions. Last time I took an IQ test (an online one which I am not sure how reliable those actually are to giving you an valid result) I scored over 135. Which I am able to quickly grasp things and never had issues in school. That doesn't mean though that I know everything and can do everything. At the same time a person at my work claims they are a member of Mensa. Which if true this person would have an IQ on the same level as me. And yet this person is not able to grasp anything, has to have things explained to them many times over and still can only understand small parts of it, thinks somebody using words like cyclic is them using big words, doesn't do anything that they need to for their job in a reasonable amount of time, is not really able to do anything on their own. Only thing 'smart' they have done is managed to get a job where they don't have do really do anything and can beg others to help them as they don't understand things. And from somebody that knew this person back in school they weren't very bright back then. So in a case like that just because the person has a high IQ I wouldn't want to hire this person for mopping the floors let alone anything that actually requires thinking or being able to do anything.

"Do you believe in a higher power?"

Doesn't necessarily have to be religious. Could be seen from both a theist (i.e. "God") and an atheist (i.e. "humanity", "music", "nature", "the president", "the flavor of cinnamon toast crunch") viewpoint.

Job: Investment Intern at AIG
"How much does a Boeing 707 weigh?"

What variant? How much fuel? How many passengers? What seating layout? How much cargo is on board? Is it pulling negative Gs? :p

A healthy well developed brain would recognize the answer D within seconds

No, that is the fallacy. A brain which has been previously been exposed to that specific type of question would recognize the answer in seconds. It is still possible to, both, have a "well developed" (?) brain, and not understand the answer to any specific abstract question.

You are assuming that "if you fail this (or any) particular question, then you are dumber than someone who can answer it correctly"; which is a wrong assumption to make, and is what is inherently wrong with IQ tests and trying to assign a very specific number to an attribute which is not specifically defined (intelligence)..

When a potential employer starts getting really creative with interview questions, that's usually a telltale sign they aren't that interested in actually hiring someone.

"How would you solve problems if you were from Mars?"

Reply: How do you take yourself seriously asking such asinine questions?

The problem with an IQ test is that it means nothing about how a person actually functions.
It tells you exactly how a person functions at the variety of tasks they are asked to solve. It has nothing to do with subject matter expertise, which I have said before and said again.. which is why I also developed a standardized test that covers our daily task, the IQ test is supplemental to test how someone is able to handle unfamiliar challenges. I find it far more useful than asking "how many chucks would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood" and patting myself on the back for thinking of such an unusual and clever question, and then having the fun of deciding which answer I thought was best.
Last time I took an IQ test (an online one which I am not sure how reliable those actually are to giving you an valid result) I scored over 135.
They aren't, they are click-bait to encourage you to share the score on facebook etc with a hyperlink.
At the same time a person at my work claims they are a member of Mensa.
And I claim to be endowed like a shire horse, and yet I mangroom for that oh so important extra optical inch.

Oh well, from further discussion I understand the butthurt... people don't mind being told that they are unqualified for the job, after all that could just mean they didn't apply themselves or could study harder or are good at other things. People don't like the implication that they are inherently unintelligent. Most of this could have been avoided had they chosen a different name for the type of test. Ugh. ;)

"There are infinite black and white dots on a plane. Prove that the distance between one black dot and one white dot is one unit."
I dont understand this one. Assume you have two rows of infinite equally spaced dots. The rows are parrallel to eachother and 4 units apart from eachother on an infinite plane. No white dot is ever going to be 1 unit distance from one black dot.

I'll go even further. Assume you have two rows of infinite dots that are parrallel to eachother and 4 units apart from eachother on a FINITE plane. If you tell me that's impossible then I will ask you how there can be an infinite amount of numbers between 0 and 1 (I'm assuming, ofcourse, that the dots are infinitly small here). Again, no white dot will ever be 1 unit from any black dot.

Am I misunderstanding some part of this question?

It tells you exactly how a person functions at the variety of tasks they are asked to solve. It has nothing to do with subject matter expertise, which I have said before and said again.. which is why I also developed a standardized test that covers our daily task, the IQ test is supplemental to test how someone is able to handle unfamiliar challenges. I find it far more useful than asking "how many chucks would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood" and patting myself on the back for thinking of such an unusual and clever question, and then having the fun of deciding which answer I thought was best.

They aren't, they are click-bait to encourage you to share the score on facebook etc with a hyperlink.

And I claim to be endowed like a shire horse, and yet I mangroom for that oh so important extra optical inch.

Oh well, from further discussion I understand the butthurt... people don't mind being told that they are unqualified for the job, after all that could just mean they didn't apply themselves or could study harder or are good at other things. People don't like the implication that they are inherently unintelligent. Most of this could have been avoided had they chosen a different name for the type of test. Ugh. ;)

Guess I should have said this was back before facebook and those types of things that I did that online test. Don't recall where the test was at but it was something like a college or something like that which had it on their site.

And I am aware of people's ability to lie about stuff. I never put any faith in the person's claim. My old GM and this person were talking once about being members of mensa and asked me what my IQ was. I didn't pay either of them much mind at the time and found it hard to believe that either of them would be members.

I also do understand your feeling about some of these questions. However some of these questions apply more to certain fields that the average person would understand. For example I applied a decade ago to be a programmer on the game City of Heroes. They gave a test which wanted to know if you dropped a boat in water into a pond and the water level rose X amount what is the volume of the boat. To the average person this will seem stupid and pointless, but they wanted to make sure you understood physics. Just as when they wanted you to using only binary do addition and multiplication using binary shifts. Again that will confuse the average person, but for a game dev team that is optimizing code to perform an action in the fastest and most efficient manor. For a different programming job I was asked what a class was. Again this would seem like a stupid question if you are unaware of what the question is even asking or in the case of somebody that knows programming they might wonder why somebody would have to ask that. However even that question serves a purpose in that field and in that job position to make sure that the person would be writing well planned out code.

The same here, some of these questions seem stupid but for their field they make perfect sense. Asking a marking person to think up a new product and describe how you would market it is basically trying to assess how they think on the fly to think up a quick sales pitch. Asking somebody wanting to work at Microsoft what products Microsoft makes is asking them if they bothered to look into the company before applying.

And yes people would rather be told that they didn't qualify instead of being told they are too stupid. Not qualifying for a job is something that you can change, you can train, you can study, you can go to school... your IQ isn't something that you can change so if you are too stupid then you just will never qualify for a job. And I have came across people on both sides of that. Ones that when I heard they were given a certain job thought they were not intelligent enough to be able to figure it out and was correct and watched them fail at said job, and other that surprised me and actually did manage to learn and do well at their job.

I dont understand this one. Assume you have two rows of infinite equally spaced dots. The rows are parrallel to eachother and 4 units apart from eachother on an infinite plane. No white dot is ever going to be 1 unit distance from one black dot.

I'll go even further. Assume you have two rows of infinite dots that are parrallel to eachother and 4 units apart from eachother on a FINITE plane. If you tell me that's impossible then I will ask you how there can be an infinite amount of numbers between 0 and 1 (I'm assuming, ofcourse, that the dots are infinitly small here). Again, no white dot will ever be 1 unit from any black dot.

Am I misunderstanding some part of this question?

Just a thought here, but I think the answer lies in the wording. You have dots(points). if you had two dots next to each other than you would have a line not a dot as a line is multiple connected points. So the only way to have dots and not a line would be to have alternating white and black (like a chess board). That might be wrong and I might be over thinking the answer but to me that seems like a logical answer to that question.

Just a thought here, but I think the answer lies in the wording. You have dots(points). if you had two dots next to each other than you would have a line not a dot as a line is multiple connected points. So the only way to have dots and not a line would be to have alternating white and black (like a chess board). That might be wrong and I might be over thinking the answer but to me that seems like a logical answer to that question.
But you can have an infinite number of points between 0 and 1 that are discontinous (and therefor can't really be defined as a single unbroken line)

For example, take ALL rational numbers (every number that can be represented by a ratio) between 0 and 1. There are infinitely man rational numbers between zero and one. None the less, the set of all rational numbers between 0 and 1 does not contain ALL numbers between zero and 1 (even though it is infinite). For example, sqrt(2)/2 is between 0 and 1, and is not a rational number. In fact, there are cardinally more irrational numbers between 0 and 1 then there are rational numbers. So to say such a set would create a line would not be correct in my opinion. But perhaps you are correct, again, I don't really know since the question doesn't make sense to me.

"You have a bag of with "N" number of strings. At random, you pull out a string's end. You pull out another string end and you tie the two together. You repeat this until there are no loose ends left to pull out of the bag. What is the expected number of loops?"

This one is pretty tough, but I think the answer is:

Summation: from i=0 to N, 1/(2i+1). N is the number of strings. So a bag of 4 strings would have an expected number of 1/1 + 1/3 + 1/5 + 1/7 loops.

Let me know if you get an answer for this one.

lol a lot of those are not hard questions they are stupid questions. And most likely they didn't give a shit what your response was it was probably a tell for some other personality trait they wanted. The guy who answered stab people in the eye would probably get hired, "we were looking for someone who wants to kill the competition" I have never prepared for any interview in my life beyond looking up information about the employer / job. I figure if the guy up there is actually stupid enough to make a decision based on many of the random facts, trick questions, and other garbage people claim is part of interviews then I will let some other schmuck work in that crappy environment. I will answer what I know as I see it and for the most part that has placed me in jobs with people whom I fit well with. Portraying yourself as something you are not to get a job has a lot of possible bad outcomes for both you and the employer. That includes going out and memorizing answers to questions you found online.

Oh and some of those questions were the kind of questions you see a tool manager asking who was actually given such an assignment. His interview is just him (incapable of doing the job) trying to get ideas from other people after which he wont bother to hire the guy he takes the idea from.

Finally who wants to bet the people who actually got these jobs didn't answer the question posed correctly half the time? An interview is often just a point to verify that what you wrote on your resume matches up to some degree. The guy with the most experience / performance is probably going to win most of these regardless of what questions he answers unless he is incapable of answering a basic question about a project he claimed to be part of on his resume.

...It tells you exactly how a person functions at the variety of tasks they are asked to solve.

Actually an IQ test doesn't tell you that at all. Will an IQ test tell you how poor a person will function when they aren't tasked sufficiently enough? Will an IQ test tell you that you are hiring at introvert for an extroverted position? An emotional IQ test is much more relevant at telling you how a person will function and possibly perform at a variety of tasks. An IQ test tests one theory of intelligence, but doesn't tell the "whole picture" nor will it tell you how that person will interact with co-workers, how they'll leverage their intelligence in problem solving, or how they'll act in a hands-on environment with various stressors in place all of which are vastly more important in the decision making process of hiring someone.

The questions that many of these companies ask have no right or wrong answer but are designed to test creative thinking or the ability to think abstractly. They are more interested in seeing how you leverage your IQ in the problem solving process rather than how quickly you can get an answer. This allows them to see adaptability and how trainable you may be. An IQ test has validity in some circumstances but it can not tell the whole picture and can actually give false information in many circumstances.

When I developed testing for our County, I utilized a series of 3-4 tests to help sort through applicants but I also utilized training so that the various department managers and HR understood the results they were getting and that the highest scores didn't always mean the highest qualified candidates.

Actually an IQ test doesn't tell you that at all. Will an IQ test tell you how poor a person will function when they aren't tasked sufficiently enough? Will an IQ test tell you that you are hiring at introvert for an extroverted position? An emotional IQ test is much more relevant at telling you how a person will function and possibly perform at a variety of tasks. An IQ test tests one theory of intelligence, but doesn't tell the "whole picture" nor will it tell you how that person will interact with co-workers, how they'll leverage their intelligence in problem solving, or how they'll act in a hands-on environment with various stressors in place all of which are vastly more important in the decision making process of hiring someone.
eh, I think Ducman meant that an IQ test will tell you how they perform at solving the tasks that the IQ test asks them, not the tasks of the job in general.

I personally agree with the poster above that said someone with experience with IQ tests will naturally get higher scores. None the less, I think an IQ type test can be used not necessary to get a score, but just to see if they can at least get some mininum number of points and "pass" the test. What that mininum should be in order to pass is hard to say (an average score? lower than average? above average?). And if it's used in combination with an interview (and not as a replacement for an interview) like Ducman seems to suggest, then I think it would be ok.

Back