Crysis 3 Lead Producer Mike Read Leaves Crytek

Mismanagement is an incredible thing. All that tech, all those assets, all that money, and they blew it. Sad thing is someone will probably blame piracy when in reality it is because they moved to consoles that probably wrecked their business. They took their one crowning achievement, the "can it run crysis?" concept and lit it on fire by dumbing down the tech for consoles. Suddenly they entered a market already saturated with a loyal FPS market and had nothing new to offer. At least on the PC front they could have continued to sell sequels as nothing more than new technology demo's.

A few days ago Crytek announced they received funding and all of this was growing pains from switching from a "studio developer" to a "online publisher".

What the heck that means, I don't know. Hopefully they didn't view "Warface" as a huge enough success to throw away all of their IPs for free-to-play multiplayer based revenue.

id software? WTF has id done since, uh, quake 3?

Lucky for iD they have a much smaller staff and can afford to go 5-10 years stagnant. Crytek went and hired like 200 new staff after the success of one game and suddenly found themselves with nothing left to do.

couple days behind in the news bro. crytek paid all their staff's back wages after securing new funding.

That's great, however if you worked for them, you wouldn't worry that perhaps you might go another 2-3 months without a paycheck anytime in the future?

A few days ago Crytek announced they received funding and all of this was growing pains from switching from a "studio developer" to a "online publisher".

What the heck that means, I don't know. Hopefully they didn't view "Warface" as a huge enough success to throw away all of their IPs for free-to-play multiplayer based revenue.

I think that refers to GFace, a Steam like service for F2P games that Crytek was working on. Yeril talked about it last year. Sounds like they are trying to be like Steam, but only focusing on F2P.

“As a company, [we will] transition from a developer to a service company, and we’re going to offer a platform, with G-Face, to any other [developer that needs it],” he said.

The idea is to provide a way for Crytek’s teams and other developers to reach a worldwide audience that wants to play high-quality free-to-play games.

That's great, however if you worked for them, you wouldn't worry that perhaps you might go another 2-3 months without a paycheck anytime in the future?

Yeah fool me once shame on you; fool me again shame on me.
Not sure how many F1 fans are in here but this sounds just like what happened to Kimi Raikkonen and Lotus.

I was wondering why there were at least 4 guys from Crytek that now work at CIG (Star Citizen). They seem to be permanently there and not just helping with the code. They also did a full buyout of the Cryengine 3 source code reportedly (whatever that means) and they're modding the crap out of it (full double precision and 64 bit conversion) so it could be interesting.

Back