Comic-Con Bans Google Glass From Screenings

HardOCP News

[H] News
Attention Google Glass owners! Comic-Con hates you too. :D

On its official website, Comic-Con states that Glass is held in the same regard as smartphones and video cameras, noting that attendees "cannot wear Google Glasses during footage viewing in any program room." If you're a trendy Explorer who has a prescription Glass, let's hope you've brought a backup pair of specs because you're getting no special treatment.

I'm disgusted at how comic books are widely accepted now just because they make bank. In the nineties, most people would make fun of you for reading that stuff, but now they're super awesome just because mainstream media says so.

Luckily, the computer hobby will never blow up in popular culture like this. I don't want to see hipster or jock douchebags wearing Corsair t-shirts and talking about how they were into computers all their lives.

Luckily, the computer hobby will never blow up in popular culture like this. I don't want to see hipster or jock douchebags wearing Corsair t-shirts and talking about how they were into computers all their lives.

That's why we have Apple ... for the H and JDB crowd :p

I'm disgusted at how comic books are widely accepted now just because they make bank. In the nineties, most people would make fun of you for reading that stuff, but now they're super awesome just because mainstream media says so.

Well I don't think they're mainstream at all now. I think what you're seeing is the difference in how people around you treat your hobby based on the age of those people. Little boys like to make fun of each other. When little boys grow up, they still act stupid, but they also kinda ignore things like the hobbies of other people and make fun of each other less viciously. You're mistaking personal life experiences and living in a world of grown ups to broad acceptance of looking at what basically amounts to baby picture books for bigger children.

Also, what makes wearing a Corsair t-shirt worthy of name calling? You do realize you're doing the same thing to other people with an interest in computers that others did to you for your interest in looking at hand-drawn pictures of people in spandex outfits right? That's sort of vision limited.

Also, what makes wearing a Corsair t-shirt worthy of name calling? You do realize you're doing the same thing to other people with an interest in computers that others did to you for your interest in looking at hand-drawn pictures of people in spandex outfits right? That's sort of vision limited.

His hipster hate is classic hipster denial. :cool:

In the nineties, most people would make fun of you for reading that stuff, but now they're super awesome just because mainstream media says so.
I can make disparaging remarks toward you if it'd make you feel better, nerd.

If the Google Glass is part of a prescription set of glasses, and the person does not have a spare pair, then Comic-Con will have to contend with the Americans with Disabilities Act

I must have been living on a different planet in the '90s then...

If the Google Glass is part of a prescription set of glasses, and the person does not have a spare pair, then Comic-Con will have to contend with the Americans with Disabilities Act
I would argue that they are being discriminated on the basis that they are wearing a camera on their face, not because of their disability.

Pretty much this.

Good luck Comic-con! There are already places in Chicago where you can get GG with prescription frames.

And to take this one step further, many places of business do not question whether or not a dog is truly a service dog because they're fearful any lawsuits if they get an overzealous minimum wage security guard who says "that's obviously not a service dog and get out" . Simply saying "these are prescription" whether or not they are might be sufficient enough.

In the future when we all have cameras integrated into our bodies, I think legal changes will have to be made to accommodate that reality.

It's alright, I still have my collection from 88-94. A few thousand books. Most are still worthless, but some are doing pretty well. A lot of great stories in those boxes.

I was one of about 5 people in my high school that collected comics.

I'm not surprised that Google Glass is not allowed. Makes a lot of sense. Take a video camera in. Even if you're not recording, it's not going to fly well. Especially when you are aiming it at folks. Still not recording? Who cares. Put it away.

If they ever figure out how to make prescription Google Glass, we're in serious fucking trouble. Glassholes will simply start saying that it's necessary to wear them.

Just because its still called ComicCon doesn't mean its about comicbooks anymore. Hasn't been for many years.

Just because its still called ComicCon doesn't mean its about comicbooks anymore. Hasn't been for many years.

There were artists at the one in PDX, but I have no clue who any of them are anymore. All the old guys are gone. I'm just now starting to get back into comics, and it's a whole new world. Story lines are all wonky...

If they ever figure out how to make prescription Google Glass, we're in serious fucking trouble. Glassholes will simply start saying that it's necessary to wear them.

I thought they already had, I seem to recall a forum poster saying he had prescription google glass.

Back