Facebook Officially Owns Oculus Now

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like it's all over but the crying. Facebook officially owns Oculus and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Though the $2 billion acquisition was announced way back in March, these kinds of negotiations typically take months to resolve thanks to various regulations. Now they have. Facebook and Oculus released a joint statement today that simply states: "We're looking forward to an exciting future together, building the next computing platform and reimagining the way people communicate."

There is plenty to do, vote with your wallet and buy competing products as they roll out.

And what?

A shitload of money behind an upstart who need money for research and hardware.

John Carmack is involved.

blah blah facebook. I don't even have an account and I love this, either this is market ready or it will fail and facebook takes the tab.

And all the people who donated money to Oculus Rift via Kickstarter will get nothing except exactly what they were promised when they made their donations.

There's no justice.

And all the people who donated money to Oculus Rift via Kickstarter will get nothing except exactly what they were promised when they made their donations.

There's no justice.

yea if your going to fund some thing like this might as well buy a part of the compeny

Facebook is cancer. But I can see its appeal to anyone looking to get laid.

There's no justice.

What else should they get? If you donate at level X and are told you will get Y. That is all you are owed and should get.

If the douches behind the Oculus start-up have any morals they would give each of the Kickstarter investors a deserved cut of that $2,000,000,000.

They don't deserve anything as they were not promising a piece of the company. Kickstarter is not the same as venture capital. The Kickstarters should be happy now that they are pretty much guaranteed they will have all their rewards and that the platform will have the financial resources to succeed. I don't understand the malice.

Im over the whole FB thing, they needed more cash, and now they have it.
As for people crying about kickstarter? what do they expect?
You are not buying stock in the company, your are pledging.."giving money"
Backers that support a project on Kickstarter get an inside look at the creative process, and help that project come to life. They also get to choose from a variety of unique rewards offered by the project creator. Rewards vary from project to project, but often include a copy of what is being produced (CD, DVD, book, etc.) or an experience unique to the project.

Project creators keep 100% ownership of their work, and Kickstarter cannot be used to offer equity, financial returns, or to solicit loans.

If you want a return on your money, then invest in a stock, even then there is no guarantees, if you want guaranteed return, then try bonds or Bank CD's. Stop whining about crowd funding. They owe you nothing, but the pledge amount award, and they cannot actually get the pledged funds until the project is fully funded.

If you wanted to own a piece of Oculus you should have donated a lot more than $300. Go fly your fuckin ass to Cupertino or wherever they are located, schedule a meeting with Palmer, and talk business. You know, kinda like Zuckerberg did. Otherwise stfu and know your role. I gladly gave my $300, played the shit out of the dev kit, and can relish in the fact knowing that because of my contribution a more advanced model is now on the horizon. Thats all I wanted, to help kickstart the VR industry, not become a millionaire stock holder.

If the douches behind the Oculus start-up have any morals they would give each of the Kickstarter investors a deserved cut of that $2,000,000,000.

Sorry but making a smart business decision doesn't make them douches and they most certainly don't owe you any of that money. As mentioned before, KS isn't venture capitalism or investing really for that matter. It is in effect a donation system. The only thing they owe those who funded KS is Exactly what was promised at whatever tier people donated at NOTHING more.This attitude people have that now suddenly they are owed more is stupid plain and simple.

Honestly most of you should be celebrating this. I have made it clear how much contempt I have for Oculus on these boards, but Facebook buying it actually gives the idea a real chance to come to market. Frankly anyone who thought it had a chance of success on what little it made off KS given how insanely expensive it is to bring stand alone hardware to market are fools.

If you wanted to own a piece of Oculus you should have donated a lot more than $300. Go fly your fuckin ass to Cupertino or wherever they are located, schedule a meeting with Palmer, and talk business. You know, kinda like Zuckerberg did. Otherwise stfu and know your role. I gladly gave my $300, played the shit out of the dev kit, and can relish in the fact knowing that because of my contribution a more advanced model is now on the horizon. Thats all I wanted, to help kickstart the VR industry, not become a millionaire stock holder.
+1 - looking forward to DK2, very soon according to OR emails sent out recently..

There is plenty to do, vote with your wallet and buy competing products as they roll out.
Yeah, I was going to say, VR goggles really aren't rocket science. Samsung could spit out something like that in a month. I think they are just waiting to see if there's a real market, or if there's going to be liability issues from people who use them too long and start blowing chunks all over their keyboard or drive a car and crash due to the "hangover" effect from extended hand-eye discoordination.

These were the issues that killed the VR craze in the 90s.

Frankly anyone who thought it had a chance of success on what little it made off KS given how insanely expensive it is to bring stand alone hardware to market are fools.
Heh, and yet still they managed to develop and mass produce some 40,000 units within mere months with a working SDK and developer support to boot, entirely by themselves, with nothing but kickstarter funds. The only reason they sold to facebook was so they could expand at a much more rapid pace. Before the facebook buyout they were already on track to sell the DK2 and consumer version once again on money entirely derived from donations. This just secures their foothold in the industry for years to come.

Yeah, I was going to say, VR goggles really aren't rocket science. Samsung could spit out something like that in a month. I think they are just waiting to see if there's a real market, or if there's going to be liability issues from people who use them too long and start blowing chunks all over their keyboard or drive a car and crash due to the "hangover" effect from extended hand-eye discoordination.

These were the issues that killed the VR craze in the 90s.

VR died in the 90's because quite frankly it just sucked. The graphics sucks. The FOV sucked. The motion tracking sucked. The games themselves were horrible. Starfox on my SNES ran better than the VR machines in the arcade.

VR died in the 90's because quite frankly it just sucked. The graphics sucks. The FOV sucked. The motion tracking sucked. The games themselves were horrible. Starfox on my SNES ran better than the VR machines in the arcade.

In 20 years people will say "VR died in the 2010s because quite frankly it just sucked" when someone else tries to revive it shortly after there's another resurgence of 3D tech and pointless touchscreens fads. :p

LOL Serves them right for being suckers. Once successful businessman told me once "Never use your own money to make money".

People had much lower expectations for graphics and what not, but the fact that after a while some people had to lean up against a wall and try to distract themselves from throwing up their french fries and pizza made for an unenjoyable experience. I recall we also had time limits set on ours as otherwise people were at least thought (never played long enough myself) to have a "discoordination" for a while after long use that would make them dangerous to operate heavy machinery.

Whether or not that still occurs with the Oculus I'll have to experience for myself.

The Norweigan army though did report that it couldn't use them as it made the tank drivers dizzy. Was a good idea using cameras though, so I anticipate they are going to just end up using really high resolution cameras and static LCD displays instead.

In 20 years people will say "VR died in the 2010s because quite frankly it just sucked" when someone else tries to revive it shortly after there's another resurgence of 3D tech and pointless touchscreens fads. :p

You've been here long enough, talking about your pussies but we're yet to seem them. Where are the photos?

You've been here long enough, talking about your pussies but we're yet to seem them. Where are the photos?

I so posted pics of my last kitty and, when the time comes, I'll post a pic or two of the kitten I recently adopted. It's good to know my favorite fluffy little meow has fans. :D

The difference is it doesnt suck right now. Nobody thinks it sucks. Everyone is going ape shit about the Rift. Nobody went ape shit about VR in the 90's. The first time I played VR in the 90's I was like 12 and I immediately thought it was horrible, and I was an impressionable little kid who liked any video game.

Practically nobody outside of developer and journalistic circles have tried the rift. And we all know how full of shit these two are.

Heh, and yet still they managed to develop and mass produce some 40,000 units within mere months with a working SDK and developer support to boot, entirely by themselves, with nothing but kickstarter funds. The only reason they sold to facebook was so they could expand at a much more rapid pace. Before the facebook buyout they were already on track to sell the DK2 and consumer version once again on money entirely derived from donations. This just secures their foothold in the industry for years to come.

There is a monumental difference between delivering "Development Kits" and a polished and ready consumer product. Again not saying they couldn't have, but realistically to deliver the kind of product that needs to be delivered in order for this thing to have a chance at a price point that is acceptable, they were going to be hard pressed. The infusion of Facebook money is far closer to the realistic costs to deliver what you and many others are looking for.

The difference is it doesnt suck right now. Nobody thinks it sucks. Everyone is going ape shit about the Rift. Nobody went ape shit about VR in the 90's. The first time I played VR in the 90's I was like 12 and I immediately thought it was horrible, and I was an impressionable little kid who liked any video game.

There are enough people on this forum alone who think VR sucks right now to prove this statement completely wrong. Also VR was actually hugely hyped when it first came out because nothing like it had been done. It failed obviously due to some serious drawbacks, drawbacks that they have yet to prove they can overcome.

RIght now it's nothing more than another yawn-festival with a limited market appeal. Outside of the niche techie media, there's been little to no attention from the broader world that VR exists. It's like that exercise mat thingey made for the NES. Aside from a few really, really excited people (of which there aren't enough of to make a viable market that can reach a tipping point of sustainable, profitable sales) few know it exists and even fewer care. Even among the small target audience of device- and electronics-worshippers there's apathy and polarity. As a gee wiz exercise, it's sorta interesting but as a product with market potential, it just isn't going to make the cut to buy an accessory to a computer that costs half again as much as the computer its connected to. The broader consumer market where sales would actually offer sustainment treats computing as a disposable commodity and they're not going to spend $100 - $200 on a limited use accessory after spending $300 on a laptop.

You people...so demanding. :p

3518z9y.jpg

Practically nobody outside of developer and journalistic circles have tried the rift. And we all know how full of shit these two are.

Over 85,000 rifts have been sold, and probably most of them to consumers. I'd say thats a fairly significant sample size to indicate if it's a quality product or not.

There is a monumental difference between delivering "Development Kits" and a polished and ready consumer product.
Thats what makes the rift so remarkable, the DK1 was for all intents and purposes a complete product. It looked and felt like a fully functioning toy ready to use. This is the most polished alpha unit I have ever seen. Thats why the vast majority of buyers were actually end users such as myself, because it was that damn good. Oculus was actually frustrated at one point because they were having to fulfill so many orders for an audience it was never intended for. They were hoping for something like 10,000 purchases exclusively by developers and end up selling almost 10x that just so gamers could goof around. It kinda hurt their development/production cycle but hey, it's money, so they might as well produce them and build their bankroll.

There are enough people on this forum alone who think VR sucks right now to prove this statement completely wrong.
I'm willing to bet most everyone on this forum who knocks the Rift havent even tried it. Or just happen to fall into the 10% of people who are hyper sensitive to motion sickness and therefore will never be able to enjoy it.

Also VR was actually hugely hyped when it first came out because nothing like it had been done. It failed obviously due to some serious drawbacks, drawbacks that they have yet to prove they can overcome.
The hype VR got was just paid PR publicity. The general public's reaction to it was a failure. The Rift is the exact opposite. Most of the publicity the Rift gets is from people like me bragging about it on forums, real world actual users.

Back