WD Expands NAS Storage Offerings With 6 TB, 5-Platter Hard Drive

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital® (NASDAQ:WDC) company, and world leader in storage solutions, today announced the expansion of its award-winning WD Red® line of SATA hard drives for home and small office NAS (network attached storage) systems with the release of a 5 TB1 and first-to-market 6 TB capacity for NAS-specific storage and the introduction of WD Red Pro hard drives that address the medium to large business NAS market. Compatibility-tested with top NAS system manufacturers and optimized for power and performance, WD Red 3.5-inch hard drives are now shipping in 1 TB to 6 TB capacities; and the new WD Red Pro 3.5-inch hard drives are available in 2 TB to 4 TB capacities.

took them damn long enough i was afraid id have to buy segate drives for my nas :)

I've had (5) 3 TB reds fail over 2 years. They all started clicking 1-2 days before shitting the bed. Would not buy again. Don't think I've had a replacement drive die yet but time will tell.

I've had (5) 3 TB reds fail over 2 years. They all started clicking 1-2 days before shitting the bed. Would not buy again.

A certain % of Drives (usually less than 10%) from all manufacturers (even enterprise models) arrive DOA or fail before 1 year. Although bad luck in your case this is expected and does not in any way mean there is a problem with quality control.

I've had (5) 3 TB reds fail over 2 years. They all started clicking 1-2 days before shitting the bed. Would not buy again. Don't think I've had a replacement drive die yet but time will tell.

Who'd you buy them from? I know certain places don't ship drives well. I've even had 3rd party Prime shipments show up with no protection.

I had 2 WD reds die from newegg (0 protection) died within 30 days. Got replacements from WD some nice protection and they've been going strong over a year now.

My drive failure woes pretty much vanished when I put my server on a UPS. I bought five 4TB REDs about a year ago (or more) and they're still going 24/7.

Previously? Seagate, WD, HGST, all rode the failtrain to sucktown. The exception was Samsung. But they don't make mechanical drives anymore...

Are you f'n shitting me? I just bought several 4 TB drives for a NAS literally last night...oh well, maybe I'll pick these up to use as backup drives.

Dang, can you not edit your own posts here?

Anyways that article says, "Available now at select U.S. retailers and distributors"...I can't find any on Amazon. Can anyone find a site with them listed right now? I wonder if some sites will have them by this time next week?

Tom's had one of the WD Reb 6GB fail during their testing. Seems like there are lots of complaints around the web. I just lost a WD green 3 weeks ago. For once I had a backup, lol.

I've had all 6 drives (Seagate ES 250GB SATA) in a raid 5 + hotspare fail over the period of a couple years. Usually, just one at a time, but once it was the hotspare + one of the raid drives.

I've had all 6 drives (Seagate ES 250GB SATA) in a raid 5 + hotspare fail over the period of a couple years. Usually, just one at a time, but once it was the hotspare + one of the raid drives.

What does that have to do with anything, and how old are those drives?

Back