Microsoft to Cut off All ‘External Staff’ After 18 Months

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The times, they are still a-changin' over at Microsoft. Along with the company announcement of the massive worldwide layoffs from earlier this week, a Microsoft internal memo issued on Friday afternoon limits the use of ‘external staff’ and imposes controls on vendors’ access to Microsoft grounds and project information.

The memo says the goal of the change is to “better protect our Microsoft IP and confidential information”

They are trying to stop people like me from stirring the pot over their leaked info.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1825720

I say a better solution is to fix the problem. Stop making crappy products!

Have to agree, their enterprise stuff is getting bloated with complexity and yet still continues to lack features EVERYONE needs.

Our SCCM 2012 migration went horrible due to client issues and just confusing and complex methods of management and behavior. Reporting is difficult if not useless now... "Over engineered, and designed by software programmers" is written all over the product. I swear they don't have a single person that has worked in support of normal users... their view is purely on MS employees.

Even then they ignore them, like a HUGE bug that broke 80% of our clients... it happened at MS and their devs ignored the issue because it wasn't a customer complain... Well 8k busted clients later... and a MS tech trip to our location to finally get a patch 6 months from now.

Its weird the simplest little things are what makes a product and generally MS doesn't bother. In SCCM 2012, if an app doesn't meet requirements it gives a generic error with a list of about 10 different causes... Well since it failed they should know specifically what failed... one would think it would be easy to show a specific reason but nah...

Still waiting for a time where I can simply export a group list from ADUCs, nope gotta script that....

In SCCM 2012, if an app doesn't meet requirements it gives a generic error with a list of about 10 different causes... Well since it failed they should know specifically what failed... one would think it would be easy to show a specific reason but nah...

Well, in fairness, there is a certain danger with a company relying on closed-source software for business-critical needs. I know it's not always so clear-cut but if I was running a business I'd be terrified of being wholly dependent on some outside shop -- especially one as incompetent as MS.

Have to agree, their enterprise stuff is getting bloated with complexity and yet still continues to lack features EVERYONE needs.

Our SCCM 2012 migration went horrible due to client issues and just confusing and complex methods of management and behavior. Reporting is difficult if not useless now... "Over engineered, and designed by software programmers" is written all over the product. I swear they don't have a single person that has worked in support of normal users... their view is purely on MS employees.

Even then they ignore them, like a HUGE bug that broke 80% of our clients... it happened at MS and their devs ignored the issue because it wasn't a customer complain... Well 8k busted clients later... and a MS tech trip to our location to finally get a patch 6 months from now.

Its weird the simplest little things are what makes a product and generally MS doesn't bother. In SCCM 2012, if an app doesn't meet requirements it gives a generic error with a list of about 10 different causes... Well since it failed they should know specifically what failed... one would think it would be easy to show a specific reason but nah...

Still waiting for a time where I can simply export a group list from ADUCs, nope gotta script that....

Yeah, they've never been that great at presenting errors. For example an IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL error should be able to tell you the device that caused it based in the bus info. But they seem to get to the basic part and let the rest be burried in log files.

Now that's funny shit. I work at contractor XYZ and after 18 months I get kicked out, 6 months no pay as the project I was working on is so MS focused. So now I go work for Goggle and obviously remember everything I was working on for MS. 6 months goes by, and I and happy and not going back, plus google get the benefit of my legal acquired knowledge, like it or not, that is what happens.

MS is shooting themselves in the foot. I'll bet they change policies again in 37 months. LOL

By "External staff" I took it to mean Indian/H1-B Visa employees.

Even if the company is generally doing ok, going through some layoffs and scaring the crap out of their employees by cutting out some fat, will probably do them some good. The people that are left will typically become more productive (and not necessarily because they might end up with more work to do).

Every place has a few shitty managers/supervisors, etc. and if they can get rid of the bad apples in a process like this might make some employees happier.

Welcome to having a new CEO. Its the same shit except since its Microsoft everyone is paying attention. Lets hope he doesn't fuck up the company like he did with Nokia.

Back