Xbox One Sales "More Than Double" In June

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's amazing what a $100 price cut can do. Obviously "more than double" doesn't tell us much but I think we can all agree that the $100 price drop was the right move.

Over the past month, we’ve seen a strong spike in interest in our Xbox One console options, including the new $399 offering, and the amazing lineup of games announced during E3. Since the new Xbox One offering launched on June 9th, we’ve seen sales of Xbox One more than double* in the US, compared to sales in May, and solid growth in Xbox 360 sales.

I love my Kinect and feel it was worth the extra $100. It is good that people have options though. Being able to switch games on the fly, snap TV, while watching movies or TV, I can pause and resume without a controller. The last thing I'm waiting for is the ability to upload my music and play over games like I could on the Xbox 360.

Console - Percentage of Software Sales From April-June 2014 for Ubisoft

PlayStation 4 36%
Xbox One 17%
PlayStation 3 17%
Xbox 360 14%
PC 14%
Wii 1%
Mobile/Other 1%

(missing is Wii U, Vita, 3DS as Ubisoft has nothing good for those platforms)

-------------------------

Sony spent $59 million on PlayStation 4 ads from Jan. 1 through May 2014, while Microsoft spent $34.7 million during the same time frame. http://www.ibtimes.com/ps4-vs-xbox-...re-advertising-microsoft-january-2014-1617944

------------------------

Sony Beats Microsoft in Console Sales for Fifth Month (June 17, 2014)

-----------------------

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) said U.S. retailers sold 140,000 Xbox 360 units in June, helping it retain the top-selling spot for game consoles for the 30th straight month. (July 18, 2014)

Console - Percentage of Software Sales From April-June 2014 for Ubisoft

PlayStation 4 36%
Xbox One 17%
PlayStation 3 17%
Xbox 360 14%
PC 14%
Wii 1%
Mobile/Other 1%

To be fair that's Ubisoft sales, not all game sales. As we know, Ubisoft games are buggy and crap for PC. VGcharts has global software by platform.

PS3 974,032 (-8%) 803,412,495
X360 731,180 (+3%) 864,205,956
3DS 446,374 (-5%) 138,439,752
PS4 386,757 (-19%) 23,084,356
Wii 275,834 (+3%) 877,218,679
PC 248,249 (-8%) N/A
WiiU 245,570 (-8%) 27,007,046
DS 211,999 (-0%) 782,505,971
XOne 204,934 (-7%) 16,049,228
PSV 159,941 (-54%) 25,074,073
PSP 70,193 (-0%) 283,259,305

And what are the top selling games right now? The only PC game that made the list at 44 was Diablo III (PC). Sony and Nintendo are looking pretty good right now. Watch Dogs was a huge hit for both the PS4 and PS3.

1 WiiU Mario Kart 8 103,970
2 3DS Tomodachi Life 74,315
3 PS3 Minecraft 67,669
4 PS4 Sniper Elite 3 66,422
5 PS4 Watch Dogs 62,980
6 X360 Minecraft 48,011
7 PS3 Watch Dogs 46,133
8 PS4 EA Sports UFC 45,595
9 PSV Freedom Wars 42,850
10 3DS Pokemon X/Y 42,374

What's funny is that the "price drop" was actually a price INCREASE. Consider that the Kinect 2.0 is being sold separately for $200 (the announced price for the Windows version, the Bone version should be the same price) and the XBOne itself is $400, so MS in fact increased the price of the Xbone with the new $400 SKU, by $100. A few caught it, but the majority went "meh, I don't even console" and went back to playing on PC.

I don't understand how the XBOne, a machine 50% as powerful as the PS4, can sell for the same price as it's competition. That would be like a GTX760 selling for the same price as an R9-290x. At least with Kinect there was the promise of a unique experience, but this "cheaper" sku just makes no sense from a logical perspective. MS isn't even a good 1st party (anymore)!

The only PC game that made the list at 44 was Diablo III (PC).
Well the Ubisoft figures are more damning, although they didn't do themselves favors by breaking performance on the AMD side, enforcing Uplay, and intentionally downgrading the graphics, then lying about it. If they had done everything right, I doubt that would accounted for more than another 5% though.

As for the other figures, using VGchartz to track PC sales is like using newspaper sales to track which news organizations are the biggest. Steam figures aren't disclosed and I'm not not sure if they even track digital distributions. Ubisoft said that 70% of their sales for the PC were digital, to give you an idea of the possible real numbers.

I don't understand how the XBOne, a machine 50% as powerful as the PS4, can sell for the same price as it's competition. That would be like a GTX760 selling for the same price as an R9-290x. At least with Kinect there was the promise of a unique experience, but this "cheaper" sku just makes no sense from a logical perspective. MS isn't even a good 1st party (anymore)!

Actually, the xbox one is 10% as powerful as the PS4.

I don't understand how the XBOne, a machine 50% as powerful as the PS4, can sell for the same price as it's competition.

Where are you getting this metric from?

People getting off on numbers to prove their E-penis size...when it really boils down to is how well does the game play...its not like your going to see a huge difference between a 1080p vs 900p game (PS4 vs Xbone) on a TV that maxes out at 1080p.

Hell I went from 1920x1200 display to a 3440x1440 display and outside of an improved FOV, there really wasn't any huge improvement visually gaming wise.

As long as the game looks good and isn't buggy, it doesn't matter what platform its on for me.

More than double of May, but May's number was total disaster cause folks held off on buying the Xbone due to the price cut. Also still not #1 for the month, even with the $100 price cut and the folks who held off from buying one in May.

price may be the same as the PS4 and both doesnt have a camera out of the box... but the Xbone is still a weaker console, you can see that by all the multiplat games that have lower resolutions or frames per second than the PS4 version.

The fun number will be to see the sale numbers for July, is this new sales the norm or will it drop?

I love my Kinect and feel it was worth the extra $100. It is good that people have options though. Being able to switch games on the fly, snap TV, while watching movies or TV, I can pause and resume without a controller. The last thing I'm waiting for is the ability to upload my music and play over games like I could on the Xbox 360.

I like mine, but it's not worth $100 yet. I need an extension cable for it (as do a lot of people). Right now, all it does is voice commands. If I want to play a game with the Kinect, I have to move the whole XBox closer to the front of the room (I have the Xbox in a media rack with the stereo, BR player, etc. - about 15' from the front). Doesn't make it easy.

This is the first good move I have seen Microsoft make in a while.
By "good move" I mean a move that actually makes any sense.

To be fair, sales really took off when they dropped it $100. ;)

I bought mine when the Titanfall package went to $449 (plus I had some Amazon gift cards). So, I paid about $429 for mine, with Kinect and Titanfall. I wouldn't have done it at $499.

Well the Kinect is a controller in it's own right, but one I don't have to reach for.

I have all my games digital and I can easily say "Xbox go to Dead Rising 3" and switches without needing to swap discs and does so pretty quickly. Not sure why the ::eye rolling::, please do explain.

Well the Kinect is a controller in it's own right, but one I don't have to reach for.

I have all my games digital and I can easily say "Xbox go to Dead Rising 3" and switches without needing to swap discs and does so pretty quickly. Not sure why the ::eye rolling::, please do explain.

I think because with PC, one never needs to swap, or ever use, discs.
The voice commands are a nice feature for a console, but not really needed on a PC.

At least that's what I think he was going for.

I like mine, but it's not worth $100 yet. I need an extension cable for it (as do a lot of people). Right now, all it does is voice commands. If I want to play a game with the Kinect, I have to move the whole XBox closer to the front of the room (I have the Xbox in a media rack with the stereo, BR player, etc. - about 15' from the front). Doesn't make it easy.

I Haven't used the Kinect for the camera either, it does turn on my TV, DirecTV DVR, and my Sound System upon resuming from standby, simply by walking in the room and saying ""Xbox On".

The Kinect cord could be longer but was not an issue for me.

Where are you getting this metric from?

People getting off on numbers to prove their E-penis size...when it really boils down to is how well does the game play...its not like your going to see a huge difference between a 1080p vs 900p game (PS4 vs Xbone) on a TV that maxes out at 1080p.

Hell I went from 1920x1200 display to a 3440x1440 display and outside of an improved FOV, there really wasn't any huge improvement visually gaming wise.

As long as the game looks good and isn't buggy, it doesn't matter what platform its on for me.

Xbox uses what is essentially a Radeon 7790 for a GPU tied to DDR3, the PS4 uses a Radeon 7870 (stripped to 1152 shader cores, so in between a Radeon 7850 and 7870) tied to GDDR5. Due to DDR3, the 7790 in the XBOne is brought down to Radeon 7750 performance levels, the 7870-class GPU in the PS4 maybe a little more powerful than a regular 7850 (1152 shader cores vs 1024) and is tied to it's native memory(GDDR5). Bear in mind, most devs have said that the ESRAM in the XBOne has proven to be more of a hindrance than an asset, so it's not going to make up for that bandwidth collapse that the 7790 gets going from GDDR5 to DDR3, essentially neutering a 7790 to 7750 or worse performance levels.

The XBOne uses an AMD 8-Core Jaguar static-clocked at 1.75Ghz, the PS4 uses a similar CPU, but with Turbo-Core enabled with 3 clock rates. 1.6Ghz - Heavy GPU usage/Light CPU, 2.0Ghz Even GPU/CPU Usage, and 2.75Ghz - Heavy CPU Usage light GPU usage.

Just looking at GPUs, and I assume most people on this forum know, the Radeon 7850 is in a different class completely from the Radeon 7750. Taking in the more flexible APU(variable clocks on the CPU portion) of the PS4 into consideration, 50% is being generous to the XBOne.

If the XBOne used GDDR5 and I would say it would be much closer, but still slower as Radeon 7850>7790, not 50% as slow, but still more than 10%.

All that is looking at the pure hardware angle, I haven't even gotten into the issues Devs have had with working on XBOne hardware vs PS4. Or the fact that the 7790 in the XBOne has 10% of itself dedicated to Kinect knocking down performance even further.

I don't care about hardware either, as long as the game is good it does not matter to me. Mario Kart 8 is amazing fun and very good looking too, and that has the weakest hardware, but it's priced appropriately-ish. The issue is, why would anyone get an XBone, when a better playing experience, friends, better graphics, can be found on either PS4 or a PC?

If you already have an XBOne, there ARE great games like Sunset OverDrive and Forza Horizon, that won't be available for anything else(right now), so enjoy those. But it really is a titanic misconception that the PS4 and XBOne are even comparable at a hardware level, because of similar hardware, that have vastly different performance profiles.

I think because with PC, one never needs to swap, or ever use, discs.
The voice commands are a nice feature for a console, but not really needed on a PC.

At least that's what I think he was going for.

Understood if so.

All the same were not talking about a PC in this thread. The thread is about the Xbox One and selling for $100 less without a Kinect. I was just saying for the extra $100 I was happy with my purchase of my Kinect with the console. With an example of why.

One could argue the point of needing UPlay, Origin, or Steam to play games without a disc or hack. This is topic of discussion for another thread though.

Not sure why the ::eye rolling::, please do explain.

I think it was due to the underlined stuff - Switching games... without a controller. If you're playing a game, you have a controller (except for some Kinect games).

I find the Xbox great at voice controls. It's convenient. Not $100 convenient, but it's a definite plus.

One could argue the point of needing UPlay, Origin, or Steam to play games without a disc or hack. This is topic of discussion for another thread though.

Not to hijack the thread, but almost zero PC games at this point in time need, or even utilize, discs.
Almost everything is done through Steam, Origin, or UPlay, and has been since around 2009 or 2010.

Even I haven't physically bought a game with discs since 2008 or so, the last being Cryostasis.

I don't understand how the XBOne, a machine 50% as powerful as the PS4, can sell for the same price as it's competition.

Because of blind brand inertia. Its like how kids get excited when they hear the words "Call of Duty", or "Happy Meal"

3PjcxlO.png

this chart, i love the bias scale used to promote.

I have an xbone, bought it and enjoy it quite a bit. Lesser hardware or not I have a great time playing and have never had much issue with MS service they provide. Hardware power alone wasn't enough for me to switch to ps4. Not sure what the big deal is about comparing the two. These two systems sparked more fanboism than snes and sega did lol. I probably will end up with as ps4 as well anyways once the xbone figures out how to red ring. lol

... But it really is a titanic misconception that the PS4 and XBOne are even comparable at a hardware level, because of similar hardware, that have vastly different performance profiles.

One that can't be seen in gameplay right next to each other. Serious I'm up to about 3 dozen people and no one can reliably pick out the better looking game. Some people will pick the PS4 others pick the X1. In screen shots it's much easier to examine and pick the better of the two but once gameplay starts it's how they play that matters and right now as it stand the X1 offers a better gaming experience for myself and my friends over the ps4.

Wii U beats both right now though but that will change as the libraries mature.

One that can't be seen in gameplay right next to each other. Serious I'm up to about 3 dozen people and no one can reliably pick out the better looking game. Some people will pick the PS4 others pick the X1. In screen shots it's much easier to examine and pick the better of the two but once gameplay starts it's how they play that matters and right now as it stand the X1 offers a better gaming experience for myself and my friends over the ps4.

Wii U beats both right now though but that will change as the libraries mature.

With both consoles still dealing with cross gen games you're going to get that. The differences will probably be much more pronounced once devs (first party moreso) grasp the extra muscle the PS4 has (and I am not discussing the simple ROPS and Shader Core advantage either), they put a lot of focus on GPGPU functions, volatile caches, and extra buses to get around normal bottle necks.

That said I'm not worried about the Xbox One, it'll do well enough in the west I believe.

It's still as much as but not as good as the Sony PS4. No thanks Microsoft.

The xbox one still is the lame duck between the two top contenders. The Wii U is doing horribly. Nintendo may get out of the console race after the Wii U. Maybe.

The xbox one still is the lame duck between the two top contenders. The Wii U is doing horribly. Nintendo may get out of the console race after the Wii U. Maybe.

They won't get out after the Wii U, they have enough money for another bad console if it comes to it. They sold around 140k this month so with an additional week of sales and Mario Kart it did alright averaging 28,000 units a week. Last month they averaged 15,000 a week.

July will be the interesting month to see if that can be sustained though. Granted they still placed last in the US and their 3DS is outselling it. World Wide they likely sold more than the Xbox One so I guess that's good for Nintendo and bad for Microsoft. Nintendo is actually selling better than the PS4 in Japan atm.

Back