Texting Doesn't Hurt Kids' Grammar Or Spelling Skills

HardOCP News

[H] News
If your kid can send 43 texts per minute but can't spell worth a crap, don't blame texting, he was probably a dumb ass to begin with. ;)

Texting has become the dominant form of communication among teens, with the average American teen sending and receiving thousands of texts each month. This has led to widespread concerns that the informal spelling and grammar used in texts (termed "textisms" by researchers) would erode these kids' ability to use proper language.

I have a newsflash for these researchers; 90% of this planet can't use proper language. Or worse, they know but won't because it's really inconvenient to end a sentence with a period.

My opinion is that it doesn't hurt their grammer or spelling because they never learn the correct way in the first place!

Mind you I was horrible at both long before texting lol.

I have a newsflash for these researchers; 90% of this planet can't use proper language. Or worse, they know but won't because it's really inconvenient to end a sentence with a period.

What about starting a sentence with a conjunction? Misuse of commas is also quite prevalent. :p

I text in complete sentences with proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. My wife thinks I am insane.

I text in complete sentences with proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. My wife thinks I am insane.

I do this most of the time as well. Occasionally I'll come across somebody who does the same thing. A little verbal high-fiving occurs. While I do punctuate things correctly, I tend to text in a slightly more conversational/verbal style. So grammar isn't always perfect. <---like this last sentence. (...which is also what I was poking fun of Megalith for...) I also tend to abuse the ellipsis...

I type my texts out, like a man. It bothers me when my friends, who are otherwise very intelligent, use "u" and "ur" in their texts. It is like I am conversing with a completely different person. Written language effects how others view your level of intelligence, regardless of the medium.

I do the same. When I reading something, I'm pronouncing it in my mind, so if one types like they're retarded they're going to sound retarded in my mental space. I picture them as having Jeff K. (internet flashback!) levels of intellect even if they have a PhD.

Fuck not being able to spell, these things cause cancer.

You remember when everyone use to smoke cigarettes because they didn't know it caused cancer?

Well that is what is happening right now...
There are unlimited sources and studies that state - prolong use of these devices will cause cancer or other type of illness.

Our grandchildren will look at old pictures of us with our cellphones and say.. "so ignorant"

If your going to argue that they don't .. well when almost everyone is the US is spending 500-700 bucks on a new iphone 3 times a year. There is a lot of $$$$$$$$ reason to state that they don't cause illness. I keep my cellphone away from me and my children as much as possible,

What's insane about that?

I mean... I've been using the new swype-style keyboard + predictive text in Windows Phone 8.1, and its INCREDIBLY fast to type full sentences with punctuation. It actually takes extra effort to go back and use "text speak" abbreviations.

Fuck not being able to spell, these things cause cancer.

You remember when everyone use to smoke cigarettes because they didn't know it caused cancer?

Well that is what is happening right now...
There are unlimited sources and studies that state - prolong use of these devices will cause cancer or other type of illness.

Our grandchildren will look at old pictures of us with our cellphones and say.. "so ignorant"

If your going to argue that they don't .. well when almost everyone is the US is spending 500-700 bucks on a new iphone 3 times a year. There is a lot of $$$$$$$$ reason to state that they don't cause illness. I keep my cellphone away from me and my children as much as possible,
At the very least it's going to destroy humanity's eyesight and dexterity. A big deal was made about the health risks of working extended hours on a regular ol' desktop computer; that pales in comparison to spending all day staring at a tiny screen inches from your face and poking it with your thumbs.

Eye right butter!

Porkchop sandwiches!

Detective, I did no going and then you tell me do things, I done runnin'...

I just had to interject with an obligatory Fenslerfilm GI Joe PSA gibberish comment there - carry on.

What's insane about that?

I mean... I've been using the new swype-style keyboard + predictive text in Windows Phone 8.1, and its INCREDIBLY fast to type full sentences with punctuation. It actually takes extra effort to go back and use "text speak" abbreviations.

Same. I'm using SwiftKey on both my phone and tablet. Much faster than figuring out text speak.

I never thought txting (which is what I call texting that uses abbreviations and stuff, like ur, etc.) hurt grammar for kids. It just doesn't improve it at all, where using good grammar does.

My opinion is that it doesn't hurt their grammer or spelling because they never learn the correct way in the first place!

The modern day education system is atrocious and when you factor in the need to "txt lk dis" then you end up sounding like a moron.

The only time I purposely screw up my grammar is when on Twitter.

I can always tell when someone is just being lazy or using shorthand vs some tard who genuinely cant spell for shit.

This.

My niece is 17. She can text like a madwoman. She just got her first real writing assignment inn high-school, and she is in AP classes. That might be the source of the problem there. Prove you can write a paragraph in like 4th grade, ignore it until they throw a couple critical essays and a research paper at you so they can claim they prepared you for college before the door smacks you in the ass on the way out.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Berkeley-pushes-for-cancer-stickers-on-cell-phones-5621382.php

1st link I saw and it was posted today! I hope they do win in Sept and are able to put those stickers on cellphones. After that its up to the individual to make a decision.
That article looks like pure nonsense.

Right from the cancer.gov page on cellphones:

However, although many studies have examined the potential health effects of non-ionizing radiation from radar, microwave ovens, and other sources, there is currently no consistent evidence that non-ionizing radiation increases cancer risk

Pure nonsense??? An entire city banning the sales of cellphones with out stickers warning consumers??
Yup, pure nonsense.

Post all the links you want to sensationalist news articles, but none of them have any proof that the radio emissions of cell phones cause cancer. Warning stickers for cell phones have no solid basis for existing.

The energies at-play are simply too low to be damaging. Your cell phone operates in a range between 800MHz and 2.4GHz, which is below visible light. That's between 125 and 375 times lower than infra-red (and nobody is calling IR a carcinogen).

Porkchop sandwiches!

Detective, I did no going and then you tell me do things, I done runnin'...

I just had to interject with an obligatory Fenslerfilm GI Joe PSA gibberish comment there - carry on.

Bloody marvelous!!!!! I used that EXACT reference two days ago. :D Now give him the stick... NO DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK!!!

Pure nonsense??? An entire city banning the sales of cellphones with out stickers warning consumers??

The National Cancer Institute is wrong.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-cancer-risk-the-media-might-be-wrong/242723/

The FDA has never approved a drug that harmed anyone either!

Ok, how about this? Do you personally know someone who got cancer using a cell phone? Was it determined without a doubt to be the sole cause? People that live in cities automatically have higher risk for cancer because of the air their breathing. I'm not buying the cell-phone thing... Unless the transmitters were powerful enough to cause radio-frequency burns, causing scarring of tissue, causing mutations, causing tumors, I'm not seeing it. I'm not an expert, but there are some fairly logical conclusions you can draw based on how such a device operates.

Maybe strapping yourself to a cell tower for a few years could do a bit of damage... Who knows...

Oh my effing god... I just used their instead of they're in a sentence. It's one of my absolute most hated pet-peeves of grammar. Ugh... I mean, I honestly can't believe that just slipped in there. Color me embarrassed... (completely serious by the way... that was dumb)

Back