ASUS Maximus VII Gene micro-ATX Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS Maximus VII Gene micro-ATX Motherboard Review - Generally speaking ASUS Republic of Gamers motherboards set the bar extremely high in all categories. Fortunately motherboards have nothing in common with films and generally the sequels are as good if not better than the originals. In films this is almost never the case. Does ASUS have another hit with this micro-ATX sized motherboard?

About that USB install issue. I'm not sure what it is, but I've run into this too. However, it was solved by using a different tool to create the bootable flash drive. I can't remember off the top of my head which tool that was, but I can try to dig it up later. It may not be the same problem you had, but the symptoms were similar.

About that USB install issue. I'm not sure what it is, but I've run into this too. However, it was solved by using a different tool to create the bootable flash drive. I can't remember off the top of my head which tool that was, but I can try to dig it up later. It may not be the same problem you had, but the symptoms were similar.

We used to see this all the time, mostly on AMD motherboards. Most likely a compatibility issue with the older USB flash drive that Dan was using. That said, I think USB stick I load off is 5 years or older.

I'm really surprised by the DPC latency in the review.
I just ran that tool on my board and all I see is yellow/red bars. Not a single green bar.

EDIT: Nevermind. That tool is not compatible with Windows 8.

Last edited:
Getting kind of sick of chipsets and mobos that include USB 2.0. I know this isn't entirely ASUS' fault, but come on now, why do we not want all USB 3.0 already?

Get your shit together Intel.

Fixed, thanks for the extra eyes. - KYLE

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting kind of sick of chipsets and mobos that include USB 2.0. I know this isn't entirely ASUS' fault, but come on now, why do we not want all USB 3.0 already?

Get your shit together Intel.

All good till you need to use USB devices before you have a OS with USB3 drivers...at least in my experience.

But, isn't USB 3.0 backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices/connections? So, theoretically, you don't need USB 2.0 on motherboards anymore. If that's true, then I totally concur with BloodyIron. :)

I have another complaint, sorry. ;)

Where is the mini-itx version of this ROG board?!?! C'mon, Asus, get your act together! :mad: ;)

I'd recommend Rufus

But, isn't USB 3.0 backwards compatible with USB 2.0 devices/connections? So, theoretically, you don't need USB 2.0 on motherboards anymore. If that's true, then I totally concur with BloodyIron. :)

I have another complaint, sorry. ;)

Where is the mini-itx version of this ROG board?!?! C'mon, Asus, get your act together! :mad: ;)

Theoretically doesn't always work too well. :D

Heh still using my Gene IV. Great board.

Hard to argue putting that in the trash bin.

Will that M.2 slot work for an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 adapter? I like the board, I'd just like to be able to use the PCI slots for SLI rather than network adapter...

Well, poo.

Are there any other solutions that are more elegant than a USB stick protruding out of the case for a network adapter?

Given you want to use SLI, you ARE pretty much stuck with a USB type wifi, as the X4 connector will be under the second card.

Kyle, Dan, thnx for the review - I have the Hero VII board and a 4790K, similar UEFI bios. Did you guys try the full initialisation setting to get the USB stick recognised? I had to do this to upgrade the bios to 1002, as the(very old .5 GB music player)USB stick was invisible when setting was partial initialisation.thnx ahead for reply...

Well, poo.

Are there any other solutions that are more elegant than a USB stick protruding out of the case for a network adapter?

A mPCIe WIFI/Bluetooth card (like the GC-WB300D or maybe the GC-WB867D-I) would work fine with this motherboard so this could be an alternative.

Last edited:
Kyle, Dan, thnx for the review - I have the Hero VII board and a 4790K, similar UEFI bios. Did you guys try the full initialisation setting to get the USB stick recognised? I had to do this to upgrade the bios to 1002, as the(very old .5 GB music player)USB stick was invisible when setting was partial initialisation.thnx ahead for reply...

No I didn't.

I think you're confused.
Intel Wireless-AC 7260 is a mini PCIe card, you can plug it into the mPCIe slot on this board.
Unfortunately, you'll have to make your own holes in the I/O shield in order to mount antennas. I don't know why they didn't think of that.

Thanks for another great review, [H].

The Gene line has always been amazing, and I'm glad to see that being perpetuated.

Unfortunately, you'll have to make your own holes in the I/O shield in order to mount antennas. I don't know why they didn't think of that.

Not sure what you are talking about, the I/O shield already has holes for the antennas.

asus_maximus_vii_gene_mlacom_2_zps9b9f4195.jpg

Plus I have the board, so I know it doesn't require any modding.

Looking at this board for a build to use some DDR3 sitting around, and unused GTX 680 on an unused mATX Q6600 build from years ago. Noticed a typo in second sentence "The software package is an evolutionary step above the previous iteration of the software rather than an evolutionary one." I'm sure you can find it. Other than the board & CPU everything else is acquired. I thought a bit about investing more into a build and going for the i7-5820, but it's occasional use only at this point, so this investment should last me quite a while (maybe not as long as the Q6600 but we'll see lol).

Anyway, once my local Micro Center gets the i7-4790k back in stock I'll be 'jumping on board', thanks for the review!

I just picked one up and it won't boot with ram in the first 2 slots. Second 2 are okay to put ram in. Not very pleased considering the price of this board. Only my second Asus board and both have been malfunctioning.

I just picked one up and it won't boot with ram in the first 2 slots. Second 2 are okay to put ram in. Not very pleased considering the price of this board. Only my second Asus board and both have been malfunctioning.
This happens when you use Aftermarket coolers that require you to screw in mount holders for the heatsink. If you aren't careful, you wind up scratching into the layer where the RAM traces are for bank A. I was luckily able to RMA a board I fubar'ed and get replacement. I used insulation washers that protected the motherboard, and all 4 slots work like a champ.

Now if I can only figure out why my H80i is only able to keep the CPU running at 40c idle and 90+c when under full load... I'm constantly hitting 80's while gaming. All this while not overclocking either.. :(

This happens when you use Aftermarket coolers that require you to screw in mount holders for the heatsink. If you aren't careful, you wind up scratching into the layer where the RAM traces are for bank A. I was luckily able to RMA a board I fubar'ed and get replacement. I used insulation washers that protected the motherboard, and all 4 slots work like a champ.

Now if I can only figure out why my H80i is only able to keep the CPU running at 40c idle and 90+c when under full load... I'm constantly hitting 80's while gaming. All this while not overclocking either.. :(

hows the thermal paste?

hows the thermal paste?

It's fine. I've cleaned and re-applied AC5 at least twice on this install so far. I've made some strides in finding the culprit so far:
  • Noticed that the default voltage the CPU was running at was 1.26v. This was a bit discerning for me, as I wasn't even trying to OC yet.
  • No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the BIOS to allow me to lower the voltage. (I chalk this up to inexperience with the BIOS)
  • I downloaded and applied the most recent BIOS (2501). That lowered the default voltage down to 1.04v, and now that voltage is variable depending on load. When I'm running Prime95 that voltage climbs to 1.12v.
  • Temps now are MUCH more acceptable. Idle temps are around 27-30c, with loaded temps in the 60's.

This is getting me to a turbo boost of up to 4.4 (4.2 when all the cores are exercised). Now to see if I can get a solid OC of 4.6 to run. That'll be tonight's experiment.

Back