Oculus VR Clamps Down On eBay Rift Re-Selling

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are trying to get your hands on an Oculus Rift, do not buy one off eBay. If you do, the company says "you are on your own."

"We found this guy's order and cancelled it," cybereality wrote. "We don't allow resale of the development kit. "We also don't provide warranty on second-hand sales, so if you buy on eBay you are on your own."

Hard for me to take seriously a company with a community manager named "cybereality" and customer service lead named "Twistgibber". I have a feeling that this product will be in perpetual "beta" for a long time.

Hard for me to take seriously a company with a community manager named "cybereality" and customer service lead named "Twistgibber". I have a feeling that this product will be in perpetual "beta" for a long time.

You should meet Razer co., the very logo of that company would insult your very sense of corporate might and poise, never mind the online handles that the executives use.

How can they enforce that? My dev kit doesn't have any restrictions on resale.

They can't impose such a restriction on resale. They can refuse to support the product, but that's the extent of what they can do. You're still free to re-sell the kit down the line if you want.

They can't impose such a restriction on resale. They can refuse to support the product, but that's the extent of what they can do. You're still free to re-sell the kit down the line if you want.

Well no kidding, but that's not what is pissing Oculus VR off. They're not interested in scalpers buying up a bunch of units and gouging.

It is mind boggling that anyone would bitch about Oculus VR doing the right thing here.

I cant believe they are still selling these things?
I thought the project was discontinued...

I mean who in their right mind would want these things to make it.???

The law isn't on Oculus' side here, that's all I'm pointing out.

Citation needed. Because forgive me if I don't put much faith into the legal opinion of some random on the internet. Seriously, do you really not see the bigger picture here?

This is not about private sales, people will still be able to sell their O.R. unit later down the line. That's not what this is about.

This is about trying to mitigate scalpers and ebay gougers and chinese "extreme resellers" trying to make a quick buck on the hype, on a device intended for developers and enthusiasts being sold at a targeted price at zero profit. This company is trying to do the right thing.

The law isn't on Oculus' side here, that's all I'm pointing out.

They're canceling the order from Oculus themselves, not the ebay order.

All they need to have this power is add a condition in the terms you agree to when buying, saying that in order to accept Oculus' offer to sell, you agree not to re-sell the DK. Then that's a condition precedent to be fulfilled by the buyer (i.e., not to re-sell) in order for the seller, Oculus, to perform and ship. As a result, if they reasonably believe that you are going to re-sell then they can refuse to perform. If the buyer misrepresented the fact that they weren't going to sell, buys the DK, and then proceeds to re-sell afterwards, Oculus can void the contract at their option thus cutting off any warranty rights.

Back