Super Talent Updates DDR3 SO-DIMM Modules

HardOCP News

[H] News
Super Talent Technology, a leading manufacturer of NAND Flash storage solutions, updates DDR3 SO-DIMM modules. The updated W160SB4GSL and W160SB8GSL SO-DIMM modules have a lower power draw of 1.35V which allows laptop battery life to be extended. Lower power usage results in less heat generated in a scenario where heat dissipation may not be optimal due to the enclosure of laptops.

These two specific modules use high quality Samsung integrated circuits to deliver quality performance and reliability for all applications needed. They are JEDEC standard 204-pin modules that use 2Gbit components for 4GB density and 4Gbit components for 8GB density sticks, these two Super Talent products are an amazing choice for OEMs to build with.

I am sorry but how is this exactly news? Basically every other memory manufacture has had 1.35v 4GB and 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM modules out for some time now. Unless they plan on undercutting the rest of the market in price (it is for OEMs so that is a possibility) or large production volume to meet large OEM needs, I don't see why this is news. Of course there could be people out there who refuse to buy memory from any manufacture other than Super Talent, but those are likely in tiny numbers and they would have likely been following the manufacture closely anyway and would have already known this. Now if this had been DDR4, that would have been news.

Also how is this product any different form G.Skill's offering that also uses Samsung ICs? (I just picked one manufacture that I know uses Samsung ICs and looks very much like the products offered by Super Talent, except for a slightly different circuit board, which is likely functionally identical to the memory in this press release.)

Back