Copyright Education Needed in Every School

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you think requiring copyright education in every school will actually help combat piracy?

“Authors and creators should go into schools. Let children see what an author is like, let them go out into the community and talk to people, let them understand that we have children, we have mortgages; we do not simply get showered with Hollywood money because we happened to write a little story about wizards one day,” Harris said.

Yes. Let's educate children who have no money, why entrepreneurism leads to begging children for their lunch money because you need it more.

People pirate things they have no intentions of purchasing. There is no lost sale. Once in a great while, the product is so good, the pirate changes their mind and supports the artist/developer/whatever.

It's not an education problem. I fail to see how this will change anything.

And oh ya - let's continue to get rid of sports, band, and extracurricular activities. And hire another teacher to teach copyright infringement instead of calculus. jeeez....

So how has forcing kids into Sunday school and "educating" them against the sins of man worked out? Pretty much stamped out anyone ever sinning again hasn't it?

I literally thought this was to teach those who would otherwise release their media online to be exploited by others.

Turns out it's another fucking cash grab guilt trip for children. Fuck the corporate interest(s) that bore this.

Will the class include how Disney bribed politicians to continually inflate the length a work can be under copyright protection? Or how about providing examples of some of the idiotic things that end up under copyright when the creator has only a vague idea about something, but nevertheless demands it be protected. Or how many copyrights are held by businesses whose only purpose is to acquire them and then sell them to the highest bidder while they themselves contribute nothing?

I expect it will be "Copyright is Good and Thieves are Evil! Don't be a thief!"

Will the class include how Disney bribed politicians to continually inflate the length a work can be under copyright protection? Or how about providing examples of some of the idiotic things that end up under copyright when the creator has only a vague idea about something, but nevertheless demands it be protected. Or how many copyrights are held by businesses whose only purpose is to acquire them and then sell them to the highest bidder while they themselves contribute nothing?

I expect it will be "Copyright is Good and Thieves are Evil! Don't be a thief!"

Speaking of Disney...will it include history of how Disney infringed on the copyright of Igor Stravinsky in their uncompensated use of Stravinsky's music in Fantasia?

Perfectly logical. Show small children that authors make no money and that it is all kept by the large corporations anyway so that they will feel no remorse for piracy. Makes sense to me.

Pretty sure they understand it better than their parents. Here a hint they don't give a shit...

Sounds nice, but instead, maybe we should address the sense of entitlement kids grow up with these days. Focus on engendering some pride in work well done, rewards well earned, and an avoidance of mooching.

People pirate things they have no intentions of purchasing. There is no lost sale. Once in a great while, the product is so good, the pirate changes their mind and supports the artist/developer/whatever.

That's a very broad and probably inaccurate assessment.

Perfectly logical. Show small children that authors make no money and that it is all kept by the large corporations anyway so that they will feel no remorse for piracy. Makes sense to me.

This. The content creators are getting WAY more screwed by the content providers than pirates ever could do to them.

Sure. Make it a college class, though. Elective college class. If someone wants to learn about it in a liberal arts school, they should have that option. High school or under? Nope. Unless they want to go over the other laws of the land, too, including corruption, bribery and corporate scum.

This could be a good idea if done correctly, if only to show how corrupted the idea of copyrights and patents has become from the original purpose.

This could be a good idea if done correctly, if only to show how corrupted the idea of copyrights and patents has become from the original purpose.

Uh. Hoss. They've always been used like they are now. Hate to burst your bubble.

Great idea. Knowing how I was in high school, some idiot talking about needing my money to pay his bills would encourage me to start pirating stuff.

That's a very broad and probably inaccurate assessment.

:confused: People pirate with the intention of buying? At that point, they already have the superior version - no drm, no bs, etc. They aren't going to buy crap, and never had the intent to. The only thing left at that point is "this is so awesome I simply must support the creator"

:confused: People pirate with the intention of buying? At that point, they already have the superior version - no drm, no bs, etc. They aren't going to buy crap, and never had the intent to. The only thing left at that point is "this is so awesome I simply must support the creator"

No, people pirate with the intention of mooching: for getting something for free that they would otherwise have to pay for. Why? not because they ever plan on paying, but because they are lazy. They'd rather get something for free because they have some kind of over-inflated sense of entitlement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't music piracy actually increase sales at one point?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't music piracy actually increase sales at one point?

Correlational link, not causational study. Might have been an uptick in an interestin music generally that caused both.

You mean like piracy is done because the person who pirate never has any intention of buying?

It's pretty hard to study, and say it's one thing, which is what that one person was saying. People have different motivations in their action, being purchasing or pirating, or any others activity.

Uh. Hoss. They've always been used like they are now. Hate to burst your bubble.
Uh, no. :rolleyes:

There's a history of changes to copyright and patent law over the years, to the benefit of very few. Originally copyright for covered works was 14 years and abstract processes couldn't be patented.

Today it's essentially perpetual copyright, and the standards which the USPTO uses allows entire ideas (as opposed to specific implementations) to become patentable, so much that even the statutes are largely ignored in favor of bad interpretations of SCOTUS decisions.

I know it's derpycool to be anti copyright, but that's just unreasonable. People have a reasonable right to benefit from their own work as guaranteed in the Constitution, regardless of how oppressed mooching pirates feel.

That is not accurate at all. While I would agree not all piracy leads to a lost sale plenty of it does.

No, people pirate with the intention of mooching: for getting something for free that they would otherwise have to pay for. Why? not because they ever plan on paying, but because they are lazy. They'd rather get something for free because they have some kind of over-inflated sense of entitlement.

This.

This is more silly than my high school being forced to watch this in first period as part of student programming before the bell rang, back in the early 90s. I'm also not sure that putting an author in front of a group for an empathy plea to a bunch of young rebellious students is the wisest idea. My teenage self probably would march to the local library, check out the book, put slugs in the soda machine and keep hitting eject and make 5 cent per page copies of it to pass around the next day in school. And with the technology available today? Sweet jeebus.

So, we no longer teach Firearm safety in school (I got it), but we'll teach Copyright Law.

How fucked up we've become.

Or you know, they intend on buying something but the god damn cooperate juggernauts that control the content make it so damn hard to easily or affordable get the material, they say F it and just pirate it. Big difference there.

School employees\tech staff are in more need of copyright infringement training than the students. Piracy is horrid in public education.

That is not accurate at all. While I would agree not all piracy leads to a lost sale plenty of it does.

You're right. Like how you can only watch Game of thrones if you have HBO, and you can only get HBO if you have a cable subscription. Plenty of people are wiling to pay for access just for that show, but aren't willing to pay $100+ a month for a bunch of extra stupid channels completely stuffed with advertisements... So in that case, yes they technically losing money to people pirating the episodes. But it's only because those asshole content providers refuse to let go of their shitty outdated business models.

But people claiming they lost a sale because people pirated the same rehashed shit movies the studios like to pump out, to watch while they are bored is BS. I can't count how many crappy movies I have seen in the last year or 2 that were such crap I would have been pissed if I gave them any money for it. Even renting it for 1$ from redbox wouldn't be worth it in most cases.

You're right. Like how you can only watch Game of thrones if you have HBO, and you can only get HBO if you have a cable subscription. Plenty of people are wiling to pay for access just for that show, but aren't willing to pay $100+ a month for a bunch of extra stupid channels completely stuffed with advertisements... So in that case, yes they technically losing money to people pirating the episodes. But it's only because those asshole content providers refuse to let go of their shitty outdated business models.

But people claiming they lost a sale because people pirated the same rehashed shit movies the studios like to pump out, to watch while they are bored is BS. I can't count how many crappy movies I have seen in the last year or 2 that were such crap I would have been pissed if I gave them any money for it. Even renting it for 1$ from redbox wouldn't be worth it in most cases.
But what makes you think that YOU, as opposed to the owner of the content, are allowed to decide who gets access to it?

This is the mentality of those who have never created anything worthwhile and desired. People who have recognize that when someone TAKES what you made or paid for, with no compensation, it sucks. Period, end of story, it sucks. Until you've known that personally, this BS sense of entitlement is all they see. It's sad really.

Why not pay up for it? Why not respect the content creators and reward them for their efforts as opposed to punishing them?

Perhaps at one point, but the music industry is a shadow of what it used to be.

Whether it's due to piracy, less interesting music, streaming services or a combination, who knows.

So, we no longer teach Firearm safety in school (I got it), but we'll teach Copyright Law.

How fucked up we've become.
What wha... Did you learn this in a public school? Not to knock it, i see no problem with teaching proper gun safety in a school just never heard of this being done outside of boarding schools. Anyways I find that not requiring what now is home ec. in schools to be more appalling, they teach financial understanding/planning and management along with the more traditional sewing and cooking now of days. People just don't understand how to take care of themselves when they leave the home and it takes them too long to get it right.

I've pirated things that I've had every intention of buying, but the content providers make it such a damn pain in the ass to obtain legally that its easier to just pirate it. Perhaps that makes me lazy, or perhaps its the content providers who are lazy or otherwise out of touch. Either way, piracy isn't going to stop until content providers figure out a way to offer their products in a way that makes it easier than pirating, not the other way around.

I've pirated things that I've had every intention of buying, but the content providers make it such a damn pain in the ass to obtain legally that its easier to just pirate it. Perhaps that makes me lazy, or perhaps its the content providers who are lazy or otherwise out of touch. Either way, piracy isn't going to stop until content providers figure out a way to offer their products in a way that makes it easier than pirating, not the other way around.

I call BS:
You don't mean easy, you mean cheap. If you want Game of Thrones, you have to pay ~$70/mo in cable bills. Once you've done that, it's incredibly easy. Shoot, even getting cable is easy.

It isn't cheap.

What you mean is you want the product cheaper. Well, i want a Tesla but don't want to pay north of $60k for one. That doesn't mean I should go out and take one. I want photoshop for less than its insane price. that doesn't mean I should go out and take it. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean you are entitled to it anyway.

No. We are victims of corporatism enough in our every day lives. The last thing we need is for it to pollute our already inadequate education system. I wouldn't have a problem if copyright law was a part of a class teaching the legal system, but it has to be in an objective way. As soon as you allow those who are affected by the law to be a part of the conversation, all objectivity is lost.

I call BS:
You don't mean easy, you mean cheap. If you want Game of Thrones, you have to pay ~$70/mo in cable bills. Once you've done that, it's incredibly easy. Shoot, even getting cable is easy.

It isn't cheap.

What you mean is you want the product cheaper. Well, i want a Tesla but don't want to pay north of $60k for one. That doesn't mean I should go out and take one. I want photoshop for less than its insane price. that doesn't mean I should go out and take it. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean you are entitled to it anyway.

No, I mean easy. I mean I went to a little under 10 stores in a single day attempting to purchase a specific bluray but was unable to find it anywhere. A 5 minute google search found me a quality rip of said bluray and I was able to download it within about the same amount of time I spend driving around.

So, no, I do not mean I want anything cheaper. I want it easier, which is what most people want. People are used to being able to just google something they want, if they cant just google it, click on a link, and quickly obtain it legally, they sure as hell will illegally.

Back