New Map Algorithm Finds The Most Beautiful Route

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess this could come in handy if you are just out cruising or driving somewhere with your significant other. Aside from that, I think most dudes just want the shortest route. :D

The idea here is that the user enters a start and end location and an algorithm then finds the most beautiful route, rather than the shortest one. It does this by searching through every possible route, adding the beauty scores for each and choosing the one that ranks highest.

Lemme guess, it integrates with housing costs and just moves your route around ghettos lol.

This is total discrimination! I want it to route the ugliest route!

It does this by searching through every possible route, adding the beauty scores for each and choosing the one that ranks highest.

It must be making some sort of compromise between beauty and trip length or every route would end up running through the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, etc. And beauty is subjective anyhow, so what it decides is "beautiful" might not be what you think is beautiful. What it should do instead is determine a route that takes you by things that you might like based on your Facebook likes, browsing history, or some such thing and then allow you to specify what percentage it's allowed to deviate from the shortest route so that it only takes you by the nearby [strike=option]strip clubs[/s] places you like and not the ones far away.

I like the idea of the 'quiet' route, especially for London where there are lots of smaller roads.

I think the 'beautiful' route would be more useful in the countryside/long road trips though (mainly to help keep you off ugly highways.

What qualifies as "beautiful"? For me a "beautiful route" would be one with little traffic, lots of twisties. Although where I live, I don't think that actually exists.

The shortest route between any two points is almost always the most boring. I take the long way to work every day so I can drive through the desert instead of stop lights and traffic. I think this is an awesome feature. Most of my vacations are more about the trip than the destination. Say you have to go see gramma. Why not see some fun stuff on the way?

Back