Microsoft Pulling Surface Pro 2 from Stores

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is making shelf room for the new Surface Pro 3 in the Microsoft Store by pulling its stock of Surface Pro 2’s. The stock is being returned back to Microsoft. What other retailers are doing along the same lines is unclear at this time.

Those who would like to still get their hands on the Surface Pro 2 will be happy to know that it can still be ordered from the Microsoft Store website.

Why would they return it to MS?
I thought they'd just sell it at a reduced price like most companies do with their less than "new" products (well, everyone except Nvidia).

It's good that they're focusing on the new hot seller SP3 but they really need to release an i3/8GB/128GB configuration for $850-900.

Kinda strikes me as a strange move. The pro 3 doesn't really seem like a replacement for the pro 2, more an alternative for those wanting a larger screen.

Smart move, keeps the price on the Surface Pro 2 high

Since you can't find it anywhere in stores, you're forced to buy it through microsoft, and while it will be cheaper, it won't be astronomically cheaper vs. it being on store shelves

Why would they return it to MS?
I thought they'd just sell it at a reduced price like most companies do with their less than "new" products (well, everyone except Nvidia).

They are selling it online, that's why its getting returned.

Surface 2 for $450 online,

Stores need to be simplified, older product series phased out as to not compete with newer products or confuse consumers. Its much harder to confuse consumers online where you can list every difference on the web listing, much harder to do that in person.

I know BB had the surface pro 2 on the cheap a week ago, not sure if they have any left. When I went they only had the shelf model that didn't turn on.

Kinda strikes me as a strange move. The pro 3 doesn't really seem like a replacement for the pro 2, more an alternative for those wanting a larger screen.

sort of. I like how small my surface pro 2 is. I wouldn't want to take that 3:2 beast to college as i do with my 2. the 2 has enough space for OneNote. it also has the same internals of 3, just with more/better cooling so it doesn't downclock as often.

there are some nice improvements in 3, but it does seem like they're side-grades of each other. no clear 100% winner.

sort of. I like how small my surface pro 2 is. I wouldn't want to take that 3:2 beast to college as i do with my 2. the 2 has enough space for OneNote. it also has the same internals of 3, just with more/better cooling so it doesn't downclock as often.

there are some nice improvements in 3, but it does seem like they're side-grades of each other. no clear 100% winner.

The SP3 is similar in form factor to a piece of paper (8.5"x11" = 13.9" diagonal for the record). Do they not use sheets of paper in school anymore?

The SP3 is similar in form factor to a piece of paper (8.5"x11" = 13.9" diagonal for the record). Do they not use sheets of paper in school anymore?
Does my post say anything about not using paper anymore?

They are selling it online, that's why its getting returned.

Surface 2 for $450 online,

Stores need to be simplified, older product series phased out as to not compete with newer products or confuse consumers. Its much harder to confuse consumers online where you can list every difference on the web listing, much harder to do that in person.

I know BB had the surface pro 2 on the cheap a week ago, not sure if they have any left. When I went they only had the shelf model that didn't turn on.

Surface 2 is not Surface Pro 2 lol. Surface pro 2 for 450 would be insane.

Does my post say anything about not using paper anymore?

No. I obviously expect you do still use paper, which (combined with the fact you evidently don't have an issue with the weight of an SP2) is what makes your characterization of the thinner, lighter, 12" Surface Pro 3 as a "beast" seem so silly.

Be honest MS, was it really "pulled" or did all the merchants get tired of the product not moving and just sent them all back?

It's good that they're focusing on the new hot seller SP3 but they really need to release an i3/8GB/128GB configuration for $850-900.

I wish more people understood balance like this, at least with respect to desktops. We have so many i5 machines at work that are hamstrung with 250GB mechanical HDDs and a single 4GB stick of RAM...

On the tablet side, I was under the impression that the i5s that they are using are basically just faster i3s. They are dual-cores with HT and a slightly higher clock speed that are binned for efficiency instead of blazing performance.

With respect to the Surface Pro 2 disappearing from Microsoft's stores, the move makes sense from a marketing standpoint. There are less variations to have to account for, less for your sales staff to have to know/remember, and increased floor space for your hot new product.

Apple stores do this as well, or at least the one by me does. A new piece of equipment supplants the older one and all of the stock vanishes. It then reappears as outlet type deals on the website or through volume resellers like MacMall as best as I can tell.

I wish more people understood balance like this, at least with respect to desktops. We have so many i5 machines at work that are hamstrung with 250GB mechanical HDDs and a single 4GB stick of RAM...

On the tablet side, I was under the impression that the i5s that they are using are basically just faster i3s. They are dual-cores with HT and a slightly higher clock speed that are binned for efficiency instead of blazing performance.

With respect to the Surface Pro 2 disappearing from Microsoft's stores, the move makes sense from a marketing standpoint. There are less variations to have to account for, less for your sales staff to have to know/remember, and increased floor space for your hot new product.

Apple stores do this as well, or at least the one by me does. A new piece of equipment supplants the older one and all of the stock vanishes. It then reappears as outlet type deals on the website or through volume resellers like MacMall as best as I can tell.

The i3's are also missing the single core turbo boost feature. Not that a Surface Pro 3 can sustain turbo speeds for any length of time thanks to thermal limitations.

Smart move, keeps the price on the Surface Pro 2 high

Since you can't find it anywhere in stores, you're forced to buy it through microsoft, and while it will be cheaper, it won't be astronomically cheaper vs. it being on store shelves

Or liquidate it rapidly in one go so that there isn't competition internally.

The i3's are also missing the single core turbo boost feature. Not that a Surface Pro 3 can sustain turbo speeds for any length of time thanks to thermal limitations.

Majority of the time your work load is not running turbo boost and is actually running below base clock so i3 should be fine for most people plus the benefit of lower 11.5W TDP vs 15W TDP.

SP3 can run sustained CPU turbo speed. It's the iGPU maxed out that causes throttling but that happens with any current ultrabook. Target TDP for fanless is 5W so hopefully at 11.5W iGPU throttling will be less of an issue with fan.

Back