Java Support Over for Windows XP

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Another nail in the coffin lid for Windows XP. The next update for Java in July will no longer have any fixes for XP. There will be no formal announcement, just Oracle quietly dropping support for XP.

As you know, Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP and recommend their users to upgrade to more recent versions in order to maintain a stable and secure environment.

Lol ^^^

Kind of surprising actually...
Considering many estimates still say they just ditched 30% of their user base.

Its not like they have anything to gain by users upgrading like MS.

All XP needs now to be more secure is no more active x and flash....
Then it'll be more secure that Win7 or 8!

I really doubt XP users are using the latest version of Java in the first place.

7 and 8 are incredibly secure especially when compared to XP. However, I cannot remember the last time I used Java intentionally.

This will definitely be a crutch for many businesses out there. There are many Java-based apps that require the latest version of Java or they refuse to execute and function, especially with online banking sites and other.

This will definitely be a crutch for many businesses out there. There are many Java-based apps that require the latest version of Java or they refuse to execute and function, especially with online banking sites and other.

So time to upgrade your 13 year old OS at home, instead of hold onto old insecure OS's that could be compromised with your bank info.

The way Java is advancing won't work on XP, they are finally dropping their legacy support. Businesses that are still staying on XP aren't losing anything, they still have their original software base and if they employ programmers should be fine, although they really should get off of XP.

A couple of places I've worked, the apps were Java dependent, so updating Java made the application no longer work.

No loss. I purposely avoid installing that Java malware on my systems.

Most people using XP for banking and emails will have trouble now. Yahoo emails wont work right without the latest java sometimes. Some banking websites. A lot of different everyday websites use it. This might be the turning point for xp. Once flash drops supports its officially over mostly. People would have trouble even using the internet at all.

I stopped installing it as standard on all customers PCs and laptops about 18 months ago. Those that had it, had it uninstalled.

Not a single complaint or question.

If a business has had a PC for 13 years then that asset has been sweated to death.

Amazing how many companies won't bat an eyelid at spending $750,000 on new commercial fleet but refuse to spend $750 on a new PC and software to manage it all effectively.

Kind of surprising actually...
Considering many estimates still say they just ditched 30% of their user base.

Its not like they have anything to gain by users upgrading like MS.
Maybe they had something to gain from Microsoft directly. Really how much do you make from installing unwanted toolbars? I bet a MS bribe wouldn't be unwelcome.

Good news XP users!
Your OS just got more secure!

In the hospital system that I work in we have quite a few clinical applications that need java. And its not like all systems are running windows 7 yet. There are still quite a few vendor supplied XP machines.

If a business has had a PC for 13 years then that asset has been sweated to death.

Amazing how many companies won't bat an eyelid at spending $750,000 on new commercial fleet but refuse to spend $750 on a new PC and software to manage it all effectively.

For us (hospital system) some workstations cost 100s of thousands of dollars per machine. Also the software is tied to the workstation. Upgrading if there is a new version would be a very large expense.

For us (hospital system) some workstations cost 100s of thousands of dollars per machine. Also the software is tied to the workstation. Upgrading if there is a new version would be a very large expense.

Oh indeed YMMV but I reckon in a good 66% of cases its just tightwadage.

Unfortunately both Java and OpenJDK* 8 still work under XP.

* The installer stopped working with XP earlier this year, but it's possible to manually extract the files and then unpack the pack files... essentially what the installer does.

Back