Gesture Controls Are Coming To New Cars Next Year

The car should slow down on it's own, should it detect you flipping the bird.

I foresee a lot of strange issues with this system and Italian/Italian American drivers.

About what I think of touch control in cars, or any aspect of modern automotive center console design: they suck.

You have no idea how excited I am for Apple and Google to take over the automotive electronics experience. Car manufacturers have proved that they don't have clue-one as to what they're doing...

Because people are such amazing drivers with all existing distractions, I am super thrilled at a totally new set of distractions that will work flawlessly...:rolleyes:

"I wasn't giving you the finger, officer. I was just turning up my AC."

Hmmmm ... what is the gesture for hit the brakes, I'm about to crash :D

Yeah, screwing around with touchscreen menu functions 3-4 levels deep, throw in gesture and voice control, all of which barely work, isn't going to be distracting at all.

and Apple sues automakers saying that their swipe patent covers anything where doing something gets something accomplished.

Yeah, screwing around with touchscreen menu functions 3-4 levels deep, throw in gesture and voice control, all of which barely work, isn't going to be distracting at all.

As long as the gestures don't require you to hover over the screen and more like reading sign language, they will likely be an improvement

So when I give this sort of gesture
FINGERCOSTUME_TN.gif
the car will know to just roll up and over someone right?

Or, better yet, pop a minigun from the trunk and turn the offender into hash?

Modern technology: solving problems that did not exist.

I have a gesture for anyone who thinks this is a good idea.

Hmmm ... will it recognize gestures from other drivers. If they are flipping me off, will the car veer into them? (Look! No hands! LOL)

About what I think of touch control in cars, or any aspect of modern automotive center console design: they suck.

You have no idea how excited I am for Apple and Google to take over the automotive electronics experience. Car manufacturers have proved that they don't have clue-one as to what they're doing...
Given Apple's aversion to hardware buttons, I for one am NOT interested in their take on automotive controls. I don't care how intuitive they make a touchscreen interface, I'll take hardware controls ANY day.

Pressing a hardware button is discrete and unambiguous, and doesn't require me to take my eyes off the road. Gestures are indefinite and ambiguous, and touchscreens require eye contact.

Now get off my lawn.

I think GM and Chrysler could stand to take a few cues from Microsoft, they did a great job of making it hard to shut down Windows 8 when it was released. Could have saved them 30 million recalls.

I really don't think I would enjoy an Apple designed car interface, imho they have the least appealing user experience in the phone market.

This scares me as much as the time I watched 3 deaf people having a conversation while driving :eek:

Back