Microsoft's Smartwatch Coming This October

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Seeing how Microsoft is usually the last date to the dance, having an October unveiling would put Microsoft way ahead of its normal catch up from behind strategy. Microsoft’s entry into the already crowded future smartwatch market is rumored to have some features not found in other brands.

It may be different from most of the smartwatches we have seen up till now. Rumor has it that the display would be on the underside of the band, and it may not even be that large, the device is said to be more along the lines of a fitness-band.

Smartwatches are the new netbooks and tablets. Nobody's going to care about them in a year or two.

Errr, netbooks are as popular today as ever, and technically the inexpensive tablets that came out later are just a new form of netbook, as they meet the desire of small footprint and low price for quick on-the-go light computing. And how much of the population these days doesn't have a tablet?

Personally though, I just don't see how a smartwatch can be as practical as a smartphone or tablet, and just represents one more thing you have to carry around and worry about charging. The only exception would be if it could replace a smartphone which would be practical, but I can't see myself talking into my wrist or being on speakerphone or walking around with a bluetooth earpiece all the time.

Ah that's defintly way ahead of the usual MS strategy. Normally they wait or completely ignore until a sucessfull product is out and a clear market exists, THEN they start developing and release within the following 2 years.

Smartwatches are defintely not going away, but it's really hard to predict where they're headed and where they could eventually settle in the wearable PC market.

Surface Watch. Runs full Windows 8.1. Come at me, bro.

Sorry, but Microsoft is not behind in this particular race. They've been in it (and abandoned it) since 2006: http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/23/switched-on-the-gist-on-your-wrist/
Oh, and they weren't behind on tablets either.

Let me get this straight.. Microsoft is not behind in this race, even though they abandoned the race.

LtMzhcp.jpg

Ah that's defintly way ahead of the usual MS strategy. Normally they wait or completely ignore until a sucessfull product is out and a clear market exists, THEN they start developing and release within the following 2 years.

Smartwatches are defintely not going away, but it's really hard to predict where they're headed and where they could eventually settle in the wearable PC market.

That's not true at all, MS is often way ahead, so is apple, see you guys don't seem to realize that innovation is just a bull shit term that describes the success a company has when they get the market timing just right. Many times these companies go in try to push something and fail and back out, then another company tries it, then another and finally someone scores a huge hit. Learn about the history of a device form or any technology before you make a statement. MS foresaw the smart phone crazy way before it happened, same with tablets, the problem is MS was too early and by the time the craze took off they were considered old hat and no one thought they were cool.

The failure here is in the ability of MS to pick the right time to hit something. They score with some products like windows, office, expedia, internet explorer, and others MS was right on the dot and hit it at the right time. With others like tablets, smart watches and so on MS was too early, and still others they were too late. The one feature of MS that makes them interesting is that MS unlike many companies is not out of the game if they come late, MS is one of the few companies that will actually break into a market that has already passed its easy money explosive growth time and will fight established huge players and win. Consoles would be such an example.

That's not true at all, MS is often way ahead, so is apple, see you guys don't seem to realize that innovation is just a bull shit term that describes the success a company has when they get the market timing just right. Many times these companies go in try to push something and fail and back out, then another company tries it, then another and finally someone scores a huge hit. Learn about the history of a device form or any technology before you make a statement. MS foresaw the smart phone crazy way before it happened, same with tablets, the problem is MS was too early and by the time the craze took off they were considered old hat and no one thought they were cool.

The failure here is in the ability of MS to pick the right time to hit something. They score with some products like windows, office, expedia, internet explorer, and others MS was right on the dot and hit it at the right time. With others like tablets, smart watches and so on MS was too early, and still others they were too late. The one feature of MS that makes them interesting is that MS unlike many companies is not out of the game if they come late, MS is one of the few companies that will actually break into a market that has already passed its easy money explosive growth time and will fight established huge players and win. Consoles would be such an example.

Hold up, hold up! What is this, someone on a [H] forum with an IQ above ignorant loudmouth? I'm marking this day on my calendar!

Why, microsoft, why?

EVERYTHING you try besides Windows and Xbox is a failure...and Xbox is barely a success.

Silverlight = Failure
Zune = Failure
Tablet like the ipad = Failure (may have been before its time, but it had many issues)
Windows phone = basically a failure

Stop it Microsoft, just stop it.

Why, microsoft, why?

EVERYTHING you try besides Windows and Xbox is a failure...and Xbox is barely a success.

Silverlight = Failure
Zune = Failure
Tablet like the ipad = Failure (may have been before its time, but it had many issues)
Windows phone = basically a failure

Stop it Microsoft, just stop it.

I don't think Silverlight or their Surface Pro tabs tabs are a failure (would agree about the Surface RT tabs though). Netlfix and Amazon video use Silverlight, don't know of any video streaming services larger than that. Zunes definitely failed, but it seemed premature because I still constantly see people on here praising their Zunes. WP is still up in the air. After buying out Nokia and seeming pretty committed to the platform, I doubt they're going to pull out anytime soon even if their market penetration is below 5% of smartphone users.

I don't think Silverlight or their Surface Pro tabs tabs are a failure (would agree about the Surface RT tabs though). Netlfix and Amazon video use Silverlight, don't know of any video streaming services larger than that. Zunes definitely failed, but it seemed premature because I still constantly see people on here praising their Zunes. WP is still up in the air. After buying out Nokia and seeming pretty committed to the platform, I doubt they're going to pull out anytime soon even if their market penetration is below 5% of smartphone users.

The ONLY reason Silverlight is alive is because of Netflix. If Netflix dropped them they'd be as good as dead. I don't know how many subscribers Amazon video has, but not enough to warrant Silverlight being a good "program" if they were the only ones to use it.

I LOVE my Zune and hate that MS pulled the plug on them.

Last I checked WP had almost no apps on the app store...if people aren't making apps for the OS then they're as good as dead.

Stupid no edit button:

MS is famous for pulling support for something out of the blue, so I wouldn't get locked into a WP...that is dangerous.

Stupid no edit button:

MS is famous for pulling support for something out of the blue, so I wouldn't get locked into a WP...that is dangerous.

I took that chance when I bought my Lumia 920. If they drop WP, I'll just have to go back to Android next upgrade. I hope they don't though. The smartphone space could use more competition. I don't like seeing 2 platforms completely owning the market like this. Makes for slow advancement.

I agree, because I'd like an alternative to Apple (Had 3 Android phones, will never use Android again).

Smartwatches are the new netbooks and tablets. Nobody's going to care about them in a year or two.

I will if they do what I need them to do and don't look like techno-ass.

Back