Adblock Plus: We Can Stop Facebook from Tracking You

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In light of Facebook’s recent announcement to track its member’s data for targeted ads, AdBlock Plus has stepped up its campaign to inform users that there is a solution to the data targeting.

The feature has been available since last summer, but the company is touting it now in light of the concerns over Facebook’s latest announcement.

It boggles my mind that your web browser doesn't have these blocking features built in as an option. I mean I can understand facebook cookies read/write from facebook, but why would they allow another site to read cookies that are not theirs? Why they would allow cookies to read any other data from your webbrowser or stay persistent so they can actually track other sites, just annoys me. And makes me happy I don't use facebook.

This must be a trap! I think we can't discuss this plugin in hard forum, right? :)

I wouldn't. The bans are coming. Even though everyone and their grandma knows about it by now.

637x358.resizedimage

This must be a trap! I think we can't discuss this plugin in hard forum, right? :)

Talking about it isn't a problem, talking about using it HERE is a problem. Though I wouldn't be surprised if talking about it sparks a "totally random" check of your account to see if you use it /tinfoil hat. :D

That all said, If I used stupidbook, I would certainly be keeping ABP running on it and this gives me even more incentive. Because of my business I am forced to use Twitter, which I hate but I at least make it somewhat tolerable by having that page as locked down as I possibly can to avoid their tracking bullshit.

It boggles my mind that your web browser doesn't have these blocking features built in as an option. I mean I can understand facebook cookies read/write from facebook, but why would they allow another site to read cookies that are not theirs? Why they would allow cookies to read any other data from your webbrowser or stay persistent so they can actually track other sites, just annoys me. And makes me happy I don't use facebook.

Two of the big 4 have a huge business in advertising (Google/Microsoft). Microsoft has never supported ad blocking and was even late to the pop up blocking game. Don't expect miracles from anyone other than Opera/FireFox.

not that big a deal, I just have Adblock disabled for Hardforum, ads are not intrusive here anyway. if Ads were required to follow a set of rules as to how annoying they could be, perhaps things like adblock would not be needed so badly

Yea, as long as you don't say "You've blocked this site", you're more or less golden.

TBH, don't know why you would. It's not intrusive, and there aren't any loud video commercials. It's one of the few sites I haven't found the ads to be blinding.

At this point I run Ad Block Plus, Ghostery, and Disconnect. Three addons to make my browsing experience slightly closer to "pure". Its amazing how many redirects go out...

At this point I run Ad Block Plus, Ghostery, and Disconnect. Three addons to make my browsing experience slightly closer to "pure". Its amazing how many redirects go out...

Don't forget to have AdBlocking enabled in your router as well... not all devices have adblock.

Back