KlearGear Must Pay $306K To Couple That Left Negative Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
This couldn't have happened to a more deserving company. Now the couple just needs to hunt these guys down and collect their money.

A years-long legal odyssey involving a Utah couple that left a bad review against an online retailer, KlearGear, for an undelivered less-than-$20 order, has finally resulted in monetary damages. On Wednesday, the judge awarded $306,750 in compensatory and punitive damages plus attorneys fees to Jennifer and John Palmer, who wrote their review in 2009.

if this company has any sort of legal entity in the US (office/warehouse/whatever)

even if they don't want to pay, a lein should be filed against their assets until they do. If they really want to be bitches about it, just liquidate their stuff and give the money to the honest and cool couple.

If for whatever reason that didn't work out -- I'd be happy to volunteer my services into putting 300K worth of hurt on the owner and lawyer who started this mess.

Totally random and unrelated, but I often have fun day dreams about being some sort of bruce wayne like figure... not dressed like a bat, but just someone who makes bad people pay for what they have done since the legal system often fails good people. I wouldn't even need billions of dollars, just a few cool gadgets, and lots of travel money to trot over the globe busting knee caps of the people who start shit.

They should also shut down the collection agency that was dumb enough to try and collect on this "debt".

Collecting the judgement from these scumbags.

They should also shut down the collection agency that was dumb enough to try and collect on this "debt".

Yeah, that's the real bullshitter here in this story. An idiotic company can claim whatever it wants, but a collection agency should know better.

Normally I'd say this is a frivolous lawsuit, but having read about KG way back when [H] posted a link to it, I think this is $ well deserved by the couple that was frivolously sued by KG. I hope KG goes out of business, after paying this couple. But knowing how shady KG is, they'd probably declare bankruptcy first so the couple doesn't get paid.

if this company has any sort of legal entity in the US (office/warehouse/whatever)

even if they don't want to pay, a lein should be filed against their assets until they do. If they really want to be bitches about it, just liquidate their stuff and give the money to the honest and cool couple.

If for whatever reason that didn't work out -- I'd be happy to volunteer my services into putting 300K worth of hurt on the owner and lawyer who started this mess.

Totally random and unrelated, but I often have fun day dreams about being some sort of bruce wayne like figure... not dressed like a bat, but just someone who makes bad people pay for what they have done since the legal system often fails good people. I wouldn't even need billions of dollars, just a few cool gadgets, and lots of travel money to trot over the globe busting knee caps of the people who start shit.

They should make a movie about this.

John Doe Vigilante. It's an Aussie flick with that premise. Except he uses an asp night stick.

The TV series Leverage has a premise like this as well. I was really sad when they wrapped it up.

Dexter is pretty close, he goes to paris at one point, and goes to international waters a lot :p

Yeah, that's the real bullshitter here in this story. An idiotic company can claim whatever it wants, but a collection agency should know better.

wut?

I don't think I have EVER heard of a collection agency that made any sort of decision based on something other than "can we possibly get money?".

These agencies will tell anyone anything to get them to send money. I still get calls/letters from "zombie" collections trying to collect on 15 year old debt in which they have NO legal right to collect other then the 1st amendment right to ask for money. They reason why they try? They still make a profit from people that don't know better.

Collection agencies probably have a similar scam % (or greater) than those fly by night construction, contractor, home/labor industries.

I was once hounded by a Amazon seller for bad feedback for a $4 cell phone cover.
They hounded me so much I finally removed the feedback. BUT, what I should have done was just block their phone number and ignored them. Their badgering tactics worked because they called me right in the middle work, and I would answer thinking it was my wife or someone I needed to talk to.

wut?

I don't think I have EVER heard of a collection agency that made any sort of decision based on something other than "can we possibly get money?".

These agencies will tell anyone anything to get them to send money. I still get calls/letters from "zombie" collections trying to collect on 15 year old debt in which they have NO legal right to collect other then the 1st amendment right to ask for money. They reason why they try? They still make a profit from people that don't know better.

Collection agencies probably have a similar scam % (or greater) than those fly by night construction, contractor, home/labor industries.

I'm sure, but the CFPB is coming around and cracking down pretty hard on them. Hopefully it gets better. But I agree they're shitty; I got an early termination free from AT&T after calling in and double-checking I was out of my contract period first. Refused to pay, and somehow it keeps getting resold and showing up as much newer than the 7 year old debt it is. Assholes. :mad:

I was once hounded by a Amazon seller for bad feedback for a $4 cell phone cover.
They hounded me so much I finally removed the feedback. BUT, what I should have done was just block their phone number and ignored them. Their badgering tactics worked because they called me right in the middle work, and I would answer thinking it was my wife or someone I needed to talk to.

Caller ID is your friend. :)

There's some Phoenix Jones guy out in Seattle who acts like a superhero but... the overall effect is debatable.

the fantasy of vigilante justice is a fun fantasy but ultimately a bad kind of sociopathy. One guy dishing out justice no matter how well intended is pretty shitty and prone to problems

Hmm, I wonder if user Avalanche has been in here yet to see this...

There's some Phoenix Jones guy out in Seattle who acts like a superhero but... the overall effect is debatable.

the fantasy of vigilante justice is a fun fantasy but ultimately a bad kind of sociopathy. One guy dishing out justice no matter how well intended is pretty shitty and prone to problems

"If you're not doing anything illegal then you've got nothing to worry about."
This message brought to you by the people that think ots OK for the NSA to snoop through your calls, texts and emails.

"If you're not doing anything illegal then you've got nothing to worry about."
This message brought to you by the people that think ots OK for the NSA to snoop through your calls, texts and emails.

I don't see how that has any relevance at all to what I posted

Are you the ancient aliens guy? Do you just steer conversations to your ranty topic du jour? If so, cool hairstyle.

Back