PowerColor Devil 13 Dual Core R9 290X 8GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the PowerColor Devil 13 R9 290X posted today at Overclockers Club that is definitely worth checking out.

Last but not least, is that PowerColor keeps delivering high end cards that others dare not build because those companies wont step outside the box. By looking at the gaming universe, PowerColor has put together an innovative package that looks and performs good. Hell, it ain't a bad place to be.

Wow, first time I seen a card with four eight pin blocks.:eek:

;)

nuclear-power-plant1.jpg

Yeesh! 900 watts at the wall aint nothing to sneeze at there. Cant imagine nearly pegging out a 1000 watt power supply for 4 and 6 hour long gaming sessions. But if youre in the market for $1500 video cards then shaving a few bucks off your electric bill probably isnt something youre really bothered by.

That said, I don't really see the point in this card over a reference 295x2. If Powercolour had doubled the ram to 16gb, I could understand its place, but really, a stock 295x2 is going to be quieter and cooler.

i personally don't like the reference solution for the 295x2. if i didn't already have two 290x's i'd probably buy this card.

Wow why the fuck would you get this card for $100 less, when you can get a normal 295x2 for $100 more with watercooling.

I mean this is almost as bad as buying a Titan Z (only a $1600 difference lol). Why get an air cooled heat monster like this to dump the heat in the case...../facepalm

Card looks good, but thats about it.

i can't speak for anyone else, and my own reasons are less than practical i suppose. i have three test machines: am3+, lga 1366, and lga 1155. all are liquid cooled. neither system has an available 120mm fan port for the reference 295x2 radiator. i could probably use a 140mm to 120mm fan adapter to mount in an available fan port, but i don't want to; it looks ugly. in my situation, the devil13 295x2 isn't going to create any more heat than 2 reference 290x's already do, plus i can transition the card from one machine to the next with very little hassle.

i can't speak for anyone else, and my own reasons are less than practical i suppose. i have three test machines: am3+, lga 1366, and lga 1155. all are liquid cooled. neither system has an available 120mm fan port for the reference 295x2 radiator. i could probably use a 140mm to 120mm fan adapter to mount in an available fan port, but i don't want to; it looks ugly. in my situation, the devil13 295x2 isn't going to create any more heat than 2 reference 290x's already do, plus i can transition the card from one machine to the next with very little hassle.

You could just buy a waterblock for the 295x and add it to your loop, assuming you're not using closed loop coolers.

sure, but it means i'd have reroute the loops for all three systems to accommodate the 295x2 whenever i wanted to use it in that specific machine. and what would i do if i wanted to test out my gtx 780 tis? i'd have to create three kinds of loop adapters so that each system would be able to run when i decide to test a non liquid cooled card. not only is the process of switching out a card more convoluted than with the reference 295x2, but the systems look even more messy. i'm not here to suggest that the powercolor card should be the go-to solution for those interested in the 295x2, but to remind people that it is a very niche product intended to solve a very niche need.

sure, but it means i'd have reroute the loops for all three systems to accommodate the 295x2 whenever i wanted to use it in that specific machine. and what would i do if i wanted to test out my gtx 780 tis? i'd have to create three kinds of loop adapters so that each system would be able to run when i decide to test a non liquid cooled card. not only is the process of switching out a card more convoluted than with the reference 295x2, but the systems look even more messy. i'm not here to suggest that the powercolor card should be the go-to solution for those interested in the 295x2, but to remind people that it is a very niche product intended to solve a very niche need.

You are talking about a .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% minority situation here man.

This thing just seems like a waste of Engineering R&D..Get rid of the crappy included mouse, and use a better AIO CLC setup or something..I mean 3 slots, WAY more power, same/lower clocks, More Noise etc etc...It's just a fail...

Last edited:
You are talking about a .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% minority situation here man.

This thing just seems like a waste of Engineering R&D..Get rid of the crappy included mouse, and use a better AIO CLC setup or something..I mean 3 slots, WAY more power, same/lower clocks, More Noise etc etc...It's just a fail...

yeah, it would work for me but i don't know about anybody else.

One could argue that AMD's entire solution this round in the graphics war has been "...a waste of Engineering R&D." They were unable to source their new parts on the new manufacturing process, so they went with the old-fashioned, brute-force method. It is crude, but effective, and will still earn them some sales in the meantime while they work out the issues with their new manufacturing process (fab producing usable silicon included).

PowerColor just jumped on that bandwagon. It may be for a tiny segment of the market, but then haven't all dual-gpu solutions, really? I can count on one finger the number of dual-gpu cards I have owned, but at least the number is not zero. Kudos to PowerColor for going balls-to-the-wall with this card. No need to shit on the thread...

Back