WD's My Book Duo Offers Superior Performance

HardOCP News

[H] News
WD®, a Western Digital company, and world leader in storage solutions for the connected life, today introduced My Book® Duo™, the newest member of its award-winning line of desktop storage solutions for home and office. Utilizing two drives, hardware-level RAID and USB 3.0, My Book Duo delivers massive capacity and file transfer speeds not available on single-drive solutions. Available in 4 TB1, 6 TB and 8 TB capacities, My Book Duo also comes with software that creates secure local, cloud and system-level backups for complete data protection.

I'm glad they give you multiple configuration options. Some users may want the RAID0 performance to use as a portable scratch drive with their USB3.0 enabled laptops and such, while others will want the redundancy of a mirror. Choices are always better than being locked into one solution.

Its backup, whats the likelihood that you computer and backup hard drive will fail simultaneously?

Whatever the calculated chances may be, obviously there is twice the likelihood of a drive failure over a single-drive unit.

Last I recall they do not have any active cooling either [failure part] so the drives tend to run on the upper spectrum of max temperature thus more failure.
I have a small passport and just copying 50G of files it heats up to over 100F fairly quickly.

WD could slap in a pair of the new 6TB He drives in raid1 but it would be stupid expensive.

RAID 0 by default? Yeah, this will make a good backup drive, not.

Where's the difference between one drive going bad and a two drive raid array going bad ?

I'll tell you, you still have one drive left from the array, the data would be gone on both solutions anyway.

Whatever the calculated chances may be, obviously there is twice the likelihood of a drive failure over a single-drive unit.

No, if the failure rate is say 1:1,000,000, then if you have two drives then your risk of a failure would be 2:1,000,000, not 1:500,000.

...just as buying two lottery tickets does not double your chance of winning the jackpot.

I'd like to see [H] to a review on this unit. I have one and it does come with a built in fan but I have yet to hear/feel it kick on.

Still waiting for a reply from WD at what point it should to keep the drives cool which is the whole idea.

RED drives are claimed to be able to reach 160F max which is insane for a drive and longevity.

I'll bet the temperature probe is on the chasis, it's not on the drives as they are in twin hotswap bays.

Also apparent the fan does not run when the unit is on by default unless mine is defective.

Back