Crytek In Financial Trouble?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to multiple sources, Crytek is in serious financial trouble and has had a hard time making payroll for its employees.

DSOGaming summarizes more from the story in English, saying the recently released new version of CryENGINE is not selling well, that development of Ryse was catastrophic, and that there have been delays in making payroll for the 800 employee company.

Maybe they should split the team in two and release a Crysis game every year.

They have to realize that the, better part, of the community boycott'ed it, because of the "look over your shoulder while you create/mod", that their engine now requires you to be online, and them snooping into what you do.

I spend over a year creating tools for CryEngine2, then CE3 arrived, with the "have to be online" crap, and alot got pissed off and simply stopped using it, going elsewhere.

Just stop that crap CryTek!!!.

This is exactly why game companies lay off huge amounts of employees right after a game has been completed. Unless you need them for your next game, they're just dead weight.

Game engines are a dime a dozen. Even John Carmack said that there's no real room for improvement in game engines. That's why he's working on VR tech instead of ID Tech 7 or whatever game engine.

They have to realize that the, better part, of the community boycott'ed it, because of the "look over your shoulder while you create/mod", that their engine now requires you to be online, and them snooping into what you do.

I spend over a year creating tools for CryEngine2, then CE3 arrived, with the "have to be online" crap, and alot got pissed off and simply stopped using it, going elsewhere.

Just stop that crap CryTek!!!.

Really? Wow. In an industry that is pretty much 100% creative IP when you get down to it, they are snooping on that? WTF?

this could be catastrophic for PC gaming, considering there one of the only firms that push the envelope for graphics.

Imagine a landscape dominated by Ubi and EA, with nothing but console ports as far as the eye can see. It's a pretty horrific prospect, if you ask me.

this could be catastrophic for PC gaming, considering there one of the only firms that push the envelope for graphics.

Imagine a landscape dominated by Ubi and EA, with nothing but console ports as far as the eye can see. It's a pretty horrific prospect, if you ask me.

Not really seeing where modern day Crytek stood apart from that.

Not really. No firm pushes PC graphics, but why worry about graphics? As far as graphics are concerned, we've hit the peak long ago. So long ago that we now consider 4k the next big leap in graphics technology. Their game engines are made for consoles nowadays, not PC. Crysis 1 was so PC exclusive that a port couldn't be done without substantially reducing the game.

Let me know when someone makes a game engine that uses Ray-Tracing, or has actual physics. These two technologies would revolutionize gaming, but aren't used because of the heavy reliance on the CPU. Imagine if a game looks like this with physics so sophisticated that a door could be destroyed or for that matter an entire building if I so choose to. A game like Everquest Next[/ur] where the you could literally create holes or tunnels to get to your objective. I'm hoping Half Life 3 will have either one of those two elements in it. All Crytek has done with their engine is create a Halo clone.

do you guys know that crysis 2 was the most pirated game of 2011...

this is why gaming is moving to consoles.

And while piracy is a bit more difficult on consoles, in 2011 the most pirated Wii game was Super Mario Galaxy 2, and the most pirated Xbox 360 game was Gears of War 3 , and the most pirated tv show of 2013 was Game of Thrones... this is why tv shows are moving to... wait...

Did you know that Crysis2 wasnt a very good game and most people would not have paid for it anyway if piracy were somehow impossible.

Give me a break. They're failing because their games suck. Every time they came up with a promising franchise,like FarCry or Crysis,they proceeded to trash it with sequels that came nowhere near the originals.

Their engine didn't quite catch on like epics or even the unity engine.

Ryse was released for a console that didn't have the penetration to get them mega hit COD like status.

Cryteks failure, at least from what i've seen over the years was going too big too fast. They should have continued to develop the farcry and crysis brands offering FPS alternatives to the CODlike crowd. Instead they tried, imo too hard to be COD. I don't think crysis was a flop on consoles, it just wasn't good enough.

And yet all new console systems are in panic mode cause sales have slumped. Particularly Microsoft who can't get anyone to buy a Xbone even when they removed the Kinect.

Give me a break. They're failing because their games suck. Every time they came up with a promising franchise,like FarCry or Crysis,they proceeded to trash it with sequels that came nowhere near the originals.

I agree 100%!

Not really. No firm pushes PC graphics, but why worry about graphics? As far as graphics are concerned, we've hit the peak long ago. So long ago that we now consider 4k the next big leap in graphics technology. Their game engines are made for consoles nowadays, not PC. Crysis 1 was so PC exclusive that a port couldn't be done without substantially reducing the game.

Let me know when someone makes a game engine that uses Ray-Tracing, or has actual physics. These two technologies would revolutionize gaming, but aren't used because of the heavy reliance on the CPU. Imagine if a game looks like this with physics so sophisticated that a door could be destroyed or for that matter an entire building if I so choose to. A game like Everquest Next[/ur] where the you could literally create holes or tunnels to get to your objective. I'm hoping Half Life 3 will have either one of those two elements in it. All Crytek has done with their engine is create a Halo clone.

I wouldn't say we've hit the peak as far as what today's technology can do, but it takes time and money to push boundaries, something which most companies can't really afford to do, given where we are at with technology.

I do agree though that it takes a better game to sell an engine, but I don't have faith in Valve to create a groundbreaking engine. They were a game company, and not a technology company.

They abandoned PC as their primary development target didn't they?

Fuck em.

I do agree though that it takes a better game to sell an engine, but I don't have faith in Valve to create a groundbreaking engine. They were a game company, and not a technology company.
Valve isn't a game engine company, but they've done impressive things for their time. When HL1 was released they had modified a lot of the Quake engine. Eventually they created their own game engine Source, which did have some network code left over from Quake 1, which John Carmack noted. Remember, Source was the first true DX9 game engine. Everything before it was a mix of Dx8.1 with some elements of DX9.

Source engine holds up so well that even Titanfall uses it. No game makes as good of use of facial animations as Source. No game makes as good use of physics as source. And source is very PC spec friendly, able to run on a wide range of hardware.

But if HL3's Source 2 engine doesn't make use of Ray-Tracing or truly destructible environments then nothing probably will. Even Valve caved in to support the PS3 after they had said they wouldn't because the PS3 was a load of filth. But money talks...

Yeah, consoles are the future. Good choice on them making Ryse console-only, it's really helped save them.

And yeah, piracy rates were high for Crysis 2. It also sold over 3 million copies. How can devs afford to eat with piracy taking such a big chunk of that!

Honestly, I was never impressed by CryTek's products. Crysis and Far Cry were beautiful, for sure. And, they could be entertaining to play for a bit but I was never pulled in and wowed. Their games were much like Avatar. Pretty technological marvels but no substance, boring story, and lacking in interest. So... I just never bothered with the sequels outside of Blood Dragon which was just some simple, stupid fun.

Crysis 2 and 3 sucked donkey dong and were commercial flops. Serves them right for turning their backs on the PC community.

Crysis 2 had horrible looking console textures. It was a huge downgrade from the first Crysis. Crysis Warhead was the last Crytek game I bought. Never had an interest in them after that.

Ryse was an Xbone One exclusive.

So how's that console first policy looking now, Crytek?

Crytek is denying the rumors that surfaced yesterday claiming the company is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Regardless of what some media are reporting, mostly based on a recent article published by GameStar, the information in those reports and in the GameStar article itself are rumors which Crytek deny.

Back