Russia Plans Replacing Intel and AMD Chips with Domestic Brand

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In Mother Russia microchips replace you. :D Russia has let it be known that it will be replacing Intel and AMD processors in government operated computers and replacing them with home-grown Baikal computer chips. No immediate reason was given for the change over. Thanks to forum member Cerulean for the link. :cool:

The Baikal chips will be installed on computers of government bodies and in state-run firms, which purchase some 700,000 personal computers annually worth $500 million and 300,000 servers worth $800 million.

I wonder if the chips are socket compatible with the intel and amd chips?
Otherwise they will be swapping mainboards as well, and then reconfiguring every machine that doesn't want to boot up with the new hardware.

Probably a byproduct of the NSA. Then again, Russia has been about homegrown stuff. Alos the replacement for AMD/Intel is actually ARM.

I would be interested to see who owns the microchip manufacturer. I am certain that there is more to do with money here than the NSA.

Mother RUSSIA would like to thank Mr. Snowden for all the information now Get the Phuk outta our Country.

yup, obvious the reasoning here, ensure the only one going through the back door is the Russians

Gee, it might have something to do with Russia's abysmal track record of producing IC's.

I know that when looking up vacuum tubes, Russian ones (Soviet era) were leagues ahead of any others. IC's must be a completely different thing, though.

I know that when looking up vacuum tubes, Russian ones (Soviet era) were leagues ahead of any others. IC's must be a completely different thing, though.

Not even in the same realm. Vacuum tubes are easy compared to ICs.

Gee, it might have something to do with Russia's abysmal track record of producing IC's.

What, because of old failed attempts at 90nm fabrication? That's just two companies not involved. T-Platforms has been very competitive in the supercomputing field for quite some time now, they ranked #3 (or was it #4?) in Europe a few years ago compared to the competition. #18 or something world-wide. They'll do just fine.

You know Iran (among others) will be begging to buy some of these chips after stuxnet.

I think China owns VIA now... there you go, an unlimited supply of crappy VIA C3+ chips. Welcome back to the Pentium 3 era, comrades..

Russian announces new plant ready to release 1 million new processors to install into the market.

Intel announces hijack of containers that were shipping somewhere on the order of a million processors.

Not even in the same realm. Vacuum tubes are easy compared to ICs.

Yea, I know. Seems their technical prowess went downhill when things got small.

I've always heard that about Soviet stuff, though. While the US stuff was elegant, the USSR stuff was crude but functional.

But then millions of Russians won't be able to get by on pirated copies of Windows!

Or am I not supposed to point out the peg-legged, yar-har-har'ing elephant chug-a-lugging rum in the corner?

This probably has to do with saving money, since Russia can't seem to sell anything else other than old military weapons.

This probably has to do with saving money, since Russia can't seem to sell anything else other than old military weapons.

And about a bajillion dollars in natural gas, that and slightly more legit human trafficking.

Since China owns Intel. How much is China putting spy code into the CPU's now?

You know Iran (among others) will be begging to buy some of these chips after stuxnet.

I highly doubt the ABB built controllers that stuxnet targeted would work with the russian chips.

I highly doubt the ABB built controllers that stuxnet targeted would work with the russian chips.
You're thinking too narrowly. It's not a matter of whether that particular incident would have been avoided, but the whole vector of attack through intimate familiarity and access to the hardware makers and software/firmware signing entitites.

But then millions of Russians won't be able to get by on pirated copies of Windows!

Or am I not supposed to point out the peg-legged, yar-har-har'ing elephant chug-a-lugging rum in the corner?

Sigh...It say the government are changing processors, not the public.

Now the Russian Federation buys around 700, 000 PCs and around 300, 000 servers that equates to 1.3 Billion USD. The net market that Russia will deny USA is approximately 3.5 Billion USD

Read more: http://wccftech.com/arm-baikal-processor-8-cores-cleansweep-amd-intel-russia/#ixzz35SmTpzhK

Now you can also blame the NSA for the shitty US economy.

This has far more to do with domestic production and economic reasoning more than anything else. Put away the tin foil hats, there is no conspiracy here.

More likely some people at the Industry and Trade Ministry are getting a nice kickback from T-Platforms over this, while using national pride and NSA backdoors as an excuse.

own OS (aka own linux distro) makes sense, but your own chips? that would really be a pain to move into unless they plan it over a 10 or more year period I guess

no one see the irony here? ARMS is also USA/UK base architecture company....so... big circle?

Back