Yahoo Publishes Internal Diversity Numbers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Taking a cue from Google, it looks like Yahoo has decided to publish its internal diversity numbers as well.

Overall, Yahoo is comprised of 62% men and 37% women. That's slightly better that Google's gender divide--which is 70% men and 30% women--but parity is still far off, especially at the leadership level. Including CEO Marissa Mayer, just 23% of Yahoo executives are women.

Last edited:
Oh the humanity, and I suppose next we are going to be outraged that the healthcare industry is female dominated, with 78% female.

Or perhaps we can throw a fit about how 69% of those in the education industry are female.

Fact is, men and women don't statistically have the same interests or talents, which should be a no brainer. How many males have you seen employed at a child day care service for example? One out of ten? Not even.. is that a problem? Nope!

If anything, Yahoo and Google are likely trying to fluff their diversity numbers to compensate for a lack of female interest, and passing up more qualified male applicants to make the numbers look better.

Based on the few times I find myself on the Microsoft campus, I'd say they are 92% East Indian male.

No, the PC left will never complain about white males being underrepresented in any field, whether its education, healthcare, or the NBA for that matter.

"White male" and to a lesser extent "Old and white" are now used as racial pejoratives that are politically correct.

Isn't Yahoo's only profitable product something they don't even operate (Baidu)?

IBM is roughly 95% Indians. They do 100% of their hiring directly from India's silly "universities".

what's Yahoo and Google going to do now? hire more women solely because of their gender to balance it out? pass on real talent despite gender?

these useless stats only help feed feminists

the word diversity is just the next hot button bullshit, it's going to turn into the same thing as "race" has. Talk about it so much, make a huge deal about nothing to the point where nobody gives a damn anymore.

Nobody starts a business for the express purpose of having a diverse work force. If a company is providing goods and services and making profit, who the hell cares how they do it? Sure, diversity can help in some situations but don't build your whole damn empire around it.

My job can sometimes be hard as hell BECAUSE of diversity, someone that speaks broken english, or has a remedial level of education.... it's hard to work with or even around them.

I also like how we can talk about all sorts of diversity for women, blacks, indians, etc, etc. however, if I mention an instance where the average white male is under-represented, suddenly I'm a racist. Why can't the NAACP be more diverse and hire a fair amount of us white guys? Oh that's right, they are black so don't have to play by the same rules when it comes to race, language, or other things.

I'd be pretty pissed if I ran a billion dollar company and just because the whole world is on a politically correct kick, I am "forced" to hire people of a certain color/gender JUST so I can give the appearance that I give a damn. Never mind the fact that the pool of qualified gender/race applicants might not even exist.

The company I'm currently with pulls this crap all the time. If you are a woman, and happen to be black. You are instantly hired, doesn't matter your education, work ethic, they just want you so they can check off some boxes on their diversity papers and announce to the world "look at us! look how fair we are!" What they won't announce is how they will pay them more to keep them, and pay me (a degreed professional) less to clean up after them. It's all good though, exactly 31 days till my new job starts (back in the oil and gas game baby)

Talk about it so much, make a huge deal about nothing to the point where nobody gives a damn anymore.
Unfortunately, that's not how brainwashing works. Go to a school of 8-14 year olds and talk to them for about 10 mins. They'd go to the heart of San Francisco and bitch that everyone is a racist neo-con! :D They might grow up into regular people if they have enough exposure to the real world, but its really hard to go against a lifetime of indoctrination as confirmation bias is very powerful.

Unfortunately, that's not how brainwashing works. Go to a school of 8-14 year olds and talk to them for about 10 mins. They'd go to the heart of San Francisco and bitch that everyone is a racist neo-con! :D They might grow up into regular people if they have enough exposure to the real world, but its really hard to go against a lifetime of indoctrination as confirmation bias is very powerful.

I'm 46, was born at the end of the Civil Rights movement, and am the first generation in my family since arriving on American soil that wasn't born into slavery or Jim Crow. Call just knowing where I came from brainwashing, but the matter of race, especially in the South, has a long and ugly history and it's ALWAY been a divisive issue. There's little in these threads that hasn't long been hotly contested centuries before any of us were born. And how one feels about these issues is very much tied to their and environment and the color of their skin.

And how one feels about these issues is very much tied to their and environment and the color of their skin.
Its tied to the same thing everything is tied; self-interest. Democrats have learned that they can both buy votes and gain votes by pitting groups against each other, and in that power play people have learned that its advantageous to play the victim.

If I lose my job, do I want to blame myself? Of course not, its much easier to think that I was fired because I'm a black lesbian woman in her 60s, and better than just the reward of externalizing faults and THINKING it is whipping out a bunch of cards to get management's decision overruled. Or even better than that is to create a culture of threatening lawsuits so that people will fear me in the first place and hire me when even remotely qualified, be worried about losing their job if they dare fire me, and demand unwarranted promotions or raises.

Its called victim-culture, and polls have shown that the majority feel that they are discriminated against... which by its very nature is rediculous since you're left with only a small minority. Basically the only people that haven't been able to jump on the bandwagon are white males, but even subgroups of that jump in because of religious beliefs (such as Jewish guys).

I'm 46, was born at the end of the Civil Rights movement, and am the first generation in my family since arriving on American soil that wasn't born into slavery or Jim Crow.
Which means you may have a strong racial bias to "right previous wrongs" and discriminate against me. I demand protection from the state! Hello? Gdammit, why can't I have a card. :(

Won't someone think of the poor oppressed white male?

Asians are more likely to hire asians. Blacks with blacks, mexicans with mexicans, and indians with indians. They do that as they are tribal-like people and hideously racist (but we won't go there, I'm white so I'm not allowed to point out that elephant in the room) but it's only a problem when whites decide to hire only whites. I find what Yahoo and Google are doing perfectly acceptable.

Which means you may have a strong racial bias to "right previous wrongs" and discriminate against me. I demand protection from the state! Hello? Gdammit, why can't I have a card. :(

Yes, I have a strong bias not to be a slave or live under Jim Crow.

Is that a realistic concern at the office in 2014? About as legitimate as Chinese people fearing a Mongol invasion.

Huh? Why would anyone not have a strong bias against these things ALWAYS? They way you and other talk, it's only about Democrats buying votes. People around here love to talk about remembering the lessons of history, EXCEPT in the matters of race.

Huh? Why would anyone not have a strong bias against these things ALWAYS? They way you and other talk, it's only about Democrats buying votes. People around here love to talk about remembering the lessons of history, EXCEPT in the matters of race.
My original point was about victim-culture, and that if its strong in your mind today, something everyone really devotes a lot of time thinking about as you say in the South in 2014, its because its simply a mean to externalize personal failings while simultaneously gaining advantage.

At what point in your estimation has slavery been over long enough, that it doesn't have to be something you really think about? Should Americans hold a grudge against the Japanese for WW2? Such nonsense is the main reason the Sunnis and Shiites are still warring with one another. And dammit, the Jews still haven't even apologized for killing Christ...

My original point was about victim-culture, and that if its strong in your mind today, something everyone really devotes a lot of time thinking about as you say in the South in 2014, its because its simply a mean to externalize personal failings while simultaneously gaining advantage.

At what point in your estimation has slavery been over long enough, that it doesn't have to be something you really think about? Should Americans hold a grudge against the Japanese for WW2? Such nonsense is the main reason the Sunnis and Shiites are still warring with one another. And dammit, the Jews still haven't even apologized for killing Christ...

To this day there are people that fly the Confederate battle flag and reenact Civil War battles. Why don't you go ask them why they spend time doing that.

The irony is that there are people, some of whom are posting here, that actually believe discriminating against a white male in the name of diversity is NOT racism.

Trying to punish someone for the crimes of others is wrong.

Guilt being passed down from the person who committed the act to someone else who did nothing wrong is a characteristic of primitive cultures.

If you feel a white male born 30 years ago owes you something, or should go to the back of the line, or be treated unequally in any way simply because he was born white is truly practicing racial discrimination and has no place in this country.

To this day there are people that fly the Confederate battle flag and reenact Civil War battles. Why don't you go ask them why they spend time doing that.

Firstly, the civil war was about the balance of power between states and the federal government. Slavery was a secondary issue, used primarily as a means of economic warfare against the south.

That said, what's worse, some guy flying a defunct flag that you find offensive, or the fact that black males, less than 6% of the population, commit over 40% of violent crime?

A black male is 21 times more likely to assault or kill someone of another race than the inverse. This is per DOJ violent crime statistics.

If this situation were reversed the NAACP would be calling for UN troops to protect their people from genocide.

My brother was flat out told when interviewing for a new position that was essentially linear upward promotion it would need to be filled by a woman. Didn't matter he was Ideally qualified and she had no experience in the field. Now he takes direction from her and supplies her with data and explains what it means.

Yeah I'm sure it improved his perception of women in the workplace.

LMAO! The Dukes of Hazzard = Lynching Mobile. If you believe the defining characteristic of the South is slavery or that the Civil War was about slavery rather than States Rights, check for other posts on this forum. Try a search "Abraham Lincoln Quotes" to learn about real history. Thanks for making my point about the indoctrination of America though.

Firstly, the civil war was about the balance of power between states and the federal government. Slavery was a secondary issue, used primarily as a means of economic warfare against the south.

In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html#Mississippi

That said, what's worse, some guy flying a defunct flag that you find offensive, or the fact that black males, less than 6% of the population, commit over 40% of violent crime? A black male is 21 times more likely to assault or kill someone of another race than the inverse. This is per DOJ violent crime statistics.

Who said I found it offensive? I simply am pointing out that there are people that still think about the Confederacy. People have told me that it is part of their heritage and that's why they think about it. Actually, the Confederacy is part of MY heritage as well.

As far as black crime, I've grown up all my life hearing and seeing the numbers. The only person that I can keep out of trouble though is myself. And anytime someone tries to do something about it yet another clusterfuck conflict wages that's long been the history of blacks in America. Gee, no surprise.

If this situation were reversed the NAACP would be calling for UN troops to protect their people from genocide.

And yet there's all these complaints about too many black welfare mommas and daddies that don't want to work. If blacks were truly committing genocide I don't think this would be the problem that many here think that it is.

LMAO! The Dukes of Hazzard = Lynching Mobile. If you believe the defining characteristic of the South is slavery or that the Civil War was about slavery rather than States Rights, check for other posts on this forum. Try a search "Abraham Lincoln Quotes" to learn about real history. Thanks for making my point about the indoctrination of America though.

LOL! I grew up watching the Dukes of Hazard, heck my dad was the reason I started watching, he loved it! The same guy that fought in WW II in a segregated unit that couldn't go the school he wanted after the war because we was black.

I think part of the problem with race in this country is that too many people want to fit others into some kind of neat little box. We'll he's black, or white, or Hispanic and must conform to some stereotype because, of course, one person can totally understand the life experiences of millions.

I'm 46, was born at the end of the Civil Rights movement, and am the first generation in my family since arriving on American soil that wasn't born into slavery or Jim Crow. Call just knowing where I came from brainwashing, but the matter of race, especially in the South, has a long and ugly history and it's ALWAY been a divisive issue. There's little in these threads that hasn't long been hotly contested centuries before any of us were born. And how one feels about these issues is very much tied to their and environment and the color of their skin.

[H] Diversity +1

I would be more disturbed if their racial and gender distribution was perfectly even, because there is no way to achieve that without straight-up discrimination, hiring people only because of their gender or race.

http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html#Mississippi

Who said I found it offensive? I simply am pointing out that there are people that still think about the Confederacy. People have told me that it is part of their heritage and that's why they think about it. Actually, the Confederacy is part of MY heritage as well.

As far as black crime, I've grown up all my life hearing and seeing the numbers. The only person that I can keep out of trouble though is myself. And anytime someone tries to do something about it yet another clusterfuck conflict wages that's long been the history of blacks in America. Gee, no surprise.

And yet there's all these complaints about too many black welfare mommas and daddies that don't want to work. If blacks were truly committing genocide I don't think this would be the problem that many here think that it is.

If violent tendencies were a racial trait, wouldn't that play out in other places in the world as well? I think socio-economic factors play a more important role in determining this kind of behavior and that is what is really being displayed in those statistics.

As far as employee diversity is concerned, I do not understand all of these press releases. Should we be unhappy that the ratios are not 50/50 in this case? What are the ratios of other companies and what about other professions? A previous poster was right on in stating that different genders have different interests.

If there are cases of legitimately qualified applicants being denied a position/promotion, or intentionally being paid a lower salary/smaller bonus for doing the same job specifically because they are one gender or the other, then that is discrimination, which should be dealt with accordingly. If more men gravitate to a profession because it is less appealing to do that job for women, it is not a crime. For example, what is the percentage of female sanitation workers to male sanitation workers, and can anything of importance be gleaned from that statistic?

The irony is that there are people, some of whom are posting here, that actually believe discriminating against a white male in the name of diversity is NOT racism.

Trying to punish someone for the crimes of others is wrong.

Guilt being passed down from the person who committed the act to someone else who did nothing wrong is a characteristic of primitive cultures.

If you feel a white male born 30 years ago owes you something, or should go to the back of the line, or be treated unequally in any way simply because he was born white is truly practicing racial discrimination and has no place in this country.

Except that you don't have to go back 30 years to experience racism...and who here has been condoning racism against white people?

Why can't the NAACP be more diverse and hire a fair amount of us white guys? Oh that's right, they are black so don't have to play by the same rules when it comes to race, language, or other things.

Feel free to tell us about the time you went to your local NAACP chapter to become a member?

Back