Court Hands Google a Worldwide Site Blocking Injunction

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dear Canada,

Good luck getting Google to comply with anything, court ordered or not, the company doesn't want to do. Better countries than you have tried...and all have failed. ;)

In what is being viewed as an over-broad action with serious implications, a Canadian court has ordered Google to completely block a group of websites from its worldwide search results. The ruling was handed down despite Google's protestations that the court has no jurisdiction over Google locally or in the United States.

Ignore it, lawyers are rapidly destroying the civil society they were so instrumental in building.

If I was Google, I would shut down google.ca and replace it with a message about this case.

Man, isn't Google stupidly arrogant these days. Canadian court has no jurisdiction over them in Canada? WTF

If I was Google, I would shut down google.ca and replace it with a message about this case.

ok, enough internet for today. Off to the kindergarten with you

Man, isn't Google stupidly arrogant these days. Canadian court has no jurisdiction over them in Canada? WTF

ok, enough internet for today. Off to the kindergarten with you

You're making fun of this guy when you didn't read - in the short quote IN THE OP - that Canada wants Google to block results WORLDWIDE? Yeah, you need to go back and learn to read.

Fuck you, Canada.

Man, isn't Google stupidly arrogant these days. Canadian court has no jurisdiction over them in Canada?

Didn't read the article? Perhaps you should. You'd come off looking less like an idiot then when you grill other people.

In a ruling handed down in British Columbia, Justice L.A. Fenlon agreed, ordering Google to remove the infringing websites’ listings from its search results. Despite protestations from Google that any injunction should be limited to Canada and Google.ca, the Judge targeted Google’s central database in the United States, meaning that the ruling has worldwide implications.

It's as silly as it would be if Iran ordered Google to block all material offensive to Iran on Google worldwide. It can't work the way Canada wants it to.

Welcome to the new government attempts to deal with worldwide conglomerates. Not sure 100% how I feel.

If you REALLY want to see overreach here, look at FATCA. The US just told the world that they have to report on all their US financial clients, otherwise if they have income in the US they will seize 30% of it. Even better, the law is slightly fuzzy around whether that 30% seized can even be reclaimed!

You're making fun of this guy when you didn't read - in the short quote IN THE OP - that Canada wants Google to block results WORLDWIDE? Yeah, you need to go back and learn to read.

Didn't read the article? Perhaps you should. You'd come off looking less like an idiot then when you grill other people.

In a ruling handed down in British Columbia, Justice L.A. Fenlon agreed, ordering Google to remove the infringing websites’ listings from its search results. Despite protestations from Google that any injunction should be limited to Canada and Google.ca, the Judge targeted Google’s central database in the United States, meaning that the ruling has worldwide implications.

Article subheading says "The ruling was handed down despite Google's protestations that the court has no jurisdiction over Google locally or in the United States."

Now, what does that mean? Maybe I am too tired. Just explain it to me like you would a 3 year old.

Article subheading says "The ruling was handed down despite Google's protestations that the court has no jurisdiction over Google locally or in the United States."

Now, what does that mean? Maybe I am too tired. Just explain it to me like you would a 3 year old.

It means this happened:

Canada: Google, censor these results worldwide.

Google: We're willing to censor them in Canada only, but you have no jurisdiction over our servers in the US or elsewhere

Canada: We don't care. Censor these results worldwide.

That's your take on "the court has no jurisdiction over Google locally"? :eek:

Maybe I need more sleep. 12 hours total for the last 5 days.

Ignore it, lawyers are rapidly destroying the civil society they were so instrumental in building.
This is the mistake eveyone makes and put lawyers into office.

Lawyers are not and never were really law makers. They are actually diametrically opposed. Laws are formed to accomplish a specific intent. Lawyers use technicalities and emotion to circumvent the intent. Usually Lawyers are law negaters and perverters. Lawyers are used to form law only as a defensive move against the lawyers who will try to negate or pervert laws.

But for some reason people think 'lawyers work in the law, who better to send to washington to create and form law'. Absolutely the wrong people to send. Its in their blood to have no respect for forming good law. Yet people send them over and over again. People are fucking stupid.

The reason I suggested shutting down Google.ca (and their Canadian offices, if they have any) is that it would remove Google from Canada's jurisdiction entirely.

Fuck you, Canada.

Yes, fuck an entire country because one judge oversteps her jurisdiction... idiot.

Back