YouTube Blocking Indie Artists As It Launches Paid Music Service?

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, YouTube is planning to block videos from indie labels that do not sign licensing deals for its upcoming subscription music service.

WIN claims that the company has signed lucrative licensing deals with major labels Universal, Warner and Sony, while demanding that independent labels sign up to inferior terms or face having their videos blocked from YouTube's free service.

you remember the internet? it was really cool...I miss it

Youtube was awesome when it was Youtube and not Googletube. People still going to argue with me that Google is getting too powerful? Monopolies are inevitable unchecked and invariably will abuse their power, that's why its in the public interest to break them up at some point to encourage competition.

No wonder they are allowed to have all that illegal content, back room deals with labels to screw the little guys.

Youtube was awesome when it was Youtube and not Googletube. People still going to argue with me that Google is getting too powerful? Monopolies are inevitable unchecked and invariably will abuse their power, that's why its in the public interest to break them up at some point to encourage competition.

No one is stopping anyone from creating a YouTube killer.....

Well, it's their service. I don't think it's .... hmm... against the rules? I guess for them to block it. Unless they get one of those anti competitive lawsuits. But, I've always been one to support company being able to do what they want when it's their service, as long as they aren't infringing with human rights and state it clearly.

That said, this is really slimy. Maybe this would cause a rise with other sites like Vimeo, hopefully.

Don't understand why Youtube has to be anal about artist who doesn't want to be part of that premium streaming stuff.

Not YouTube's fault that we all use it. Honestly, what other online video site do we use that's like YouTube? I can't honestly think of any. YouTube needs a real competitor.

YouTube quality sucks, why would I ever pay for that. I can understand the ads, even if they are extremely obnoxious sometimes, but actually paying? Nah.

Well, it's their service. I don't think it's .... hmm... against the rules? I guess for them to block it. Unless they get one of those anti competitive lawsuits. But, I've always been one to support company being able to do what they want when it's their service, as long as they aren't infringing with human rights and state it clearly.

That said, this is really slimy. Maybe this would cause a rise with other sites like Vimeo, hopefully.

Yep, it's their service. Doesn't mean they aren't being assholes about it, though. I see some of these smaller "Don't do evil" companies get huge, and that mantra goes right out the window.

Sounds like an opportunity for people to (further) develop Indie music video sites. There are some out there, maybe they'll just become better known and more popular than they are now.

Don't understand why Youtube has to be anal about artist who doesn't want to be part of that premium streaming stuff.

Because it means less money for Google.

I really want to get rid of google, but their gmail is so much better than the options, IMO, and I hate having to swap over all my email address in various accounts.

As for Chrome...it works best for me. I'd use Opera or FF before going back to IE. IE is a steaming pile of shit.

Sounds like an opportunity for people to (further) develop Indie music video sites. There are some out there, maybe they'll just become better known and more popular than they are now.
That's not really how herds work.

Most people use youtube not because they like the new commenting system or website layout, but because everyone is at youtube.

If you upload your stuff to XYZtube, who is going to watch it? You'll be playing to an audience of crickets. If EVERYONE was already on XYZtube, then no one would move to Youtube either.

Its why Google+ is such a failure. No one uses it because no one is on it and so no one uses it. Its hard to get the herd to move en masse... and it DOES happen, its just very difficult to make happen. It took the massive disaster of MySpace for example before people were willing to jump ship to facebook. If MySpace were even just mediocre, it would have remained dominant.

Try reading a story rather than just the headline sometimes. This isn't about artists at all. Its about labels that have been getting a free ride and profiting from YouTube, and a small minority of them (less than 10%) who don't want the free ride coming to an end.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled clickbait headline kneejerkfest.

Back