Iraq Blocks Twitter, Google, YouTube and Facebook

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Iraq is implementing their own homegrown version of the Patriot Act by shutting down the social media sites in that country. In recent days, Iraq has experienced militant takeover of several Iraqi towns and the government has shut down media outlets to curb extremist opposition coordination.

Countrywide bans of social media platforms are designed to impede groups from organizing, communicating, and most importantly, from mobilizing.

Don't blame them.
From what I'm hearing of ISIS is that they are worst and more bloodier than Al-Qaeda.

Guess that is what you get for removing the devil you know.
Hopefully we'll think next time before we give them our weapons.

Because shutting down social media will totally not backfire pissing off the populace...and totally work in stopping militants from communicating.

It is both reassuring and terrifying that true morons exist in power outside of the US Congress.

they have time to do this but not protect themselves from terrorists?

I say we go with a nuke triple play. Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan, shit throw in Libya too.:D

Blocking data??? REALLY????

I thought these guy's were blowing everything up, didn't realize they even had internet.

According to Wikipedia "IPv4: 243,712 addresses allocated, 108th in the world, less than 0.05% of the world total, 7.8 addresses per 1000 people (2012)"

See that 7.8 addresses per 1000 people...... Yeeeaaaahhhhh... Their not blocking much of anyone because most people in Iraq don't have internet....

I say we go with a nuke triple play. Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan, shit throw in Libya too.:D

We got lots of nuclear weapons ... it's a lot cheaper than disarming them ... so I vote for Team "Nuke them back to the Stoneage" :D

Don't blame them.
From what I'm hearing of ISIS is that they are worst and more bloodier than Al-Qaeda.

Guess that is what you get for removing the devil you know.
Hopefully we'll think next time before we give them our weapons.

But but... Saddam was killing his own people you Anti-American Troop-Hating liberal! :p

What a disaster. I hope there was some real geopolitical benefit to what we've done over there.

But but... Saddam was killing his own people you Anti-American Troop-Hating liberal! :p

What a disaster. I hope there was some real geopolitical benefit to what we've done over there.

It made Halliburton and Blackwater a shit ton of money, anyway.

We got lots of nuclear weapons ... it's a lot cheaper than disarming them ... so I vote for Team "Nuke them back to the Stoneage" :D
What do you mean "back to"?

And FYI, we already have the fleet on the way to Iraq as we speak because of the religious militants. What we really need to do is somehow force broadcast science channels and what not, and convert as many people as possible to atheism.

And FYI, we already have the fleet on the way to Iraq as we speak because of the religious militants. What we really need to do is somehow force broadcast science channels and what not, and convert as many people as possible to atheism.

Or, since they are religious then "Kill them all and let God sort them out" ;)

+1

Ducman69 said:

This notion that, without religion, they'll suddenly be a peace-loving people, spreading Skittles and sunshine amongst each other, is asinine. Religion doesn't cause this behavior. It's a justification, as it's been for any number of religious wars. Take it away, and you'll have some other justification in its place to continue the behavior.

Look at Africa's similar mess, without any cohesive religious reasoning.

This notion that, without religion, they'll suddenly be a peace-loving people, spreading Skittles and sunshine amongst each other, is asinine. Religion doesn't cause this behavior. It's a justification, as it's been for any number of religious wars. Take it away, and you'll have some other justification in its place to continue the behavior.

This ... they have been fighting in that region for 3000 years ... long before they ever converted to Islam ... religion just gave them a new vehicle but they have been on that road for millennia and don't seem interested in an off ramp anytime soon ;)

What we really need to do is somehow force broadcast science channels and what not, and convert as many people as possible to atheism.

While I don't disagree with this sentiment, there are other issues at play (social/economic inequality and access to resources) that need to be fixed in addition to the education issue. Those things generally don't change quickly without violence. A dictator can keep the peace in an uneducated backwater, but better education and open communication lead to social upheaval if the existing system can't deliver the resources a more advanced society needs, as we've seen with the Arab spring revolts and counter-revolts.

Western influence and the rapid changes it causes are a major destabilizing factor that these areas have been unable to deal with on their own. That's a big part of why radical militant groups are successful.

+1

Anything that will get them to stop shouting Admiral Akbar twenty times in a row for every gunshot and rocket would be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, forget religion, we need more of Mao Tse Tung, Stalin, and African communist type levelheadedness. :p

Bummer that social media has caused problems. Why can't it be used to induce positive reform in any governments? Must it always bring about crap?

LOL, what? He has nothing to do with Iraq shutting down social media sites.

No, but he supported and supplied ISIS when he thought they could be used depose Assad and set their current butcherous leader in Iraq, free in 2009.

W

Atheism is only the answer if the question is how do you kill tens of millions of your own people. Stalin, Mao, Kim Il-sung, and Pol Pot have shown how much atheism benefits a society.

Christian Europe and America are responsible the for the greatest number of scientific advances in the world.

Atheism is only the answer if the question is how do you kill tens of millions of your own people. Stalin, Mao, Kim Il-sung, and Pol Pot have shown how much atheism benefits a society.

Christian Europe and America are responsible the for the greatest number of scientific advances in the world.

The middle east would like to talk to you about algebra, astronomy, and lots of other things...p

LOL, what? He has nothing to do with Iraq shutting down social media sites.

THe ISIS were trained and armed by America to fight Assad in Syria, of course nobody told them they had to stay inside Syria. The moral of the story, stop interfering in the affair of foreign nations.

As an atheist, I am highly offended by this statement. Atheism is not a religion! Stop trying to F#@K it up. we don't go around preaching and converting because WE DON"T CARE, we are indifferent to religion. Also your logic is questionable since there are plenty of scientist who are very religious. religion and science are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Atheism is not a religion!

Obviously. Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

As an atheist, I am highly offended by this statement...

Stop trying to F#@K it up. we don't go around preaching and converting because WE DON"T CARE, we are indifferent to religion.

Says who? Are you the atheist pope? :p

Like I said in my response to Ducman69's post its a complicated problem with a tangled mess of social and economic issues that need to be dealt with. You're right that it doesn't just come down to religion, but you can't pretend that it isn't an issue. For example, overcoming gender inequality in that part of the world is going to be a necessary part of modernization and reducing violence, and that is necessarily going to involve confronting religious beliefs with western secular values.

There's no need to derail the thread with a debate about atheism. I don't think he literally meant bombing them with Cosmos DVDs and Richard Dawkins books. :)

The middle east would like to talk to you about algebra, astronomy, and lots of other things...p

Astronomy goes back as far as Creation. The planets, moon, stars, etc. were put in place for signs and to keep track of seasons, etc.

Take a modern astronomy program and go back to specific times and you can see how prophecy from a long time before that lines up perfectly with what was happening in the sky when it came to pass.

Algebra I would say goes back just about as far.

They had (middle eastern and Asian peoples) a lot of advanced things comparatively speaking, a lot sooner than Europe and definitely the Americas.

Obviously. Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

Says who? Are you the atheist pope? :p

Like I said in my response to Ducman69's post its a complicated problem with a tangled mess of social and economic issues that need to be dealt with. You're right that it doesn't just come down to religion, but you can't pretend that it isn't an issue. For example, overcoming gender inequality in that part of the world is going to be a necessary part of modernization and reducing violence, and that is necessarily going to involve confronting religious beliefs with western secular values.

There's no need to derail the thread with a debate about atheism. I don't think he literally meant bombing them with Cosmos DVDs and Richard Dawkins books. :)

When you bring that up.. we could just as easily bomb then with all the old AOL CDs and floppy disks. They would have a grand old time digging themselves out of that crap.. heh. :D

Astronomy goes back as far as Creation. The planets, moon, stars, etc. were put in place for signs and to keep track of seasons, etc.

Take a modern astronomy program and go back to specific times and you can see how prophecy from a long time before that lines up perfectly with what was happening in the sky when it came to pass.

Algebra I would say goes back just about as far.

They had (middle eastern and Asian peoples) a lot of advanced things comparatively speaking, a lot sooner than Europe and definitely the Americas.

:confused: Um, I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but astronomy is a study of how nature works on the larger scale. We do not dictate how nature works, we merely observe and try to understand the working of nature. And astronomy is independent of any religious text. We do not cite religious text as an explanation to how the cosmos works.

There are many areas in astronomy that doesn't contradicts religious text, so of course many past contributors are religious people. But their contributions doesn't come from their understanding of their religion, it comes from them doing scientific work that are independent of their religious beliefs, and of course as far as it doesn't contradicts their religion's teaching.

The problem is when their scientific work comes to the point where it contradicts their religious beliefs, then many may chose to stop there.

Religion or the absence of religion is not their problem ... it is their thinking that is damaged ... "A darkness in the heart cannot be cured by moving from one place to another." ... turning them into atheists would create a bunch of Stalins and Lenins (not exactly conducive to peace in the region) ... if anything we should try to turn them in Taoists ... Taoism is still based on principles of Atheism (like Buddhism) but has a strong philosophy of cooperation with nature and an absence of conflict ... that is what they need :cool:

"LOL, what? He has nothing to do with Iraq shutting down social media sites. "

Where the hell have you been for the last 5 years, where he (Obaama) has emasculated our military position there...remember?? One thing leads to another and, as was predicted, our complete pullout, allowed militants to take a stronghold in that area..on another note however, I can agree that we didn't train the Iraqi security forces worth a shit and should have hit Iran instead of Iraq...Middle East problem solved...

"LOL, what? He has nothing to do with Iraq shutting down social media sites. "

Where the hell have you been for the last 5 years, where he (Obaama) has emasculated our military position there...remember?? One thing leads to another and, as was predicted, our complete pullout, allowed militants to take a stronghold in that area..on another note however, I can agree that we didn't train the Iraqi security forces worth a shit and should have hit Iran instead of Iraq...Middle East problem solved...

As predicted? LMAO. Let me fix your revisionist history with the words of Prophet Krauthammer:

Funny in 2009, this is what Charlie Krauthammer had to say:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/15/AR2009011503149.html

And now in 2014:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._iraq_in_a_way_that_liquidated_our_gains.html

It would seem that the only people talking about the pending doom of leaving Iraq as Bush planned...were those who were not elected (self-styled) "conservative" politicians/hacks.

As someone who's been there and was part of training their security forces, everything that's happening there now is...heartbreaking. I spent years of my life dedicated to getting the people in that country trained to be able to protect themselves and the newfound freedom we were presenting them and they just turn tale and run at the first site of trouble. Regardless of the reasons for the invasion or the real motive in us being there, that was a big part of my job and to watch it crumble so easily sucks.

Religion, in my opinion, is the problem. For some reason, Islam lends itself towards radical extremism more than our other major religions. Add to the fact that, you CANT get away from religion in that country. Imagine for a moment, from the moment of birth, five times a day, a message is broadcast over your entire city of a prayer or message from the imam (religious leader). During this time, EVERYTHING around you stops, all the people face....west (I think it was)....and start prostrating. Society there is as saturated in religion as we are in our freedom. Now, take this society that's deeply integrated religion into their way of life and divide its religion into two sects that violently oppose each other's views of how things went down in it's history and watch everything go insane.

Democracy, at least in the model that's been implemented in Iraq, will never work. Having a supreme leader or a multi-branch government where only one person holds power for that particular branch will always create these kinds of tensions. It's Al-Maliki's fault this is happening because he made political moves targeting Sunnis....or Shias....whichever sect of the religion he isn't, he targeted. If democracy is ever going to work, it has to always be exactly balanced between Shia and Sunni, no majority of religion can exist....at least not at first. Maybe 20-30 years down the road after the basic concepts of democracy are able to filter down and the country is stable.

My personal opinion though is that the world has spent enough time and energy trying to bring the cradle of civilization out of the stone age.

My personal opinion though is that the world has spent enough time and energy trying to bring the cradle of civilization out of the stone age.

I thank you for your service. I think your assessment is correct. You know much more about it than I never having been there or serving in the military, but I do believe that we stood up this government and gave it the necessary tools to government and to protect itself from these kinds of attacks and it looks like the will from Iraqis simply isn't there to what they need to do.

Short of a permanent occupation, I don't think there's anything that we can do change things significantly in the near future. We have to contain the situation as best we can but I don't see sending in our forces on the ground again is a good idea and I imagine that the opposition to it would be overwhelming at this point.

Algebra and a lot of other things were learned from Greek and Roman culture, by a no longer existing ancient middle east culture that got them just before they collapsed in the 500's. Lucky for us, they were preserved. Astronomy, is the exception, but when you have a crystal clear sky almost every night, it a tad easier.

Back