Devil's Canyon: Intel Core i7-4790K

HardOCP News

[H] News
HotHardware has taken the Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon around the block a few times to see what it is made of. For comparison purposes, you should read our Devil's Canyon: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly article if you haven't done so already.

The Core i7-4790K’s overclockability is also very good, though it’s wasn’t quite the monster initial rumors had suggested. Don’t get us wrong—our sample clocked 10% higher than the Core i7-4770K we tested last year and was stable at 4.8GHz with air-cooling, but “5GHz on air” as was suggested before the launch wasn’t possible with our sample.

Weird they have spread spectrum on and their Vcore is very low so C-states are kicking in even though they are on manual voltage mode. Everybody's doin it now. So much for an "exploit" eh Raja?

Geez. The only single mention of temps was "mid-80°C" at load, overclocked (not stating which particular OC for that temp), and using a "large Cooler Master air-cooler". No mention of stock temps at all, or power consumption stock or OC.

Why bother doing a 9-page review with a dozen different benchmarks using 5 separate systems, and then leave out shit like that?

Id like to see "in the wild" chips before we start going crazy with benchmarks on engineering samples. The problem with my solution is the quality will probably be less :/

Yeah I canceled my preorder until I can see some reviews of retail chips.

Back