Kinect 2 Coming to PC, Pre-Order Now for $199

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have been waiting on the Kinect 2 for your PC, your wait is just about over. Microsoft has begun accepting pre-orders for the Kinect 2 PC version from the Microsoft Store.

Since the announcement of the Xbox One, many people have been eagerly awaiting the launch of the PC version of the Kinect 2 that launched with the console.

Anybody else think that MS is just re-boxing a bunch of Kinects that were to be for XBones, but since announcing the Kinectless XBone, they are re-purposing them for use on PC? It'll likely come with an adapter so it could be used with standard USB 3.0.

Wow that is lazy. First the Titanfall edition(where they just open the box and slip a code) and now this??

It was always a gimmick feature on the XBox, you have to admire their commitment to it.

I don't understand. What would I get out of this on a PC?

The kinect seems optimized to function for a ten foot interface,

I look forward to seeing how it will be used in a desktop setting.

Also, poor leap.

What from I read, Kinect doesn't work worth a shit in xbox 1. Now they want to sell a flawed product to PC users?

I for one would love to see Windows Media Center integration somehow, be it made by MS or a 3rd party. I could navigate menus, give voice commands, change tv channels, all from the comfort of my couch and using my home theater PC. My HTPC already DVR's live TV for me, plays dvd's and blu-rays, netflix, hulu, plays emulators and current games with an Xbox controller, everything an Xbox or Playstation can do, but better. Then of course there are things it can do that a playstation or xbox can't do, like record and DVR time-shifting live TV, play movies I have with weird compression codecs, or transcode a dvd/blu-ray into a different format for storage.

What from I read, Kinect doesn't work worth a shit in xbox 1. Now they want to sell a flawed product to PC users?
The product is anything but flawed on PC, in fact allowing to be used on PC allowed infinite more possibilities than what can be done on xbox. The first kinect was also released for PC with official drivers several months after the xbox version. Initially, people only took the xbox version and hooked it up through USB and developed their own drivers. I would say the things people came out with on it were much more interesting than what was ever done on the xbox.

Here's a few examples:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/217283/15_radical_kinect_hacks.html
http://www.cnet.com/news/coolest-kinect-hacks-our-favourite-motion-sensor-experiments/
http://openkinect.org/wiki/Gallery
http://blog.nelga.com/xbox-kinect-hacking-inspiration-art-advertising-hacks-experiments/
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/...ign-experiments-with-leap-motion-kinect-more/
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/...suals-in-kinect-experiment-plus-a-new-kinect/

xbox-one-kinect-meme.jpg

I for one would love to see Windows Media Center integration somehow, be it made by MS or a 3rd party. I could navigate menus, give voice commands, change tv channels, all from the comfort of my couch and using my home theater PC.
No sooner had I typed this and I found the software for sale...
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/15/kinect-for-media-center/
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/312274-and-it-begins-kinect-for-windows-media-center/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFr5oyamxP4

Anybody else think that MS is just re-boxing a bunch of Kinects that were to be for XBones, but since announcing the Kinectless XBone, they are re-purposing them for use on PC? It'll likely come with an adapter so it could be used with standard USB 3.0.

No. They aren't "re-boxing" them. That implies they are taking already sealed xboxes, removing the kinects, then placing each one in their own separate boxes They have factory line producing the kinects, and now they just change how they allocate them be they for Xbox or for PC then package them accordingly.

In the original Kinect, the PC version was different from the Xbox 360 version. The firmware identified it as an Xbox Kinect or a PC Kinect. This opened up a few more features on the kinect itself for better accuracy since a PC is so much more powerful. This also had the side effect of locking down the official MS SDK software to the PC Kinect. The other difference was the power delivery to the device and how the USB connectors were created (specifically power delivery and length of cord). In my opinion these differences were stupid and trivial changes meant to force PC users to pay the $50-100 premium for PC version to help fund software development. I have zero doubt MS will do the exact same thing with the Kinect 2.

nice -- so now I too can flap and jump and yell at my computer to get it to NOT do what I want?

It was crap on the console, it will be crap on the PC.

Maybe someday they will realize this whole motion fad is stupid... when I sit down at a PC... its probably because I want to get something done, not try to mask a half assed workout into my job that also happens to slow down my speed and efficiency

So now that the console market has rejected Kinect and Microsoft has abandoned it on Xbone and theyre piling up in the warehouse, they're trying to come crawling back to PC.

Sorry Microsoft, PC gamers don't want your sloppy seconds. The time to show PC gaming you cared was 7 months ago when the xbone launched with it, not now that you've killed the product and ensured no developer wants any part of it because it's tainted and the motion control fad is dead and buried.

Could be cool on a HTPC. Can use the mic (supposed to be very sensitive) for audio commands and gestures and what not.

Supposed to take really good 3D images too right? Combine that with a 3D printer maybe? Could be cool.

Needs game support though.

The kinect seems optimized to function for a ten foot interface,

I look forward to seeing how it will be used in a desktop setting.

Yeah, I am really confused as to why I would want this.

>$200 dollars

FUCK

YOU

Oh my fucking god, if this is the fucking case, why is shipping the Xbone WITHOUT the kinect only chop $100 off the price tag?

This shit is getting fucking stupid

Due to the amazing versatility of the pc, there was quite a few unique usage of the original Kinect pc. One of them being used to map glaciers. Who knows what will come with the new version.

3D scanning, realities facial and body motion capture, this sort of thing ha endless potential to a 3D artist.

You guys saying Kinect has ALWAYS been crap, have you ever actually used it? Have you used the motion systems that other consoles have?

The Kinect can do some very amazing motion tracking when utilized properly. The current games that use it do suck, but there were some very good games on Xbox 360.

The vision system is leap and bounds better then the "wand" systems used by Nintendo and Sony. If you don't like that type of system that is fine, but you should acknowledge it's ability as a piece of technology.

On the Xbox 1 they use it log in to your account. And that thing can get me even when there is barely any light in the room. Or I can be laying down on the couch. The technology is solid, the implementation from the developers is lagging.

I hate it too.

slow, expensive, ugly, it smells, always crashes, bad for the environment, uses too much power, useless, ...

Wait, what are we hating today?

Already pre ordered, the first one was great but the camera was too low resolution.

You guys saying Kinect has ALWAYS been crap, have you ever actually used it? Have you used the motion systems that other consoles have?

The Kinect can do some very amazing motion tracking when utilized properly. The current games that use it do suck, but there were some very good games on Xbox 360.

The vision system is leap and bounds better then the "wand" systems used by Nintendo and Sony. If you don't like that type of system that is fine, but you should acknowledge it's ability as a piece of technology.

On the Xbox 1 they use it log in to your account. And that thing can get me even when there is barely any light in the room. Or I can be laying down on the couch. The technology is solid, the implementation from the developers is lagging.

It sounds like you didn't get the memo that the motion control fad is over, because none of that stuff matters now.

I think it's safe to assume that absolutely nobody has ever wanted a PC Kinect. Most of the Xbox owners don't even want theirs.

Yes. I tried the original at my cousin's house. A third of the time it didn't detect my movements at all, a third of the time it detected my movements incorrectly and the other third of the time it detected my movements 5 seconds after said movements needed to happen. 100% of the time is was a clumsy and extremely imprecise method of control.

I also tried the Wiimote at my cousin's and it's only marginally less terrible. The only thing it seems to be useful for is light gun games, but an actual light gun would be immensely preferable for obvious reasons.

Yes. I tried the original at my cousin's house. A third of the time it didn't detect my movements at all, a third of the time it detected my movements incorrectly and the other third of the time it detected my movements 5 seconds after said movements needed to happen. 100% of the time is was a clumsy and extremely imprecise method of control.

I also tried the Wiimote at my cousin's and it's only marginally less terrible. The only thing it seems to be useful for is light gun games, but an actual light gun would be immensely preferable for obvious reasons.

I assume that means you did not take the time to calibrate then. :rolleyes: Are you ones of those guys who believe we should only be using the mouse and keyboard in 2114? (No, not a typo.) The Kinect is steadily being improved on the One and I am sure will have a lot more uses on the PC. (Don't want it, don't buy it, personal problem solved.)

Releasing Kinect for the PC makes WAY more sense than their gaming platforms. There are hundreds of possibilities there, unlike with gaming where you can only have dance/workout games.

I guess Microsoft's comment about committing to PC gaming again is true.

"PC order Pizza"

Back