Hospital Posts Patient’s STD Diagnosis To Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a post you never want to see on your Facebook page. In other news, there is a Facebook group called "Team No Hoes." You learn something every day.

“She was absolutely devastated. That is the most private of private medical information that was posted on Facebook and went out to a group on Facebook that had a huge dissemination,” the woman’s attorney says. “For an employee of the University of Cincinnati Medical Center to post that information on a social media device that millions of people have access to, it’s above and beyond the law and that’s why we feel that they’re responsible.”

If this is true, they absolutely should have their asses sued. Particularly with HIPAA; she's only asking for $25,000, should be asking for a hell of a lot more.

It's against her rights but if she's sleeping around then you're probably saving peoples lives.

I'm not up to date on Jokebook, but wouldn't her friends have to be a part of that group to see what was posted about her?

It's against her rights but if she's sleeping around then you're probably saving peoples lives.

Why the automatic assumption that she's the one sleeping around? We already know her ex-boyfriend is incredibly nasty:

"According to the lawsuit, the woman’s ex-boyfriend allegedly talked two UC employees into releasing the records, a violation of state and federal laws."

Umm I just read the article and it sounds like the chick's boyfriend somehow convinced the hospital workers to let him look at her records, he took a picture and posted it online.

Did I read it wrong because that's so different than what the headline says.

So...the hospital didn't post shit. They only allegedly illegally shared her private medical info with her ex.

Question: Do hospitals require proof of spousalship when a husband says he is his wife's husband? For example, could the ex have lied and said he was her husband, and could the hospital policy not have been compromised yet still provide him with her medical info/records? I mean, I don't walk around with my marriage license in my wallet to prove my marriage.

her friends have never been her friends if they are laughing at her.

This is society at its worst

So...the hospital didn't post shit. They only allegedly illegally shared her private medical info with her ex.

Question: Do hospitals require proof of spousalship when a husband says he is his wife's husband? For example, could the ex have lied and said he was her husband, and could the hospital policy not have been compromised yet still provide him with her medical info/records? I mean, I don't walk around with my marriage license in my wallet to prove my marriage.
you don't have a right to look at your spouse's medical records, either

Read the article again. You missed this part:

"alleging that an employee posted her medical records on Facebook,"

So the ex-boyfriend talked two employees at the medical center into posting sensitive medical information on a Facebook group titled "Team No Hoes".

"Yeah, I'm her husband, I want you to post her STD results on Team No Hoes." "Oh, well, if you're her husband, I'm sure that's all right then!"

Come on. Really?

Read the article again. You missed this part:

"alleging that an employee posted her medical records on Facebook,"

So the ex-boyfriend talked two employees at the medical center into posting sensitive medical information on a Facebook group titled "Team No Hoes".

"Yeah, I'm her husband, I want you to post her STD results on Team No Hoes." "Oh, well, if you're her husband, I'm sure that's all right then!"

Come on. Really?
I read the article, but someone above posted something about how the boyfriend posted the info. Calm down, it's just a misunderstanding...

Umm I just read the article and it sounds like the chick's boyfriend somehow convinced the hospital workers to let him look at her records, he took a picture and posted it online.

Did I read it wrong because that's so different than what the headline says.

But why would he do that? I mean if he's the ex then he's got the same STD's as her. Considering he went through the trouble to do all that, then it's probable to say that he caught something from her that he didn't want.

But why would he do that? I mean if he's the ex then he's got the same STD's as her. Considering he went through the trouble to do all that, then it's probable to say that he caught something from her that he didn't want.

Or the other way around, and wanted to blame her.

She should add a couple zeroes on to the end of that $25k

If you have a signed HCP with permission given to spouse, such as I do, you certainly do have a right to be given medical information.

She's only suing for $25k? Assuming the above is true, hospital should just settle out of court, make her sign paperwork to say she's not going to resue, and give her a big sack with all the money in plus a few thousand extra to make it happen quickly before a lawyer actually gets their talons into her. Then deal internally with whomever posted it, firing everyone evolved and let the DA deal with any criminal charges against those individuals.

That said, props to the news for not actually showing her name on the news ... otherwise there's another lawsuit :D

If you have a signed HCP with permission given to spouse, such as I do, you certainly do have a right to be given medical information.
you have consent from your spouse. that's not a right to someone's protected health information. your spouse can withdraw consent at any time.

It's every bit as likely that he did this because she dumped him for giving her an STD. Remember, the ex-boyfriend ranks an 11 on the manipulative sociopath scale. His manipulative charm seems to be working very well on you because you've bought into his assertion that she's a dirty hoe and you are now defending his actions with justifications.

She should add a couple zeroes on to the end of that $25k

I'll probably get flamed for this but...these don't sound like folks any where near affluent. Chances are $25k sounds like a lot to them.

Under normal circumstances this should be lottery grade slam dunk + people get fired material. Hospital staff facilitate humiliating records release to social media? I would employ the most litigious , relentless, savage shark I could find. I'd make it so bad it'd be burned into the organizational mythology of the hospital for all time and be the subject of new employee orientation slide decks. The staff that didn't get fired would be legends.

"Hey, that's Bob! Did you know he survived the great idiot staff purge of 2014?" "

Really?!?! No way!"

"Dude. Totally. If he even sees you looking at Facebook hill just cold cock your ass. Keep your phone in your pocket."

Not that I'm saying this is the case, but it could be from needles... say an unclean hospital that would reveal STD diagnoses... or drugs.

Or a toilet seat. :D

Seriously though, the fact the med center staffers would post her details on "Team No Hoes" pretty much says it all.

That is not the original statement. One does not normally have a basic right to a spouses private medical records. The spouse can choose to change that but...

I'll probably get flamed for this but...these don't sound like folks any where near affluent. Chances are $25k sounds like a lot to them.

Under normal circumstances this should be lottery grade slam dunk + people get fired material. Hospital staff facilitate humiliating records release to social media? I would employ the most litigious , relentless, savage shark I could find. I'd make it so bad it'd be burned into the organizational mythology of the hospital for all time and be the subject of new employee orientation slide decks. The staff that didn't get fired would be legends.

"Hey, that's Bob! Did you know he survived the great idiot staff purge of 2014?" "

Really?!?! No way!"

"Dude. Totally. If he even sees you looking at Facebook hill just cold cock your ass. Keep your phone in your pocket."
And if the problem is just the actions of a single employee?

This is why healthcare is so massively expensive in the US. Where does the money come from? From the nurse that is fired? Nope. From the doctors anual salary? Nope. It comes from the contributions of everyone paying for healthcare as a cost of business that simply gets passed on to all of us.

So next time you bitch that a mere ambulance ride will cost you $1200, you may want to stop applauding every time a multi-million dollar payout is given someone for a minor mistake.

a distinct HIPAA violation. The facility could lose its accreditation over this.

If this is true, they absolutely should have their asses sued. Particularly with HIPAA; she's only asking for $25,000, should be asking for a hell of a lot more.

The HIPPA fine goes to the government and is somewhere around $15,000.00-$25,000.00 per incidence of information illegally revealed, and it's a strict liability thing, so the hospital is on the hook for that where there were mitigating circumstances or not.

If it were me, I'd be asking a whole lot more, but you've got to be able to prove actual damages in that amount before you'd get awarded them. She may be asking an additional amount in punitive damages, if that is allowed in her state.

This is true. My wife and I had to sign releases with our doctors specifically allowing them to tell each other our test results. That was a few years ago. Now, our doctors won't even do that for fear of violating the law.

And if the problem is just the actions of a single employee?

This is why healthcare is so massively expensive in the US. Where does the money come from? From the nurse that is fired? Nope. From the doctors anual salary? Nope. It comes from the contributions of everyone paying for healthcare as a cost of business that simply gets passed on to all of us.

So next time you bitch that a mere ambulance ride will cost you $1200, you may want to stop applauding every time a multi-million dollar payout is given someone for a minor mistake.

While I agree, that there are many lawsuits that drive up the cost, and the fact that some of those lawsuits were probably nonsense. I surely hope you dont think this is a minor mistake. Release of anyones medical records is an extremely serious violation and those involved should be criminally and civilly prosecuted. This was just blatant stupidity.

While I agree, that there are many lawsuits that drive up the cost, and the fact that some of those lawsuits were probably nonsense. I surely hope you dont think this is a minor mistake. Release of anyones medical records is an extremely serious violation and those involved should be criminally and civilly prosecuted. This was just blatant stupidity.
This one also wasn't for millions, I was speaking in generalities. And I agree that there should be criminal and civil prosecution of those involved, and getting fired for example I believe is more than enough motiviation. Americans have been conditioned though that if "insert large business" makes a mistake, you basically just won the lottery.

Corrective action shouldn't mean a jackpot sound with gold coins spilling on you and confetti spilling from the ceiling, because all you end up doing is taking money away from people that are blameless, while the parties that are to blame are usually protected and feel often none of the financial impact of the litigation.

For example, recently here in Houston there was a huge error on a police officers part and the victim got some huge lump sum awarded (forget the amount) which just comes out of my wallet basically, while the police officer protected by the union not only still has his job but just had to attend training and got two weeks of PAID absense. You know what I call that? A paid vacation. I'd screw up all the time at work if I got vacation out of it!

I'd sue for everything the hospital has... the most vital medical industry rule, waterboarded with gasoline and lit on fire by a university hospital nonetheless.

Correct. My wife doesn't have access to my records unless I authorize it. Likewise if you're an adult who's still on his parents' insurance plan. They will not talk to the parents - only to you.

Simply put, no matter how it got online - the hospital had no right to release this lady's medical information to the ex-boyfriend. He most likely did not have authorization. And seriously - just because she has syphilis doesn't mean she got it from sleeping around. For all we know HE gave it to HER.

Agree with the others saying that it's surprising she isn't suing for more. Perhaps the consumerist missed a couple of zeros? :)

Back