The Secret To Getting A Lower Cable Bill

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some of the info in this article is pretty damn handy. Like most of you, I thought the ol' time honored "ask for a supervisor" was a good tactic. Apparently not.

Don't ask to talk to a manager. "Demanding to speak with a manager won't do you any favors," my Oregon source tells me. "If anything, a manager will be more curt than an associate. Why? They don't have to worry about the metrics, for one thing, and you're interrupting the work they're supposed to be doing."

A funny story (I've told before) about my cable company / ISP

In January, I was paying $67 a month for 25Mbps - 5Mbps service. In February, Cox doubled that to 50Mbps - 5Mbps for FREE.

Then I found out my ISP offers 150Mbps speeds for $79.99 (for six months) to new customers. For existing customers, it is $110 per month. So I call the company and tell the customer service rep that doesn't seem right...what about loyal customers?

She says "you're right, hang on" puts me on hold. Two minutes later she comes back and says how about $5 more a month ($72 total) and she'll give me the same 150Mbps speed that is regularly $110. I said "Great! What do I do?" She says "Nothing, it's already done."

having worked for bell in canada, i somewhat agree with this article. the idea of not asking for a manager or supervisor depends on their setup. if a customer asked for a supervisor with bell, they had a department of 'supervisors' that are there only to receive the requests from customers. you would never get to speak to the actual manager.

with those ones, they were pretty much the same as any other agent - except they had a bit more authority to change things and took a lot more abuse.

pays to know your company.

I worked in a call center once. The "supervisor" was usually the person sitting next to you and not an actual manager. By the way, it sucks because people judge your effectiveness to help them based on your voice alone _and_ treat you like total crap because you're just a voice and not an actual person. Soooo glad not to have to do that now.

It worked for me!

I got the statement from Charter saying that my price was going from $34.99 a month to $52.99 a month, since my contract was expiring.

I called and told them that I would not be doing $52.99. The lady I spoke to try to smooth things over by telling me that my speed would increase. I'm like cool....but I still ain't paying that much every month. Said she couldn't help me out. So I say, thanks for the help, now please transfer me to the cancellation department.

The guy in the cancellation department picks up the phone and immediately offers to double my speed (from 15Mbps to 30Mbps) for $39.99 a month.

I worked in a call center once. The "supervisor" was usually the person sitting next to you and not an actual manager. By the way, it sucks because people judge your effectiveness to help them based on your voice alone _and_ treat you like total crap because you're just a voice and not an actual person. Soooo glad not to have to do that now.

soooo true. luckily I have a smooth, strong sexy voice but I've know people who had a lot of problems in support because they didnt 'sound' smart enough or speak with enough authority/confidence. pretty frustrating for them when a customer second guesses every thing they say or contradicts them every chance they get, then screams when the results dont pan out.

Why do we have to negotiate with cable companies? When will we have more choices?

You want to really lower your cable bill? Just get rid of cable :)

Asking for a supervisor has almost always worked for me. But I don't usually go that route unless the customer service agent has seriously screwed something up. That being said, it seems customer service reps have really gone downhill lately. It is sad to see that state of affairs especially for those that actually work hard and try to do a good job in that industry.

How to get a lower cable bill?

Move to a city that has Google Fiber.

Look at it like this. Would you move for a $2,000 a year raise? I know people that would, especially if that area was better / cheaper.

We pay $120 a month for a MASSIVE amount of channels, all HD, gigabit internet and guess what, Google gives you a Nexus 7 2nd Generation for free and all the hardware is yours, for free. That's right, the hardware is yours, you don't rent it. It's just yours, zero cost.

That's how you lower your cable bill or, just axe it altogether

Not sure this would work for me. It's literally either Comcast or dial-up where I live. I can't even get DSL and I know Comcast knows this. The pricing for their services after the promotional period has a range and they always apply the highest one.

I was getting 50Mbps at $60 / month but then they upped then they got rid of 50Mbps and upped it to 105 while also increasing the price ($76 / month). I don't really use that much so I called asking to be reduced to the $53 / month 25Mbps tier advertised on their site but, nope, that $53 is for customers that bundle with another service. It's actually $66 / month for those that don't bundle if you read the small, fine print. :confused:.

In the end I just asked for the 6Mbps tier for $40 / month. Can still get HD netflix so me and the future-missus are happy. If one of us is watching netflix downloads can be slow but that's just me being lazy and not setting up QoS. And I'm giving comcast less money so that's a plus. :p

Usually (I find), if you're polite to the CSR then they will hook you up. I got my COX Ultimate (150Mbps) for $79.99 that way. I think it's like $149.99.

You can sometimes steer them by using the time old "Since I've been such a valued customer for so long, is there anything you can do for me deal wise?". :D

That's what I did several years ago. I don't really watch TV anymore so I figured why keep subsidizing channels I didn't watch. When I cancelled they tried to push me into a bundle which included phone/internet/TV for one low monthly price that was about $60/month higher than I was already paying. I told them "No thanks" and asked to proceed with cancelling my service.
I don't miss any of the current TV shows. I record old TV shows like the Jack Benny show, the George Burns and Gracie Allen show, Alfred Hitchcock, Dragnet, Mr. Ed, etc using my rooftop antenna (yes I live in the boonies) on my HTPC. The thing is, I get a better HD picture with the antenna than I ever did with the cable company.

This was the best way I found to lower my "cable" bill -- paying $$$ for one, maybe two shows we would watch in a given week? Stupid when you think about it. Yes, my ISP is Comcast, which is cable, but I've always views "cable" as Television channels, not Innarwebs.

We switched to Business class internet and haven't looked back. They rolled out some better plans recently, so I called them, and they "grandfathered" us in at the better speeds for the same rate we were paying. Been a customer for over a decade, so they took care of me.

I think this October is going to be the cord-cutting month for me. Right now I pay $120 for Uverse 18mbps, 300 channels +~40 HD channels and two boxes.

After getting a chromecast, and recently hooking up with Netflix and Hulu+, I'm having a hard time coming up with reasons to stay. Pplus, I won't have to deal with all the wedding shows, gypsy shows and gypsy wedding shows my wife watches CONSTANTLY. That said, I'll have to give up Velocity and ESPN.
The alternative is looking into a basic cable package + internet.

I came across this article after my "introductory" period with Comcast was over.

I can attest that this doesn't work with Comcast.

I tested multiple approaches, varying from nice to downright "let me talk to your manager" and none of them work. Threatening to cut off your line doesn't work either because the service reps are trained to know there's no other option other than maybe ATT U-Verse which is a joke in my area.

I came across this article after my "introductory" period with Comcast was over.

I can attest that this doesn't work with Comcast.

I tested multiple approaches, varying from nice to downright "let me talk to your manager" and none of them work. Threatening to cut off your line doesn't work either because the service reps are trained to know there's no other option other than maybe ATT U-Verse which is a joke in my area.

ditto when I changed to FIOS. it was like the rep didnt believe me and was calling my bluff. maybe because they had called it successfully once before after I made an ass out of myself following articles like this.

The best way to lower the cable bill is to have competition. Where I live Cable and Verizon fight each other like crazy, and they actually send people to my home to convince me to switch, while constantly giving me free stuff.

Verizon sent over a guy to try to get me to switch back and I pointed out that they slow down Netflix on purpose. The fucking wanker then told me that Verizon has an even better service, like it matters. Go back to ruin net neutrality you cock monkeys.

I need to call up Comcast..my bill is getting ridiculous.

Problem is, there is no competition and I need the connection for work. I guess they don't have to know that, though...

Why do we have to negotiate with cable companies? When will we have more choices?
When the government scales back interaction with companies to policing a few key areas like anti-trust and anti-competitive practices and otherwise keeps an arms length from the company. Instead of micromanage how a company operates with regulations and forming an incestuous relationship in the process.

This also works on other things as well!
Any one using Vonage????

About a year ago I called Vonage to cancel my near $40 per month Voip. Was on the phone for almost a half hour dealing with 3 different customer service reps. In the end I was offered a lifetime price of $9.99!

LOL, so if your using Vonage, call and start canceling your service. Chances are, now, that you will be offered the introductory $14.99 price for life. :p

Same thing happened to me with vonage. Called to cancel, was offered 9.99 for life. Difference though is I told them to stick it anyway and cancelled. :)

For the record, reducing your services is just as bad as canceling. No need for a poker face, just seriously reduce your services. I went from $183 a month to $59 a month for basic cable and internet. When they tried to make me pay $3 more a month rental fee for a digital cable box, I cut the tv altogether and reduced the internet speed even further to the slowest tier. I'm now at $34 a month, and I get more fantastic upgrade offers than I can shake a stick at. You just need to not bluff, show them you're serious by actually canceling service, tell them price is a driver, and you'll get what you want as long as you're willing to go without something for a month or so.

I need to call up Comcast..my bill is getting ridiculous.

Problem is, there is no competition and I need the connection for work. I guess they don't have to know that, though...

They probably already know that, they paid off the cities to get it.

"Hello, Comcast? I don't like how you guys jacked my internet rate, I want to cancel."

"njoy ur 768kbps DSL, lololol :D"

I got my $140/mo TWC bill down to about $115 by calling and asking if they would be willing to lower my bill because I felt it was too expensive.

Just being nice and reasoning with them seems to work alright for me.

A funny story (I've told before) about my cable company / ISP[/COLOR][/I]
Moral of the story: Ladies with Cox really know how to service their customers if you tell them what you want.

I got my $140/mo TWC bill down to about $115 by calling and asking if they would be willing to lower my bill because I felt it was too expensive.

Just being nice and reasoning with them seems to work alright for me.

Meh, not much of a deal IMO. Nice or not is irrelevant - they're screwing you still. You're paying over one hundred dollars a month, like $1300 per year - for what exactly?

Basic internet for $40ish a month, leaves you roughly $900 a year to spend on season passes and netflix/prime. Probably have enough left over to buy a nice OTA antenna. That's a lot of TV you can buy for that $900.

TWC just threw you a cookie to make you happy, then they all high-fived each other as soon as you hung up. :D

soooo true. luckily I have a smooth, strong sexy voice but I've know people who had a lot of problems in support because they didnt 'sound' smart enough or speak with enough authority/confidence. pretty frustrating for them when a customer second guesses every thing they say or contradicts them every chance they get, then screams when the results dont pan out.

Yeah, I had no luck at all with that. Even sounding confidant is still squeaky and annoying...bleah. I needed one of those as seen on TV voice changer phone thingies so I could have sounded all buff and awesome, or at least like an angry law enforcement robot.

Having worked for Com... I can tell you that you want to call to disconnect your service if you want a better rate. Call up and choose the IVR option to disconnect your service. This will usually get you a "save" rep whose job it is to keep you as a customer. Tell them the service is too expensive and you are going to be switching to another company, and say the name of that company. Ask some questions about disconnecting the service that pertain to billing or something to show you're serious. This should get the rep to offer you a promo rate that is reserved for "new" customers only.

How to get a lower cable bill?

Move to a city that has Google Fiber.

Look at it like this. Would you move for a $2,000 a year raise? I know people that would, especially if that area was better / cheaper.

We pay $120 a month for a MASSIVE amount of channels, all HD, gigabit internet and guess what, Google gives you a Nexus 7 2nd Generation for free and all the hardware is yours, for free. That's right, the hardware is yours, you don't rent it. It's just yours, zero cost.

That's how you lower your cable bill or, just axe it altogether

Yep. Google Fiber will be opening sign-ups for Johnson County (KC area) soon, and I'll be jumping on that. Cannot wait to ditch Time Warner.

The only thing bad about Google Fiber is the 100% lack of privacy. Every data packet is basically gonna get ripped open and mined for delicious money which is going to get combined with your Android phone's activity and location and your existing Gmail account and Youtube watching habits. Yuck that's so pervy peeping Tom of them. I think they're the worst company to hand basically all of your online stuff to and letting them expand beyond their current limits is going to seriously hurt consumers in the long run.

Been having someone from North Carolina call me a lot lately (I live in WA) so I finally picked up. It was a comcast rep looking to do a "survey" on comcast services. Was nothing more then a ploy to get me to buy cable tv. I am happy with my internet and went ahead and explained why the internet is so awesome (and yes, weird) especially when compared to the internet. Even mentioned Century Link for good measure. The thing that really chafes my ass is I complained about comcasts current plan of not planning any upgrades for my area. He went ahead and told me New York recently recieved a free boost in speed. He also basically told me WA was shit out of luck. I wouldn't be so pissed off at them if it wasn't for all the advertisements they send me. Quit hounding me damnit I am already a subscriber!

I remember haggling with one of these "customer service" reps at Comcast. I explained to her that I was being offered a much better deal from Verizon and I wanted them to price match. She was a complete bitch about me asking for a discount/price match. She said to me "you must live in a nice large home, I see you have several computers and TV's in your home"....... "why do you need a discount". I was blown away buy her smirky ass attitude. I ripped her a new asshole and asked for the manager..... got my account back to the introductory price.

They sometimes jack up the price even within the 1 or 2 year special price. So check your bills! I had to have adjustments done 3 times during a 2 year period for random installation and additional fees never agreed on initial service.

The only thing bad about Google Fiber is the 100% lack of privacy. Every data packet is basically gonna get ripped open and mined for delicious money which is going to get combined with your Android phone's activity and location and your existing Gmail account and Youtube watching habits. Yuck that's so pervy peeping Tom of them. I think they're the worst company to hand basically all of your online stuff to and letting them expand beyond their current limits is going to seriously hurt consumers in the long run.

What you talking about Willis?

OpenVPN at your router to a OpenVPN server hosted on a VPS.

What you talking about Willis?

OpenVPN at your router to a OpenVPN server hosted on a VPS.

VPN encryption is extremely weak and modern IDS systems can easily read traffic. Also, very limited numbers of people will use something like that within the US. In other nations, it's pretty broadly used, but the encryption is pretty much broken.

The guy in the cancellation department picks up the phone and immediately offers to double my speed (from 15Mbps to 30Mbps) for $39.99 a month.

What's fucked up about that is they still make more money from you. They have more than enough downstream capacity, so it doesn't cost them anything to give you 30mb.

ATT and time warner compete in my area.

But they both are fixing their prices exactly the same. So I only have leverage against price hikes, but no other perks.

I have no issue switching back and forth between att and twc, as they can see from my history, so they'll know I'm not bluffing.

Doesn't always work. Even if you try multiple times and follow through on your threat to cancel. Comcast wouldn't give me my promo rate back so I said I would cancel and sign up with RCN since they also serviced my building. Signed up for RCN. Called Comcast back. Said I wanted to cancel. Transferred to retention. Said I wanted a lower rate. They said "No can do." I told them to cancel. "But then you'll be without service and I can't promise you'll have the same low rate you do now if you were to sign up with us again."

Firmly told them that in the 15 minutes before the current call and after my last one, I managed to sign up with RCN, get a lower rate, faster speeds AND provision my modem to use on their network.

Rep stopped short of saying "Bullshit", but I did hear part of the first syllable.

They kept trying to ply me with upgrades and I told them I had already switched and wanted to cancel.

"What would it take for us to keep you as a customer?"

Give me my old monthly rate back.

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

Told them to cancel. Repeated that until they actually did. Took about twenty minutes of continually interrupting them and reminding them to cancel my service.

So, no, you can't always say you want to cancel just to get your rate lowered again. Even if you actually intend to follow through on your threat.

Back