What Happens When Your House Gets Hacked?

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is actually a legitimate question considering how our country is moving towards smart homes.

These initiatives are all part of what is known as the Internet of Things. That is a catchall term used to describe connectivity — specifically, how people connect with products, and how products connect with each other. Sounds great. But I can’t shake the feeling that one day, maybe, just maybe, my entire apartment is going to get hacked.

Scary stuff, especially if integration goes so far as to where someone could kill by hacking enviromental controls or affecting the water supply.

What kind of people are so lazy that they can't, I dunno, walk to their thermostat and change it or reach for the switch thingey to turn on some lights that they have to Internet connect their house so they can do it without moving their big fat bottomside off the couch through their cell phone anyhow? Humans are dumb-stupid sometimes and people with Internet connected homes totally deserve to be eaten by their hacker-controlled "smart" blenders.

The smart grid was/is a big mistake. Home automation to along with it is even more so. It's going to happen.

What kind of people are so lazy that they can't, I dunno, walk to their thermostat and change it or reach for the switch thingey to turn on some lights that they have to Internet connect their house so they can do it without moving their big fat bottomside off the couch through their cell phone anyhow? Humans are dumb-stupid sometimes and people with Internet connected homes totally deserve to be eaten by their hacker-controlled "smart" blenders.

Oh I don't know, maybe people who value their time?
I realize I may be in the minority here, but have you ever stopped to think how much of your time you actually waste on crap like changing the thermostat?

I would much prefer for everything to be automated/customized how I want it to run, and then use my time doing productive things.

That's a bit dramatic... I have a "smart" thermostat and I can program it via phone. When on vacation/business I turn down the heat. On the way home I ramp it up over about 12 hours. It takes this long with steam heat from 50*F. Saves a ton of money.

I also know how to manually run the furnace if need be.

Reminds me of a commercial I heard on the radio of a voice controlled thermostat. The person was talking in a "non fluid" speech telling the thermostat to lower the temp by 3 degrees. It complies and says its been lowered to 68 degrees.

Would have been easier to just push the button or slider to 68 and be done with it.

I realize I may be in the minority here, but have you ever stopped to think how much of your time you actually waste on crap like changing the thermostat?

I would much prefer for everything to be automated/customized how I want it to run, and then use my time doing productive things.

Um, it takes like no time at all to change the thermostat. I think last winter I poked at mine like maybe four times. It's also easy to save money on equipment, internet connectivity (like not having to own a phone that can communicate with your internet connected dials and goo-gaws) and other stuff. I think factoring in the time it takes to turn a little dial thingey once every few months is really getting silly when looking for a reason to buy things and connect them to the internet when people spend most of their waking hours wasting time anyhow.

Um, it takes like no time at all to change the thermostat. I think last winter I poked at mine like maybe four times.

But you have to actually get up off your rear and walk over to the thermostat to change it....

People are going to end up like passangers on the ship in Wall-E.

I'd be more concerned about all the alarm systems/cameras that are connected to the internet. Can't wait until someone hacks one of the home alarm companies and then sells the information (like when people are not home, the alarm disable code, etc) to criminals.

I have to agree. I save so much more time now that I no longer have to do anything.

I have someone else take out the trash, mow my lawn, feed my dog, go to work for me, chew my food, clean my house, buy flowers for my wife, talk to my kids, drive for me, turn on the light when it gets dark in my house, fill up the gas tank, wipe my butt, comb my hair, put dishes in the dish washer...etc. Life is so much better now that I have more time for productive things in life.

I never thought I'd agree with something that you said, but... It just happened. :D

Furthermore, how critical is it that someone change their thermostat right at any given second, and not just wait until they get up anyway to go do something else? Next we'll need a scheduler for our phones that will coordinate when we change the thermostat on a trip to the bathroom or something.

I love automation, just for the fun of it, and going "Ooh, ahh, that's cool, look what I just did." but it is in no way necessary, and if someone did hack it... "Oh my god they flickered my lights on and off!!!"

Nobody is going to get killed by having the heat up or down between the time the change is made, and they notice it. Then change it manually. Or, in an extreme instance maybe walk outside, or hop in the car in an emergency, or any number of other solutions. Call the authorities, or the company that installed the device. I see it as being more of an annoyance than any real threat.

Who knows though, maybe we WILL have blenders on wheels that a remotely controlled that can raise their blades up out of the pitcher in order to come and give us abrasions, boo-boos, and owies! :eek:

But you have to actually get up off your rear and walk over to the thermostat to change it....
Hypothetical scenario:
Last night, it was spectacularly warm, so I cranked up the A/C. I get to work, and wonder to myself, "Did I leave it set to 68, or did I put it back to 75?" I pull out my phone and check. Oops, forgot to change it back. Let me just set it back to the regular program. Done.

It's not me getting up off my rear. It's me getting up off my rear, clocking out of work, driving 45 minutes to press a button, driving 45 minutes back, and clocking back in. That's an expensive proposition, both in time and earnings lost.

In reality, I just want it because it's geeky, and I love my blinky lights!

Hypothetical scenario:
Last night, it was spectacularly warm, so I cranked up the A/C. I get to work, and wonder to myself, "Did I leave it set to 68, or did I put it back to 75?" I pull out my phone and check. Oops, forgot to change it back. Let me just set it back to the regular program. Done.

It's not me getting up off my rear. It's me getting up off my rear, clocking out of work, driving 45 minutes to press a button, driving 45 minutes back, and clocking back in. That's an expensive proposition, both in time and earnings lost.

In reality, I just want it because it's geeky, and I love my blinky lights!

While I would debate the AC charges for 8 hour workday would outweigh gas and possibly unpaid time out of the office, I do agree that it would be nice to be able to fix that scenario remotely.

While I would debate the AC charges for 8 hour workday would outweigh gas and possibly unpaid time out of the office, I do agree that it would be nice to be able to fix that scenario remotely.
Agreed. (I'm surprised someone picked up on this, and not on the "Turning down the thermostat doesn't reduce the temperature quicker, dummy!" bit.)

Can't wait until someone hacks one of the home alarm companies and then sells the information (like when people are not home, the alarm disable code, etc) to criminals.

Home automation is being pushed hard by companies like Google, Apple & Microsoft. It wont need to get hacked because they will gladly sell any information they get.

Criminals now will be wardriving houses? :D

That said, I do not see a reason that I would ever need to have a "smart" home. I have a programmable thermostat yes, and if I happen to change it due to an outbreak of "that bastard is lying to me again, there is no way it's 70 degrees in the house" then my house uses up a bit more energy while I'm away from work.

Other than perhaps observing (with no ability to change) I can not really see a reason why I would ever need anything "smart" as appliances in the house.

That said, I do not see a reason that I would ever need to have a "smart" home. I have a programmable thermostat yes, and if I happen to change it due to an outbreak of "that bastard is lying to me again, there is no way it's 70 degrees in the house" then my house uses up a bit more energy while I'm away from work.

I know these sort of systems are a big deal for people with disabilities. Sure to most people its getting off you ass is no big deal but to some it is. Smart homes have been around for well over 20 years and while they might not have been internet connected there was some impressive stuff going on even back then.

What I'd want from a smart home is a little different from most people but all of which should be possible with current technology. I'd start with a twork of Raspberry Pis. Instead of light switches I'd use a Pi & small touchscreen to control lights, heating and location detection (via bluetooth). An app on my tablet device can control the lights and heating in the current room (but anble to access others). When the phone rings and theres a tv or monitor in the room it shows caller info there. The app should also be able to control playback from any media device and pause if I answer the phone or leave the room. The tablet also acts as a security device for computers which automatically lock if I leave the room for any length of time.

No Wifi or internet access required as Bluetooth is perfect for my needs (with extra encryption) and any remote access could be done using encrypted messages via SMS.

Being able to turn the heat or AC on at a reasonable time so the house is comfortable when you get home from work would save money as well as help to conserve energy.

But what about when the bad guys can just turn off your alarm, unlock your doors, walk in, and clean you out? That is the type of nightmare I could envision from home automation being hacked.

Being able to turn the heat or AC on at a reasonable time so the house is comfortable when you get home from work would save money as well as help to conserve energy.

But what about when the bad guys can just turn off your alarm, unlock your doors, walk in, and clean you out? That is the type of nightmare I could envision from home automation being hacked.

Simple, don't install those things. Or if it won't let you, just add in some good old bolt locks. I'm pretty sure we won't see complete home automation in our lifetime.

I'm generally in support of automation, climate controlled environments that adjust the users preferences. I also like cars that adjust the seat and stereo dependent on the users key. Still, some automation is ridiculous like smart fridges and ovens. If everyone had lighting the would turn when people left a room it could save a lot.

Back