ASUS Strix Gaming Graphics Cards With 0dB Fan Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
We’re proud to announce that the Strix R9 280 and GTX 780 gaming graphics cards have just launched with 0dB fan technology. Yep, in some scenarios they will literally run silent. The GTX 780 model has double memory: 6GB, while both have 10-phase power design that reduces power noise by 30% and increases efficiency by 15% versus reference designs. The cards are built with DIGI+ VRM and hard-wearing POSCAPs, while the DirectCU-like cooler has been upgraded with ’0dB technology’. When the GPU temp is below 65C the card will run in passive mode with the fans turned off. The large heatsink works to efficiently absorb and dissipate the minimal heat generated by low loads, so while you’re surfing the internet, watching videos, playing light games – your graphics card won’t make a sound.

I'm afraid to even look at the price!

It will be interesting to see how they price it ... the 880 can't be too far away and depending on its specs it would make an expensive 780 less appealing

Can someone tell me the point of this when there's probably other fans in your system that will make noise?

Why is there no active noise cancelation electronics built for the pc? It's past due.

Electronic acoustic wave cancelation technology has existed for decades. Steady state noise sources like fans should be an ideal application.

If Lexus can do it with car exhaust.........

Can someone tell me the point of this when there's probably other fans in your system that will make noise?

Some people build or buy silent systems. With magnetic no-bearing fans and SSD drives, total silence can be achieved.

Sooo really what this is is that when you are barely using the card, the fans shut off and it uses a passive cooler. Okay...that really doesn't seem like a massive leap in technology. They make it sound as if they have fans running at 0 DB (which is probably impossible).

Electronic acoustic wave cancelation technology has existed for decades. Steady state noise sources like fans should be an ideal application.

This^
I've personally seen some impressive noise cancellation systems in use on submarines that were built in the 70's (Ohio class and yes they were lol Bose). They worked eerily well. They should scale that shit down and sell it to us already.

I have always felt chassis fans are the worst offenders. I hate how loud my 690 ii is.

dB scale is horribly misunderstood. dB is a log of a value normalized to a reference quantity. 0dB means its the log of 1. This means it is equal to the reference value. log of (X/Xref) = 0 -> X/Xref = 1, X= Xref.

Sound is put on a log scale because the subject sense of volume is closer to a log scale than a linear scale.

No sound would actually be the log of 0. Which is -infinity.

Ahh fuck it, people think you can spend more than you earn indefinitely. Why am I even trying.

This^
I've personally seen some impressive noise cancellation systems in use on submarines that were built in the 70's (Ohio class and yes they were lol Bose). They worked eerily well. They should scale that shit down and sell it to us already.

You mean active noise cancellation? Well, there's that RotoSub project that Noctua is partnered with. But apparently they're still only going to be showing off prototypes at computex again this year. Even then, we don't know if those fans are only going to be bundled with a heatsink or actually made available separately as aftermarket replacements(which could be awesome, since videocards have been the loudest things in my gaming rigs for a few years now).

The only issue with this is that pretty much any gaming load = same sound level as normal. It's not the idle volume of my video cards that bothers me...

This is such bullshit marketing fluff. Nothing new going on here. All they do is turn the fans completely off under certain temps.

Asus.com said:
When the GPU temp is below 65C the card will run in passive mode with the fans turned off.

Gimmicky. If your temp happens to teeter totter across this 65C threshold your GPU fans will make more of a ruckus ramping up and down between 0 RPM and ~70% RPM. Probably annoying like car drivers who constantly speed up and slam on the brakes instead of averaging out the speed and keeping in motion. There's also the implication of product longevity subjecting components up to 64C without cooling.

I have always felt chassis fans are the worst offenders. I hate how loud my 690 ii is.
I just took one of the case fans I had from a 690 out because it was so worn down and noisy. I was using it as a spot fan for my RAM. I pulled out the video card and RAM to do a dusting of the interior and found that the fan had leaked a tiny amount of lubricant oil on the corner of my RAM. Nothing serious, but clearly these don't last like the high end aftermarket fans do.

Back