Apple Finally Confirms It's Buying Beats For $3B

HardOCP News

[H] News
Honestly, I don't understand this deal at all. Apple is usually pretty damn savvy when it comes to acquisitions. I guess congrats are in order to Dr. Dre on the pile o' cash he just walked off with. :eek:

Apple also noted that Beats has "become the brand of choice in the music and sports worlds" and "has quickly become part of pop culture in the US." The company plans to expand Beats to more countries through the Apple online store, Apple's retail stores, and select Apple authorized resellers.

You can see our evaluation of the Beats by Dre Studio headphones here.

Last edited:
Bwhahaha. One company that sells overpriced plastic goo buys another.

lol. I guess I'm just not willing to pay for overpriced over-marketed products.

it's a perfect pairing. now the apple boys can rock their beats & bose.

Their target audience is about the same. Sure, Apple products are nice, but their typical user is buying the name. Same with Beats. Not horrible, but easily beaten by competing products.

First hip-hop billionaire. One of the few that deserve it. Jay who?

Their target audience is about the same. Sure, Apple products are nice, but their typical user is buying the name. Same with Beats. Not horrible, but easily beaten by competing products.

Only in the eyes of Apple haters.

I despise Beats. It is the Monsters cable of headphones.

But I actually respected Apple engineering/products/business acumen...

Until now.

IMHO, Beats is one the most overrated brands in the US. All it relies on is marketing celebrities promoting it. Its merits on the sound quality front are much dubious.

But I agree with some of you that these 2 companies really deserve each other.

Never understood people that bought beats audio head phones . My monoprice head phones beat them for a fraction of the cost. But congrats to Dre for filling his pockets. I would just go buy me a nice little island and chill lol

Apple is getting Beats for their streaming service. The headphones are a throwaway.

Until now.

Maybe Apple is buying them for their marketing talent.
Instead of Apple spending money to improve its products, they can just start hiring celebrities to promote them.

IIRC back in the day Beats were made by Monster. Now, a lot companies are trying to copy that Beats style.

While the Beats aquihire includes the headphone brand, I think they wanted Iovine and Dre for their music/content connections. Plus, Beats has a streaming service right? That can also be integrated into iTunes Radio and so forth.

I'm not sure if you meant "Monster Cable" or you were saying that Beats Headphones are monsters? lol

FYI Monster Cable makes headphones so they have that covered as well on their own if that's what you meant.

Unfix-able typo land in this section.

Monster now makes their own, but initially they were partners with beats and designed the original Beats Headphones.

Monster is the poster child for overpriced gear, and Beats is the cut from the same cloth.

Dre is a beast. From nothing to billionaire in 25 years.

Not merely nothing...the Compton ghetto. Pulled some stupid shit as a young guy but truly has lived the American Dream. Nice to be reminded that can still happen.

IMHO, Beats is one the most overrated brands in the US. All it relies on is marketing celebrities promoting it. Its merits on the sound quality front are much dubious.

But I agree with some of you that these 2 companies really deserve each other.

Come on, Beats are nice $100 headphones, especially if you like bass response. They just charge $300 for them.

I have no idea why apple purchased them. It strikes me that a lot of the licensing, bundling, and other partnerships they engage in will be put in peril by the acquisition. Their streaming business has little chance of making money just like all the others.

Dat Marketing,

Too bad his headphones suck.

So the fuck what. He is a billionaire because of those headphones and "Dat Marketing". Don't be mad cause you still live in your moms basement, maybe you should get some of "Dat Marketing".

Why are you guys so focused on the headphones? If you actually read the article you'd see that Apple bought Beats for the potential of the Beats streaming service. Headphones have nothing to do with it.

Lol I can't imagine why apple would buy a company that has convinced people to pay $300 for $100 headphones. What an awful business decision!

I think this quote speaks volumes ..

Most of those acquisitions have been so small Apple wasn't even required to disclose them. Before Beats, Apple's largest public acquisition on record was the $429 million it paid in 1996 for Steve Jobs' software maker Next. Cook and his team have bought 27 companies between its fiscal 2013 and this year. Beats is the biggest deal so far.[\quote]

It highlights the difference between the ideologies of Jobs and Cook. Jobs developed within. Cook appears to be an acquisition CEO. He buys buys buys. Maybe because he has a ton of money? Or maybe because his management doesn't have the forward thinking of their predecessor? It's a reactionary move.

Until now.

Their products are fine. I like them (iPod Nano, iPad and iPhone 4S user). But, many, many people buy an Apple product on name alone. Same with Beats by Dre. They built that brand name to be trendy, popular and cool. So, to be that type of person, you buy the trendy products. Apple/Beats/VW/etc... Not every customer will be that type, but that's the big demographic they go for. The reality TV viewers. :D

Microsoft is trying to appeal to the same trendy crowd with the Surface ads and things, but not really doing too well. The "Apple vs. PC" ads were a big example of pushing the trendy vs. functional (boring) thing.

Now, we should get a picture of gold plated Monster Cable charging cable going to an iPad with Beats headphones at the top. :)

So the fuck what. He is a billionaire because of those headphones and "Dat Marketing". Don't be mad cause you still live in your moms basement, maybe you should get some of "Dat Marketing".

So, you're dissing the poster yet agreeing with him? :confused:

Yeah, they aren't great headphones. We all agree with that. Yet, the marketing really got people to buy them in droves. No one is mad (unless I misjudged the OP). Good for Dre. He did very well with marketing those things. No one denies that at all. Tons of respect for Dre for doing what he's done. I really dislike rap music, but he has some good tunes. Especially the one that's on Kangaroo Jack. :D

4plKVa8.png

Gullible people are still making rappers rich. In other news, the sky was found to be blue. :rolleyes:

Apple also noted that Beats has "become the brand of choice in the music and sports worlds" and "has quickly become part of pop culture in the US."

This is the bottom line, and it's why I hate apple, and always will. Fuck pop culture and it's idrones.

You know how in those stories people react when they see elder gods, surreal creatures from alternate dimensions, and their brains just melt and they're unlikely to ever recover from being a gibbering pile of human?

That's what happens when you let someone born and raised with cheap mp3 player earplugs and Beats headphones listen to an actual set of headphones worth a damn to a mix of a song not purposely made for the cheapest of earbuds.

It's like shaking someone doing the Occulus Rift rollercoaster while standing up. It needs to be youtubed, so that maybe people realize that triple digit headphones have more to them than logotypes and plastic design.

Posted from my pair of $249 Sennheiser headphones that lets me hear birdfarts and naildrops

Back