Cox Communications Joins the Gigabit ISP Club

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Cox is joining AT&T and Google as a provider of super speed gigabit internet coverage in select cities in the US. As an added bonus, Cox also announced the company will be doubling the speeds across all tiers for about 70% of its broadband customers.

This puts Cox Communications in the ring with two large competitors with footholds in the high-speed Internet race

Great, now I can hit my cap twice as fast.

You also forgot to include the part where they will be doubling prices next year :)

I don't really need more speed, the 25mb speed I currently have is plenty.
I'd rather see a lower price.
The next lower tier is currently at 5mb, which is just too slow. If that doubles to 10mb, that might be just enough for me to downgrade to when they raise the prices next year (as they always do)

Guess my plan for next year is to drop the phone service, drop to the basic cable lineup, drop the internet speed, and save about $80/month.

If only we had more competition, you know, that thing that is good for capitalism.

So now that they have a competitor possibly coming to their markets in other words , they are going to enable Gigabit service.

I love this fucking bullshit PR announcements. They act like they are going to the Moon for the first time in human history :rolleyes:

Frankly I hope Google Fiber spreads like the plague even though I don't trust them at all. I would rather have 1 Gbps service for $70 a month while spying on me instead of payin $150 a month for 300Mbps with Verizon spying on me.

I wonder if it will make the slower plans cheaper?
last time I looked, 50 or so megabit from Cox was $89/month for 6 months and then $129 or so/month afterwards. We have the plan below, which is about $55, give or take and 25-35mbps service.

I wonder if it will make the slower plans cheaper?
last time I looked, 50 or so megabit from Cox was $89/month for 6 months and then $129 or so/month afterwards. We have the plan below, which is about $55, give or take and 25-35mbps service.

Where abouts? Here in virginia its $73/m for 50mb and $99.99m for 150mb

Visited some family in Arizona and holy crap I never missed Comcast so much. Cox throttles different websites so you get shitty streaming quality.

Yeah I love cox and my "25 mbs" connection which has NEVER hit more than 5 mbs........for $70 a month......yeah.

As posted above, unless Cox eliminates the caps (Google doesn't have any), the prospect of double the current speeds looses it's luster.

Visited some family in Arizona and holy crap I never missed Comcast so much. Cox throttles different websites so you get shitty streaming quality.

No, they don't. More than likely you family was having issues that caused the streaming quality either on the modem side or the home network side. I've had no problems streaming on my service from any site.

Sounds good to me.

130/30 Ultimate Tier master race demands moar speed.

Cox has a soft data cap of 300gb. They do not enforce it with penalties YET but they do send me an email monthly about my data usage being too high.

Enable gigabit, enable data caps watch....

Where abouts? Here in virginia its $73/m for 50mb and $99.99m for 150mb

Hampton Roads. I haven't checked the prices and speeds in awhile but that was the rates I was looking at.

Meanwhile Comcast tells it's customers "piss off you have no other choices, you want fast, we'll give you 105Mbps for $120 a month and you'll fucking like it!"

Meanwhile Comcast tells it's customers "piss off you have no other choices, you want fast, we'll give you 105Mbps for $120 a month and you'll fucking like it!"

Cox gives me 50mbps (although I never see this much) for $75/month so really thats not too bad in retrospect.

I'm sure they did this out of the goodness of their hearts, not because of actual competition starting to invade their monopolies...

I have never had any issues with Cox internet. It's always given me the rated speed and streaming has zero issues. But I am a fan of paying less and getting more. I also am positive this is in direct reaction to Google coming to town. I am under no illusions that Cox is an altruistic entity looking out for my best interests but in comparison to the competition across the country, they seem to be doing a better job than many other companies.

I'm sure they did this out of the goodness of their hearts, not because of actual competition starting to invade their monopolies...

Since most cities (except for the largest ones) still have monopolies this can also be a strategic move to protect the monopoly. Providing Gigabit service satisfies the local politicians so they are less likely to bring in competitors, as well as setting a much more difficult bar for competitors to reach (as they must launch with Gigabit services themselves or substantially reduced pricing for slower services) ... ultimately it is win-win for the consumer and the company :cool:

Looks like my 50Mbps connection will be getting a boost to 100. I can't complain. Thanks Google! :p

Cox keeps bumping up my connection speed. I think its gone like this so far... 15->25->50

Looks like my 50Mbps connection will be getting a boost to 100. I can't complain. Thanks Google! :p

Cox keeps bumping up my connection speed. I think its gone like this so far... 15->25->50

That was the strange part. The 5/1 package doesn't get bumped so there is this huge gap from the lowest package at 5/1 to 50/5 (when the change occurs). So for an extra $15 you get 10x the download speed that who knows how many people would actually use. I know my parents don't and they wouldn't know the difference. If they bumped the 5/1 plan to say, 15/3, then you have something usable for streaming once again.

I am fine with my speeds, why not just half the cost? :)

Back