Google's Nest Recalls Half a Million Smoke Detectors

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A smoke detector is not really worth much to homeowners if it can detect the presence of smoke, but not able to warn the occupants. That is why Google’s acquisition company, Nest, has made the wise decision to recall almost half a million units for failure to sound the alarm in case of a fire.

According to sources, users are able to download patches from the Internet that will fix the problem. However, this hasn't stopped Nest recalling its product, most likely in the hope that it will save itself from a hefty lawsuit.

LOL that's retarded that the feature works all the time, it should only work if the alarm is actually sounding.

I have one of these. It's pretty slick in my hallway.

FYI Nest/Google - if you take my smoke detector, then I can't detect smoke at all. Just sayin'.

It's also a CO sensor. When I installed it, I happily chucked the cheapo CO box that was nailed to the wall. How will I detect CO?! With my nose?! *big inhale*

Conspiracy theory: Google is recalling all the units that were sold before Google bought the company, so the new units they replace them with have all the nice user tracking hardware/software.

Considering that Nest is still being run independently from the rest of Google, there's no conspiracy theory here. Nest's CEO clarified that after it was rumored that their thermostats could soon be seeing ads from Google.

All those Ph.D's and not one of them can confirm the product even works.

Conspiracy theory: Google is recalling all the units that were sold before Google bought the company, so the new units they replace them with have all the nice user tracking hardware/software.

I like this kind of home automation stuff, but privacy/security is the main reason I go the DIY route.

Around the same time the NEST thermostat came out, I made my own thermostat system using some temp sensors and a relay controller. Coded the back and front end, and since I coded it myself I can add any feature I want to it.

I've been wanting to add smoke detectors to my system too actually. Need to find smoke detectors that have a NC alarm points or rig a standard one. I'd put one in every room so if there is a fire I get an alert on my phone. Obviously, I'd make sure the smoke detectors work stand alone too and make a sound. :p

Glad I went Honeywell, Nest is truly the apple of thermostats.

You're suppressing your fire alarm wrong!

I like this kind of home automation stuff, but privacy/security is the main reason I go the DIY route.

Around the same time the NEST thermostat came out, I made my own thermostat system using some temp sensors and a relay controller. Coded the back and front end, and since I coded it myself I can add any feature I want to it.

I've been wanting to add smoke detectors to my system too actually. Need to find smoke detectors that have a NC alarm points or rig a standard one. I'd put one in every room so if there is a fire I get an alert on my phone. Obviously, I'd make sure the smoke detectors work stand alone too and make a sound. :p
I do sort of wish I went the DIY route though, this whole I need to talk to the cloud to do anything sort of sucks... I should just need to run a daemon on one of my servers...

^haha :D

Considering that Nest is still being run independently from the rest of Google, there's no conspiracy theory here. Nest's CEO clarified that after it was rumored that their thermostats could soon be seeing ads from Google.

I (and im sure many others) are happy to say "Fuck that". Unless google wants to send me a check in the mail every month AND pay me for whatever extra bandwidth/electricity it uses, then they can shove their fancy (and admittedly sexy) device up their ass.

250 is too much to justify upgrading with my current finances, even if it was 50 dollars with ads? screw that.

I'm sure we would all love to just have our thermostat randomly go off or start blinking and making noise in the middle of the night. If I buy a thermostat I expect it to do one job, and do it well. Not get all fancy and cute and help put extra ad revenue into other peoples pockets.

This was reported on a long time ago. Mine connect to the wifi so the troubled feature is already set to disabled. Not a big deal until they fix it or send me a replacement. I think Nest's response has been commendable.

I think Nest's response has been commendable.

C'mon, not like they had another choice.
Home sensors are in their infancy really, if Nest wants to have any future they can't shoot themselves in the foot over this issue or the brand will be forever tarnished. "Think of the children who got horribly burned and disfigured because Nest wanted to save a buck and didn't recall." and think of the images of those children on social media. The Internet never forgets.

I do sort of wish I went the DIY route though, this whole I need to talk to the cloud to do anything sort of sucks... I should just need to run a daemon on one of my servers...

Yep exactly, I want all this managed locally and not depend on the internet. To access it from the internet I want to have to VPN in and connect to it, not have it connect out to some 3rd party server.

Sadly I think any "smart" devices that start coming out will be proprietary and cloud based. :rolleyes: Like when they start to come out with smart fridges, smart stoves etc... instead of it acting as a server where you can manage it locally on your LAN it will be some proprietary cloud based BS. The cloud stuff is easier for noobs, but gives people like us little to no control.

I've got no use for products from a company that makes a smoke alarm that doesn't alarm.

I just wear a small log around my neck. When it goes up in flames I know there is a fire nearby. Simple, easy, cheap, and best of all no NSA listening devices.

Back