Has Dr. Dre’s Drunken Boast Cost His Company $3.2 Billion?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
C’mon Apple, lighten up homie. You should have known when you crawl in bed with a famous rapper, you are sure to wake up with hip-hop all over you. Yo! :D

While most of us found the Dre video funny, it’s pretty obvious why Apple did not — the company has long thrived with a culture of extreme secrecy and it probably took the video as a sign that the team at Beats might not be a good fit.

ive always been under the philosophy you don't party till the check clears the bank.

Goes to show that Dre probably isn't the business or technical brains behind Beats.

Apple will probably use it to weed out the deal if it goes ahead.

"He goes! He goes! Him too! Oh and the offer is now $999 million!"

The Beats products are over priced POS's (IMHO). There are much better products at the same price point.

Anyone with a brain knows that Apple likes to give grand presentations....you do not open your mouth about it until it's announced. I'm betting they pull out of the deal, or get the company for a lot less.

Goes to show that Dre probably isn't the business or technical brains behind Beats.

Apple will probably use it to weed out the deal if it goes ahead.

"He goes! He goes! Him too! Oh and the offer is now $999 million!"

O contraire. Remember Beats corporate strategy consists of:

-Make a shitty product that is underengineered both acoustically and in quality
-Pay all the teen sports stars to wear them to games/meets
-Overcharge for said shitty product

I could easily buy that guy having come up with that. It even fits on a napkin if you write small.

The Beats products are over priced POS's (IMHO). There are much better products at the same price point.

Anyone with a brain knows that Apple likes to give grand presentations....you do not open your mouth about it until it's announced. I'm betting they pull out of the deal, or get the company for a lot less.

No, it's not opionion, it's fact. Beats are overpriced POS's. :D

If Beats leaked the info (which confirms they did in the video), then they deserve what's happens after.
Giving the internet a chance to say Apple is dumb for buying Beats does have a effect. Many Apple fans seem not to be happy about it.

The offer will be much lower now if at all.
Dre should just pull the deal off the table himself, before Apple stains any future possibility of selling to another company.

Beats do exactly what they were designed to do. Mimic the sound of a pimped out Honda with a sound system worth more than the car aimed at stupid heavy base output with the volume maxed from 15 feet away from the car. I don't know how anyone can claim they are poorly designed. :rolleyes:

LOL.

Never talk about the deal in public til the ink is dry and the check has cleared. And even then, just roll around in the money and laugh.

For those that say they are crap - have you listened to a good audio system or headphones before? Most of the people buying these are used to Apple earbuds or Skull Candy $15 ear buds at the most. Compared to that, Beats do sound really good. However, compared to a higher end headphone around the same cost as Beats, they are inferior. But, the average consumer goes by name and doesn't really comparison shop and listen to alternatives. They just buy the name. To them, it's worlds better than what they were using.

For those that enjoy audio quality and have heard a nice audio system, we pass on the Beats. They really are crappy sounding, overly expensive POS headphones.

If those that buy them like them, that's fine. Dre likes the money. For those more informed consumers, we just move on and buy something superior.

Oh well. I guess Apple will just say eat 'deez nutz' to Dre.

Why do they even call it "By Dre"... was he at all involved in the development of their products? Or does he just slap his face on it George Foreman style? I never understood the public's infatuation with seeing a celebrities face on a product, as if their paid endorsement matters.

Why do they even call it "By Dre"... was he at all involved in the development of their products? Or does he just slap his face on it George Foreman style? I never understood the public's infatuation with seeing a celebrities face on a product, as if their paid endorsement matters.

Yes he kind of was, but they changed the name too essentially cut Monster out of the product. I wonder what Lovine thinks about all of this.

ive always been under the philosophy you don't party till the check clears the bank.

Not only does Beats suck anyway and make terrible products, but this quote is exactly what should have happened. Should have waited... What an idiot.

This is cheap bargaining shit by Apple...nothing more. Saying you're upset by seeing a high-profile rap star drunk on beer is like saying you're shocked by seeing Michael Jordan bouncing a ball.

So the fact that he's already worth half a billion dollars due largely to his company Aftermath Entertainment is...a fluke?

Maybe Apple realized they already have the brand to push. Buy up a cheaper audio company that makes better sounding headphones and then market - it's what they do best.

To be honest, the Apple Beats purchase just seemed more like a reason to spend money over Ana actual necessity.

Apple does not want the headphones, they want Dr Dre and the other producer guy, they could care less about the headphones.

And software rights.

Surely Apple isn't stupid enough to realize that Beats software is nothing but a really fucked up software equalizer...and they could make something that sounds just as bad, for free...

So the fact that he's already worth half a billion dollars due largely to his company Aftermath Entertainment is...a fluke?

Yeah. he's the brains behind Beats like Larry the Cable guy is the Genius that invented prilosec.

Getting pimped out by A Marketing Department? guess that makes you a Ho. a well paid call girl is still a whore.

Yeah. he's the brains behind Beats like Larry the Cable guy is the Genius that invented prilosec.

Uh...kay? Dr. Dre is an award-winning musician and music producer, so what would he know about headphones, amirite?

Dr. Dre is an award-winning musician
I don't know if we should consider talking to a simple electronic beat "music".

Hans Zimmer and Carlos Santana are musicians... Dr Dre, like Iggy Azelea or Nicki Minaj, are what I'd call "entertainers", not musicians.

Surely Apple isn't stupid enough to realize that Beats software is nothing but a really fucked up software equalizer...and they could make something that sounds just as bad, for free...

They don't care about the equalizer, they care about the streaming software. It's nothing special but they have exclusive rights to some of the more popular musicians.

They don't care about the equalizer, they care about the streaming software. It's nothing special but they have exclusive rights to some of the more popular musicians.

Eh? I don't buy it. Its overvaluation and downright insane.

Here's a decent op-ed on it, he discusses why the streaming software isn't a consideration.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/05/09/why-apple-has-lost-the-plot-with-3-2-billion-purchase-of-beats-by-dre/

Remember, the Carlyle Group (sp) bought into Beats for $500mil around a year ago. If they own a significant share, they just made out like bandits.

Making and producing records is a very different business to developing audio technology so yeah I'd say a small manufacturer of cheap headphones saw an opportunity to slap his name on them.

Making and producing records is a very different business to developing audio technology so yeah I'd say a small manufacturer of cheap headphones saw an opportunity to slap his name on them.

And the fact that he's a well-known perfectionist with 30 years of experience using audio as an art medium wouldn't give him any insight into audio technology?

Somehow the vibe I keep getting from some here is that the big dumb thug doesn't know anything and just put his name on something and that's how he got rich. Well, no...he's already rich. He's already a proven entrepreneur. He has excelled in his industry. He put his money and reputation into a product that, regardless of the reviews of some here, are ridiculously popular and successful.

I guess I just don't understand the need for some people to paint rich and successful people as mindless lucky chumps. Admiration is more satisfying than envy or avarice.

And the fact that he's a well-known perfectionist with 30 years of experience using audio as an art medium wouldn't give him any insight into audio technology?

Somehow the vibe I keep getting from some here is that the big dumb thug doesn't know anything and just put his name on something and that's how he got rich. Well, no...he's already rich. He's already a proven entrepreneur. He has excelled in his industry. He put his money and reputation into a product that, regardless of the reviews of some here, are ridiculously popular and successful.

I guess I just don't understand the need for some people to paint rich and successful people as mindless lucky chumps. Admiration is more satisfying than envy or avarice.

He's excelled in his industry by spending more on marketing to tone-deaf kids that on making quality hardware. You can get hardware that sounds just as bad for 1/2 the price or less.

"The Chronic" 1990 is still the best rap album ever made.

This is probably some publicity stunt I would think he would know about keeping his mouth shut.

The guy can choose to work in ANY studio in the world with ANY engineer he wants. He's been around more high end audio equipment than you even know exists.

What does this have to do with his Beats venture? Not much, but don't underestimate the guy or his influence.

The guy can choose to work in ANY studio in the world with ANY engineer he wants. He's been around more high end audio equipment than you even know exists.

What does this have to do with his Beats venture? Not much, but don't underestimate the guy or his influence.

The man has influence without a doubt...and influence can be either be good or awful.

You mean high end audio gear like this that comes regularly to where I work?

index.php

index.php

index.php

So you're comparing the audio fidelity of a live rig to a high end studio? Those are some nice Line Arrays, but you're not comparing that a studio.

So you're comparing the audio fidelity of a live rig to a high end studio? Those are some nice Line Arrays, but you're not comparing that a studio.

No you're the one now making that comparison trying to salvage your post.

There are some on [H]ardforum who know about audio gear in studio and live and play with sweet gear professionally. And yes we know about the topic, and yes Dre's product blows ass and is ridiculously overpriced as anyone in audio will tell you. And saying "He's been around more high end audio equipment than you even know exists", doesn't make the hardware his name is proudly branded with not suck.

Is there anything else?

here is that the big dumb thug doesn't know anything and just put his name on something and that's how he got rich. .

There are some on [H]ardforum who know about audio gear in studio and live and play with sweet gear professionally. And yes we know about the topic, and yes Dre's product blows ass and is ridiculously overpriced as anyone in audio will tell you
Is there anything else?

I was more agreeing with Stiletto than anything else. And I wholeheartedly agree that they're overpriced headphones. And I'd still wager that Dre has more experience with higher end gear than you do (I know you know that live equipment doesn't compare), but he has little to no need to translate that to his product.

And for fucks sake chill out.

I'd say he directed the engineers on how they should sound, and gave feedback as they were developed. He provided the vision, as it were.

"The Chronic" 1990 is still the best rap album ever made.

As I dislike rap and its descendants, this isn't really saying much to me.

It's like saying "biggest pile of shit". Well, yeah, but it's all shit.

For those that say they are crap - have you listened to a good audio system or headphones before? Most of the people buying these are used to Apple earbuds or Skull Candy $15 ear buds at the most. Compared to that, Beats do sound really good. However, compared to a higher end headphone around the same cost as Beats, they are inferior. But, the average consumer goes by name and doesn't really comparison shop and listen to alternatives. They just buy the name. To them, it's worlds better than what they were using.

For those that enjoy audio quality and have heard a nice audio system, we pass on the Beats. They really are crappy sounding, overly expensive POS headphones.

If those that buy them like them, that's fine. Dre likes the money. For those more informed consumers, we just move on and buy something superior.

Oh well. I guess Apple will just say eat 'deez nutz' to Dre.

for those who buy it, they never care what it sounds like. I'm not sure if they even got ears tell the difference in sounds.
Ppl around me who bought it for the 'looks'.

Back