Yelp Reviews Help Track Food Illnesses

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is a pretty creative use of Yelp reviews. I'm actually surprised the CDC came up with this idea.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a report on Thursday saying that the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene had completed a pilot project that used Yelp reviews to help identify unreported outbreaks of food-borne illness.

Won't you just get sued if you write an online review stating that a restaurant gave you food poisoning? I thought that's where we were with these things now.

if a doctor told you got food poisoning and that was the only thing you ate in the last 24 hours there would be no doubt but if you ate a couple different places you can only really say that you got sick after eating at these places. You have the right to say anything you want but there are consequences to all actions.

Food illness doesn't necessarily equal pathogens... a shit ton of people have food allergies that don't even know it.

This is a pretty creative use of Yelp reviews. I'm actually surprised the CDC came up with this idea.

From the article it wasn't the CDC directly, they were just reporting about it.

"In a pilot project, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene worked with Columbia University and the business review website Yelp to explore the potential of using online reviews by restaurant patrons to identify unreported outbreaks of illness."

regardless, there's government sponsored research into using social media to predict/discover problems (whether that's a coup, an earthquake or food poisoning). I'd never heard of this before, but twitter has been an active area of research for several years.

Back