Half-Life 3 And L4D3 In Development?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know, I know, we are all probably being trolled for the billionth time but here's the link anyway.

"I think it's kind of public knowledge that people know that it is being worked on, and so if I say 'yeah, I've seen some images, like some concept art of it,' you know, that wouldn't be big news. I guess I could say that I did see something that looked like kind of in the Half-Life universe. It wouldn't surprise anyone if I said 'yeah, they're working on it,' so I guess to go on a limb, I would say yeah, I did see some concept art for Half-Life 3."

Everybody knows Half Life 3 and L4D3 are in development. It's just a matter of time, and knowing Valve, we could be waiting another 2 to 3 years for it to be even announced.

alyx_vance.jpg

I thought it was common knowledge that they were in development.

The trouble is that "Flat Land" is a shitty way to get work done.

At this point for me even if it proves to be the most perfect game in history, I would rather just get it later maybe on a sale, the hype for me just died out lol

Valve has been tight lipped about HL3. Not a yes or no.

LFD3 on the other hand has been openly announced as never happening. I would love for another L4D3, but by no means do I expect it.

Half Life is pretty much the only game franchises in which I would purchase a new game immediately, sight unseen.

Weren't we supposed to get a HL2 Episode 3 in 2008?
What the hell happened over there?
Did 3D Realms buy them out or something?
Am I going to be alive when HL2 E3 finally comes out and is it still going to use the same Source engine HL2 E1&2 used?
Will the Cleveland Browns win the Super Bowl first?

I thought it was common knowledge that they were in development.

The trouble is that "Flat Land" is a shitty way to get work done.
Valve doesn't seem to be having any issues financially. I'd much rather businesses operate like Valve than say, HP.

Valve doesn't seem to be having any issues financially. I'd much rather businesses operate like Valve than say, HP.

Yeah, they make their money selling other people's games. But when you engage an inherently creative process like making a video game with no leadership it becomes difficult to actually produce anything. Artistic types tend to be either perfectionists or complete dog-fuckers, both traits can completely completely cripple a team of them without capable leadership.

It's not really about the money, it's about not being able to build a team, set your goals within your plan and execute. I haven't seen much evidence that Valve has ever been able to do any of that. Of course the other side of that is that when they do finally get something done, it tends to be very good work.

Half Life 2 is like Lost, endless plot twists and mysteries that never go anywhere. Even the developers eventually got bored with it.

Yeah, they make their money selling other people's games. But when you engage an inherently creative process like making a video game with no leadership it becomes difficult to actually produce anything. Artistic types tend to be either perfectionists or complete dog-fuckers, both traits can completely completely cripple a team of them without capable leadership.

It's not really about the money, it's about not being able to build a team, set your goals within your plan and execute. I haven't seen much evidence that Valve has ever been able to do any of that. Of course the other side of that is that when they do finally get something done, it tends to be very good work.
That's all true. But it's not like Valve hasn't been investing a significant amount of work to other areas. SteamOS, in-home streaming, Steamboxes, the Steam Controller, Source 2 engine, plus their continued expansion of various Steam store enhancements like GreenLight, Early Access games, etc. They certainly develop software slowly, but they are at least investing in other technology versus say, the DNF team that was only working on one product.

When its announced? Heh. The hype RIGHT NOW is already bigger than GTA.

I doubt that. GTA has been a big multi platform series for years. HL1/2 were on consoles but mainly had a PC fan base. I am sure on PC the following is huge, but I doubt it is that big on consoles (where a large amount of the players are).

Valve is no longer interested in making games, because you know, it takes effort, money, and time. They would rather support Steam and let users create content for them. Lazy fucks

So a guy who has not worked at valve since 2008 is the inside scoop? yes we all know they are probably had some concept art for HL3 or Ep3 way back when he left but concept art is pretty much nothing. The question is are they really kicking development into high gear meaning that a game could actually be released in a couple years. Have they actually started allocating large parts of their staff to work on it. Valve seems to work on one game at a time and everyone gets thrown into it when they want to release it.

Remember that valve has produced and released concept art for hl3 before, as gimmicks for their events.

Half Life is pretty much the only game franchises in which I would purchase a new game immediately, sight unseen.

That worked so well for those who did that for Duke nukem..right?

I am starting a new theory. I'm calling it Dek's Game Development Theory.

The DGDT States as follows;

When you have Hype over an extended period of time, the longer that time frame stretches beyond normal game development cycles, the worse the game will be. In turn the higher the disappointment and backlash from fans will be as well. Additionally if Hype reaches a critical level, then the game will be destined for failure no matter how great it is because it simply can no longer realistically live up to the hype.

I have yet to see a game ever break that rule.

That worked so well for those who did that for Duke nukem..right?

I am starting a new theory. I'm calling it Dek's Game Development Theory.

The DGDT States as follows;

When you have Hype over an extended period of time, the longer that time frame stretches beyond normal game development cycles, the worse the game will be. In turn the higher the disappointment and backlash from fans will be as well. Additionally if Hype reaches a critical level, then the game will be destined for failure no matter how great it is because it simply can no longer realistically live up to the hype.

I have yet to see a game ever break that rule.

So Gearbox is either going to be liscensed to make another HL then either pay 3 different studios to half ass rush out a sequel while using its resources to make another Borderlands game or buy the IP then release the half assed mess that currently exists?
Then again, Gearbox's first big break was HL for consoles so maybe they'd get this one right.

There's been rumors that they might do a 3 Box for the official release of Steambox. HL3, TF3, L4D3, Portal 3...

Back