AT&T, DirecTV Say Merger Is Good For Everyone

HardOCP News

[H] News
Of course these two are going to say their $48.5B merger is "good for everyone." :rolleyes:

"You'll have something very special when it's consummated," Stephenson said. "This is an enormous growth opportunity for DirecTV, and not something we could have gotten with any other partner," White echoed. Analysts, however, weren't as enthusiastic.

Unlike the pre-1982 AT&T phone service monopoly that was split up, big telcom has our government wrapped around it's little finger this time. Now they can merge all services into one and buy out competitors to restore themselves to their former monopoly.

Unlike the pre-1982 AT&T phone service monopoly that was split up, big telcom has our government wrapped around it's little finger this time. Now they can merge all services into one and buy out competitors to restore themselves to their former monopoly.

Holy hell this nails it.

Now you can bundle your home, your car, your internet, TV, healthcare, groceries and banking into one low, low fee of both of your testicles and 70% of your income! Ability to procreate (Ivory(tm) Package) sold separately.

So the minute the rates start going up . . .perhaps cleverly disguised as package deals. . .is the time they can go pound sand.

Couldn't disagree more. Love all the monopolies being allowed left and right.

Now you can bundle your home, your car, your internet, TV, healthcare, groceries and banking into one low, low fee of both of your testicles and 70% of your income! Ability to procreate (Ivory(tm) Package) sold separately.

The United States Prison System is almost complete. We're under surveillance constantly and our behavior is controlled by fees and taxes (and somewhat by laws). No different than a convicts life.

The United States Prison System is almost complete. We're under surveillance constantly and our behavior is controlled by fees and taxes (and somewhat by laws). No different than a convicts life.

AHAHAHHA. This thread has already delivered.

Another PR crock of shit one liner.... Good for who!!!!!???!!!
These sociopaths are only about their bottom line. Nobody else's.
Can they even give us ONE fucking example, of where DRASTIC reduction on competitors on the market has led to customers benefiting??? ONE FUCKING TIME??? Anybody??? Didn't think so....:rolleyes:

Until you start having to pay $199 a month for 1.5Mb/512Kb and tier 1 cable package

AT&T is not in my market for TV and DirecTV is not a good fit since I would still need internet from Comcast or Verizon.

When AT&T tossed in data caps for DSL service which at the time was 150GB/month, which all things considered no way I was going to exceed with the crappy 3 Mbps connection from them, I left out of principle. Might be the straw that allowed me to say goodbye to DirecTV, and their $8/month DVR charge, and the $10/month HDTV charge, I'm lucky I bitched them out a couple years back otherwise they'd hit me with an equipment rental charge as well!

I'm happily selling my food stamps illegally, renting my obama phone to drug dealers and providing my vehicle and SR22 coverage to drunk people leaving clubs while watching them through a password-less public IP with a /32 subnet for live video feed ...

I'm fixing to write my congressman...via email from myname.com.

I'd like to leave a carbon footprint and a digital empire of info behind before I go to prison and re-unite with my family o_O

I understand everyone's knee jerk reaction for anything like this is to rant, but how exactly is this eliminating competition, for either AT&T or DirecTV?

Sure AT&T offers tv through U-verse, but it's availability is very limited so I'm not sure why everyone is acting like this is the end of the world and that AT&T will own everything if this goes through.

With all that said I have DirecTV and oppose this sale as I can't see it benefiting DirecTV's customers, but that's way different than most of the rants here.

I understand everyone's knee jerk reaction for anything like this is to rant, but how exactly is this eliminating competition, for either AT&T or DirecTV?

Sure AT&T offers tv through U-verse, but it's availability is very limited so I'm not sure why everyone is acting like this is the end of the world and that AT&T will own everything if this goes through.

With all that said I have DirecTV and oppose this sale as I can't see it benefiting DirecTV's customers, but that's way different than most of the rants here.

For TV service/content delivery, this is absolutely eliminating competition. For a while, out of principle, I used DirectTV for TV service and Comcast just for internet, even though it cost me more.

AT&T is not in my market for TV and DirecTV is not a good fit since I would still need internet from Comcast or Verizon.

well, its important to look out for yourself 1st. fuck everyone else

I mean, grandma is old so why not accept the $5 to push her down a flight of stairs. She didn't have much time left anyways...

I'm happily selling my food stamps illegally, renting my obama phone to drug dealers and providing my vehicle and SR22 coverage to drunk people leaving clubs while watching them through a password-less public IP with a /32 subnet for live video feed ...

I'm fixing to write my congressman...via email from myname.com.

I'd like to leave a carbon footprint and a digital empire of info behind before I go to prison and re-unite with my family o_O

well, its important to look out for yourself 1st. fuck everyone else

I mean, grandma is old so why not accept the $5 to push her down a flight of stairs. She didn't have much time left anyways...

/thread

"You'll have something very special when it's consummated," Stephenson said. "This is an enormous growth opportunity for DirecTV, and not something we could have gotten with any other partner"

So at&t is planning to get DirecTV pregnant during the honeymoon?

The irony is that that acronym comes out to USPS... and it's terribly fitting. :D

For internet we can get either Charter or ATT. Landline phone is Charter or ATT. TV is Charter, DirecTV, or Dish. I guess we have 2 options for each, so I guess its not a monopoly.

I also see they now have no reason to bring U-Verse TV over here.

Why is this not, oh, anti-trust or otherwise illegal?

At least Frontier has gotten its head out of it's ass for customer service, so I will stick with FiOS. I could contract again, but 10M/5M has been working fine for my home.

Master [H];1040840083 said:
Why is this not, oh, anti-trust or otherwise illegal?
Probably because there's Dish networks as well, and then whatever cable municipalities, for the same reason Comcast won't ever get slapped with anti-trust because wherever they are, AT&T has it's "broadband" as well.

Ok, let's say everyone that got made a millionaire from this deal just shut the fuck up and let everyone else talk. We'll see how rosy a deal it is then.

Thread title makes me imagine monocles, thin mustaches, and high falutin' laughter.

That's how companies consummate...when they want to do it to the consumer, it's the other end.
That's actually a pretty good analogy. :D

If this goes through, I have a feeling that "ATV" will "win" the worst company of America award on consumerist.com during next year's bracket challenge. :cool:

Lets get a basic fact out of the way. A monopoly isn't illegal in any way shape or form. A monopoly using it's power to suppress competition and use pricing schemes that are way out of wack then it is illegal. I am not saying one way or the other is better just saying we need to understand the facts first.

That's actually a pretty good analogy. :D

If this goes through, I have a feeling that "ATV" will "win" the worst company of America award on consumerist.com during next year's bracket challenge. :cool:

It will be a tossup between "ATV" and TimeWarnerComcastNBCUniversal. Either way, both monsters are worth winning the golden poo for decades.

It will be a tossup between "ATV" and TimeWarnerComcastNBCUniversal. Either way, both monsters are worth winning the golden poo for decades.
True, they should be in opposite brackets so that they can potentially always meet in the finals. I'll be pissed if they wind up in Round 1. :p

Your new name for comcast/TWC gives me a great idea to help reduce mergers and buyouts.

Simply change the company naming laws such that the resulting new company name must contain the entire names of ALL the original companies.

Can you imagine the unwieldyness of a name like:

(sound of someone taking a huge breath...)

ElectronicArtsBatteriesIncludedDistinctiveSoftwareOriginSystemsDROsoftBullfrogProductionsKingsoftManley&AssociatesMaxisTiburonEntertainmentVisionSoftwareABCSoftwareWestwoodStudiosVirginInteractiveEntertainmentPlayNationKesmaiDreamWorksInteractivePogo.comBlackBoxGamesStudio33NuFXCriterionSoftwareHypnotixJAMDATMobileMythicEntertainmentPhenomicGameDevelopmentDigitalIllusionsCEHeadgateStudiosSingShotMediaSuperComputerInternationalHandsonMobileThreeSFJ2MSoftPlayfishChillingoMobilePostProductionFiremintPopCapGamesESN

(sound of someone passing out and hitting the floor)

It's a lot harder to say (and far more more revealing) than simply calling yourself "EA." The long version of "at&t" wouldn't be nearly as long as EA but it would be a bit more revealing.

If we force companies to show their lineage, royalty style, maybe they will think twice before adding their competitor's names to their own.

How would that be any benefit to me?

For a start I hardly watch TV, I don't have Direct TV, I dropped AT&T as an internet provider (because the service is almost 15 years out of date, and they wanted $40 for it), and I sure as hell wouldn't get satellite DSL.

The only thing this merger is good for, is monopolizing dish delivered content, and controlling a chunk of the business (that is shrinking).

Fewer choices and a less free "free market" benefits everyone...provided that by "everyone" we mean "AT&T and DirecTV".

Back