Minnesota Enacts First 'Kill Switch' Law

HardOCP News

[H] News
Minnesota is the first state to enact a "kill switch" law for stolen cell phones. I think this is a good idea but just wait until hackers start deactivating people's phones just for funsies. ;) Thanks to benzino_86 for the link.

Gov. Mark Dayton signed a bill into law Wednesday requiring mobile telephone companies to include "kill switches" on smartphones and connected tablets sold beginning July 1, 2015. This new process will allow owners to disable lost and stolen devices as a way to discourage thefts.

I'm curious how this works.

So one state, currently, passes this law. What forces the cell phone makers to obey? It's one state. If they make this change it presumably changes all phones from here forward as its not like they are going to install this feature for just people in Minnesota.

I'm curious how this works.

So one state, currently, passes this law. What forces the cell phone makers to obey? It's one state. If they make this change it presumably changes all phones from here forward as its not like they are going to install this feature for just people in Minnesota.

Dude, it's just code, a 1 in one state activates the feature, a 0 in another state doesn't.

But I still think it's the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

A Stolen device loaded with sensors and communications capability and the best they can think of is to turn the damn thing off.

What happens when someone is arrested and their phone taken into evidence?

Call a friend to have them activate the kill switch and BAM. No incriminating evidence on the phone.

I am curious too to how they are going to implement it with a remote kill switch or remote purging of the phone of private data. Hummm.

Call a friend to have them activate the kill switch and BAM. No incriminating evidence on the phone.

According to this cnn article if the phone is recovered the data can be restored by the owner. I'm not sure they're actually wiping the phone or just planning to lock it down via software. Still seems like its grey are on what will actually occur once you flip the switch. Unless this article assumes everyone has all their data on the cloud now.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/16/tech/mobile/ctia-phone-kill-switch/

just something new for the NSA to play with...

So when OBAMA declares marshal law before the next election, the NSA will just activate the kill switch on the cell phones of all republicans?

You equate disabling the radios on the phone with deleting the data?

When Morpheus asked Neo if he thought that was air he was breathing, that one went right over your head didn't it? :D

Full text of the law here.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/text.php?session=ls88&number=SF1740&session_number=0&session_year=2013&version=list

Subd. 2. Antitheft functionality required. Any new smart phone manufactured on
1.21or after July 1, 2015, sold or purchased in Minnesota must be equipped with preloaded
1.22antitheft functionality or be capable of downloading that functionality. The functionality
1.23must be available to purchasers at no cost.

just reading this part that actually relates to the "kill switch" part, tell me how something so vague as this can mean anything? They do not in any way specify what the Anti-Theft Functionality is, what it has to do. It could just be an app that is free to download and replaces your existing desktop background with the words, "I am a stolen phone".

But they did go into great detail on the new law requiring businesses to install security cameras in stores so that they get a good picture of anyone selling a used phone, and requiring the collection of their personal information, and that they have to "protect" the personal information on the phones for the original owner in case the phone is stolen.

So in short, this bill is bullshit, it will boost security camera sales and data storage sales, while increasing the collection of personal information and by the way, if you sell your phone and fail to wipe it yourself, all your data will be kept forever, by law, in the State of Minnesota. And just to keep the laughs rolling;

Other states are considering legislation similar to what Dayton signed. U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., has introduced a similar bill in Congress.

Let's go nationwide.

Thinking even more on this, I take my phone in cause it's upgrade time, yes, a new phone. Right now I can get a few dollars off for my old phone or just keep it. But now the phone companies have a choice to make, is the cost of dealing with old phones worth recycling or reselling old phone's?

It think they are going to tell you to eat your old phone and this will kill any recycling effort. The Let's make and sell more phones Law.

I predict the cost of buying or operating cell phones in Minnesota just took an upward climb.

Ooops, my bad, they did make an effort to leave out your typical upgrade deals but as in all laws, what looks good on paper doesn't always play out right in practice.

Subd. 8. Application. (a) This section does not apply with respect to a wireless
communications device returned to the store where it was originally purchased ....

So when OBAMA declares marshal law before the next election, the NSA will just activate the kill switch on the cell phones of all republicans?

And then it would stop all the idiotic political trolling posted by cell phones on technology website forums. Sounds like a win to me.

What would I do with a phone that's been deactivated? Assuming that all my efforts to work around the issue have been thwarted, then I'll just take it apart. Sell the parts online except for the circuit board obviously. The phone is probably worth more in pieces then as one working phone. The LCD screen on some phones are worth over $100. Housing, battery, and god knows what else could still turn in a profit.

This just thwarts all the people who are addicted to narcotics and use phones to get a quick fix. Except that they're so stupid that they won't know what a deactivated phone is. They'll sell the thing even if it doesn't turn on. Plenty of people dumb enough to still buy them, and find someone that can fix it. There's always someone that can in your local area.

Won't deter theft. The screen, battery, and other components alone are worth big money. Example, the S4 has been out for a while now and new screens with digitizers still cost $165. Be much cheaper to takes someone elses...

And then it would stop all the idiotic political trolling posted by cell phones on technology website forums. Sounds like a win to me.

haha.. no.. then it would just be one sided with the libs trashing everybody else and patting themselves on the back all while driving the country into the ground.

if I'm not mistaken even phones that have been de-activated reported lost/stolen can still be used. If this is a software base kill switch might not do anything. for an Apple phone sure it will work but for android the phone might be able to unlocked and might work on another carrier. dactivation of phones are based on carriers not a universal block.

There are various websites for Android phones that will show you on how to replace bad ImeI and make stolen phones good again on other carriers.

Another "gun law" for the masses that is meaningless to the thieves. People see the word "disable" and are comforted by the false assurance that their device will become useless. The reality is that the device won't be useless and the thieves will use the same tools a technician would to bypass the lock out and reload the device.

just reading this part that actually relates to the "kill switch" part, tell me how something so vague as this can mean anything? They do not in any way specify what the Anti-Theft Functionality is, what it has to do. It could just be an app that is free to download and replaces your existing desktop background with the words, "I am a stolen phone".

Interesting. The bill was introduced with a clearly defined 'kill switch.'
1.21 Subd. 2. "Kill switch" required. (a) Any smart phone sold or purchased in
1.22Minnesota must be equipped with functionality that can render the device completely
1.23inoperable in the event of theft or loss.
1.24(b) In order to comply with paragraph (a), any "kill switch" functionality must:
2.1(1) wipe the device of all saved data;
2.2(2) render the device completely inoperable on any wireless telecommunications
2.3service provider's network globally;
2.4(3) prevent the device from being reactivated or reprogrammed without a passcode
2.5or other similar authorization;
2.6(4) disable the device even if it is turned off or has had the SIM card or other data
2.7storage medium removed; and
2.8(5) be reversible in the event of the device's recovery by its owner.
2.9(c) Wireless telecommunications service providers and wireless telecommunications
2.10equipment manufacturers are jointly liable for ensuring smart phones sold in Minnesota
2.11meet the requirements of this subdivision.

Later versions replaced this section with the 'Report on Smart Phone Antitheft Functionality' section. The phone manufacturers have to submit a report on their proposed antitheft features to the legislature. I guess they're giving them an opportunity to come up with something on their own.

Can't we just jump straight to the death panels Obama promised? I voted for him twice and I still have to deal with my crazy grandpa. Thanks Obama.

They're banning cash sales of used phones, and I oppose that ban (though I bought mine from a store).

They're banning cash sales of used phones.

This.

Even if there is a part of the law that does not actually ban the sale, you'll get people who sell their phone, and once it's sold report it stolen, the buyer's left with a brick (Already happening WITHOUT the mandatory "kill switch".) All it's going to do is force more people into buying new/refurb phones from their carriers instead of buying used phones on eBay.

If there was a Post-so-stupid-a-mob-will-come-to-your-house-and-beat-the-crap-out-of-your award, I'd nominate his!

Back