Google Must Honor Requests to Delete Some Links

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like it is official, the highest court in the European Union ruled that Google must remove links about its users when requested. This makes you wonder if the U.S. will eventually follow suit.

By ruling that an Internet company like Google must comply with European privacy laws when operating in the European Union — a consumer market of about 550 million people — the court is indicating that such companies must operate in a fundamentally different way than they do in the United States.

now you will have book publishers removing unwanted links

taking bias to the next level!

This seems like it would open a huge can of worms. It doesn't seem like it would even be financially viable for Google to all of a sudden handle the bitchy little complaints from hundreds of millions of users over embarrassing search results from old shit they posted on facebook, etc. Of course, the EU has no issues with coming up with stupid ideas that present impossible financial burdens, their tidy little solution simply being to force Google to eat all costs, whatever they might be. They probably did it with a smile on their face since it's an American company.

EDIT: Also, you're no longer allowed to use Google search engine for any form of research. If you're caught using Google search engine to find sources, you'll receive an F on your paper and reported.

:D

You know you can already do this to certain extend with the google and yahoo webmaster tools. This just means that other sites hosting incorrect info about you will no longer show up in google. Personally I see this as a good thing. It means that if some one creates a smear campaign and gets a lot of fake views people will still have to go to those site for the wrong info and google will only be allowed to point to good stuff. On the downside I can see stuff getting buried at the same time with money being spent, not that does not happen anyway...

I couldn't disagree more with this.

Google just indexes the web and makes it searchable. If your unwanted information is on the web, blame who put it there and have THEM take it down.

This is like blaming a map maker because you can use their maps to find your house and insisting they erase your street...

Insanity

Zarathustra[H];1040827612 said:
I couldn't disagree more with this.

Google just indexes the web and makes it searchable. If your unwanted information is on the web, blame who put it there and have THEM take it down.

This is like blaming a map maker because you can use their maps to find your house and insisting they erase your street...

Insanity

Yeah, wonder how that's going to work when said publisher operates in a different country and is beyond your reach. Yeah...

Google is no doubt the place to search for pretty much anything, and it already does plenty of business locally, they are the natural choice for the bureaucrats. With great power, naturally, comes great responsibility.

Let's not forget google shows/hides content/indexes all the time. They ARE doing it right now for money.

After all, what's so bad about having the right for privacy online? As if last year's revelations happened in another reality.

EDIT: Also, you're no longer allowed to use Google search engine for any form of research. If you're caught using Google search engine to find sources, you'll receive an F on your paper and reported.

:D

That's what Wikipedia is for.

Cant really blame people for wanting links removed from Google searches, just check out this search result...

Searching "Steve HardOCP"

steve1.png

...very easy to misread at first, you have to read it trice plus reading the small print, to get it. :D

You know you can already do this to certain extend with the google and yahoo webmaster tools. This just means that other sites hosting incorrect info about you will no longer show up in google. Personally I see this as a good thing. It means that if some one creates a smear campaign and gets a lot of fake views people will still have to go to those site for the wrong info and google will only be allowed to point to good stuff. On the downside I can see stuff getting buried at the same time with money being spent, not that does not happen anyway...

This case wasn't about a site posting incorrect information, it was about a news site which had posted accurate information on this man that he didn't want anyone to see.

Ironically the court ruled that the paper had the right to publish the story and maintain it on their site, but that Google is wrong for indexing the site and allowing people to find the story.

It's about time at least one part of the planet got the wisdom necessary to hold Google accountable for the awful things it does to the world. What needs to happen now is the entire EU requesting Google remove all of its results. I'm pretty sure a few hundred million people making a few hundred million requests will force them to back out of Europe, making it a better place for everyone living there since Google will have a data mining blind spot. :)

Cant really blame people for wanting links removed from Google searches, just check out this search result...

Searching "Steve HardOCP"

steve1.png

...very easy to misread at first, you have to read it trice plus reading the small print, to get it. :D
Why would you search "Steve HardOCP" ?

Back