Sales Tanking, Nintendo Turns to Action Figurines

review_12halo_2.jpg

They should just shut down the console division and open up theme parks like Disneyland.

Love it how there are all these doom and gloom articles about Nintendo, yet M$ and $ony have been bleeding money for many years now.

Love it how there are all these doom and gloom articles about Nintendo, yet M$ and $ony have been bleeding money for many years now.

Not to mention that the 3DS/2DS are selling like crazy and still printing a ton of money too. Unfortunately everyone is so hung up on having a PS4, XBox One, or PC (where 90% of the "popular" games will be the exact same). Sure, Nintendo dropped the ball with the Wii U, but I still stand by mine saying I haven't had this much fun gaming in years thanks to the titles on it. Even the multi-plat ones are more fun (Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, Darksiders 2, Assassins Creed 3 and 4) in my personal opinion. Not to mention the current exclusives (Super Mario World 3D, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Windwaker HD, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3).

^

Same. I have my better-than-most gaming PC to play multiplats on, and Nintendo exclusives are the ONLY exclusives that even matter nowadays. And yet where are the articles about PS4 and XBone not having any games to play? Or that their divisions are both hemorrhaging money even when hype might make the average, ill-informed consumer think otherwise?

I thought all this "Next Gen" stuff was supposed to fix gaming droughts, not cause the biased gaming (and otherwise) media to focus on Nintendo even more when their side of the room looks just as messy, if not more? I guess with so little good news to talk about concerning PS4 and X1, let's just keep staring at Nintendo, because they're the only ones out of the three trying to do something different nowadays.

And we all know how bad it is to think outside the box instead of just making dude-bro games 24/7 for a quick cash-in.

Can't wait to play Mario Kart 8, X, Bayonetta 2, and a whole lot of other exclusives on my Wii U this year. Will also play the non-shitty multiplats maxed out on my PC, no PS4 or Xbone necessary...

Not to mention that the 3DS/2DS are selling like crazy and still printing a ton of money too. Unfortunately everyone is so hung up on having a PS4, XBox One, or PC (where 90% of the "popular" games will be the exact same). Sure, Nintendo dropped the ball with the Wii U, but I still stand by mine saying I haven't had this much fun gaming in years thanks to the titles on it. Even the multi-plat ones are more fun (Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, Darksiders 2, Assassins Creed 3 and 4) in my personal opinion. Not to mention the current exclusives (Super Mario World 3D, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Windwaker HD, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3).

Dedicated mobile gaming devices are going the way of the Dinosaur. As smart phones increase in computational and graphical power, it will take over the gaming market for mobile devices. One of the hottest selling devices last Christmas wasn't a 3DS.

Nintendo was a company that made playing cards.
But there was a talented visionary at that worked for them who convinced the to invest in a electronic game machine. The rest is history.
So, since they started from such humble beginnings actions figures isn't such a stretch.

Iwata recently commented that Nintendo is more than just a video game company.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5661142/nintendo-quality-of-life-iwata-plan

That was really bizarre thing for him to do. On the balance sheet Nintendo is almost totally a video game company. I can only take that remark as a hint that Nintendo is leaving the video game business, at least the home console business. Knowing Nintendo's stubborn attitude they probably won't even bother to make games for other home consoles. I don't think Nintendo has any idea how to run a video game business in 2014. Nintendo does not understand gamers or developers at this point. They think they are in 1985 and all of this is new to people.

Then Nintendo talks about releasing an all new console for "emerging markets..." How bizarre is that?
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5693822/nintendo-release-new-consoles-in-2015

These guys at the Nintendo offices are old and way out of touch - and they might be sticking bath salts up their butts too. Crazy old men.

Iwata recently commented that Nintendo is more than just a video game company.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5661142/nintendo-quality-of-life-iwata-plan

That was really bizarre thing for him to do. On the balance sheet Nintendo is almost totally a video game company. I can only take that remark as a hint that Nintendo is leaving the video game business, at least the home console business. Knowing Nintendo's stubborn attitude they probably won't even bother to make games for other home consoles. I don't think Nintendo has any idea how to run a video game business in 2014. Nintendo does not understand gamers or developers at this point. They think they are in 1985 and all of this is new to people.

Then Nintendo talks about releasing an all new console for "emerging markets..." How bizarre is that?
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5693822/nintendo-release-new-consoles-in-2015

These guys at the Nintendo offices are old and way out of touch - and they might be sticking bath salts up their butts too. Crazy old men.

Nintendo pretty much raised a generation of gamers. I do not know of one adult in my age range that does not know who Mario is. The main issue is that Nintendo rested on their laurels too long and is in denial about the future.

So you're saying Microsoft and Sony (or maybe someone else's) execs are more in touch with gamers, giving them 30FPS movie-games and a plethora of first person shooters in an already-saturated FPS market? The new generation of moronic gamers posing as such perhaps, but not this one.

And since when is it a bad thing to diversify or tread into new waters? Unless you seriously want to be playing the same games for the rest of your life, devoid of any change, innovation is how the videogame business has survived for so long. Or do you forget this (assuming you're old enough to have lived through it)?

Someone's on bath salts, alright, and it's the Dude-Bros satisfied with sub-1080p, sub-60FPS in a "Next Gen" box that plays shinier versions of existing gen ports. At this rate, I guess what Nintendo needs in order to "understand" gamers is to re-release everything on all platforms, make no effort to create a unique gaming experience anymore, instill DLC in every release instead of finishing their games the first time, and focus all remaining moneys on marketing instead of creating a product which is worth owning.

And while they're at it, maybe they can change their names to EA2

Dedicated mobile gaming devices are going the way of the Dinosaur. As smart phones increase in computational and graphical power, it will take over the gaming market for mobile devices. One of the hottest selling devices last Christmas wasn't a 3DS.

Yet the 3DS out sold all three of the consoles for Christmas by quite a wide margin. If the 3DS wasn't one of the hottest selling devices during Christmas, then no dedicated video game system was, mobile or otherwise. Just because smart phone gaming is on a huge rise doesn't mean Nintendo isn't making money on their own handhelds. You are most likely right, however, in that it probably will not last much longer.

Yet the 3DS out sold all three of the consoles for Christmas by quite a wide margin. If the 3DS wasn't one of the hottest selling devices during Christmas, then no dedicated video game system was, mobile or otherwise.

The Christmas sales increase was mainly due to the release of Pokémon X & Y.
This was the 1st time they did a world wide release of a Pokémon game, instead releasing it a few countries at a time, otherwise the numbers would look much worse.

I have to laugh at the people who say smart phones will kill video game handhelds. In the US market not likely.

First computers should have killed consoles. they didn't.

Second most people in the USA are locked into funny contracts with silly carriers that put all sorts of artificial restrictions on phones they sell. So when parents want to go buy a kid a smart phone, they don't. They buy something else. And that something else often is a hand held gaming device.

I would love to see mobile devices kill hand held consoles but the reality is the console market will rework their model until they get something that works. And no matter what they can always fall back on the good old sell the hardware at a loss. Seems to work every time on American consumers.

So you're saying Microsoft and Sony (or maybe someone else's) execs are more in touch with gamers, giving them 30FPS movie-games and a plethora of first person shooters in an already-saturated FPS market? The new generation of moronic gamers posing as such perhaps, but not this one.

And since when is it a bad thing to diversify or tread into new waters? Unless you seriously want to be playing the same games for the rest of your life, devoid of any change, innovation is how the videogame business has survived for so long. Or do you forget this (assuming you're old enough to have lived through it)?

Someone's on bath salts, alright, and it's the Dude-Bros satisfied with sub-1080p, sub-60FPS in a "Next Gen" box that plays shinier versions of existing gen ports. At this rate, I guess what Nintendo needs in order to "understand" gamers is to re-release everything on all platforms, make no effort to create a unique gaming experience anymore, instill DLC in every release instead of finishing their games the first time, and focus all remaining moneys on marketing instead of creating a product which is worth owning.

And while they're at it, maybe they can change their names to EA2

But dude, their under powered toy they call a system can't do anything you are complaining about bro.

I would have 5 cents.
You are joking, right? Disregarding the plethora of such comments on this forum alone for the Wii U, it was a very common disparaging remark against Nintendo when the N64 and Gamecube performed relatively poorly sales wise. I am calling it out because no matter how many times it is said, Nintendo still remains successful enough to make consoles. The Wii U may be underperforming but to say that it will spell the end of Nintendo hardware is mindless hyperbole.

The Christmas sales increase was mainly due to the release of Pokémon X & Y.
This was the 1st time they did a world wide release of a Pokémon game, instead releasing it a few countries at a time, otherwise the numbers would look much worse.

I'm sure it helped, but even if you look at the first 2 weeks of December, Pokemon X/Y sold about 959,000 copies. The 3DS sold 1.57 million. If you take away all the Pokemon sales and make the assumption that every Pokemon sale was also a 3DS sale, the 3DS STILL compares closely with the PS4 and XBox One. I highly doubt all 959k copies were new 3DS sales as well, so I still stand by my thought that the 3DS beat the shit out of the new consoles this holiday season even without the new Pokemon.

Nintendo is making a killing in the handheld market, and combined with their reserves from the Wii, they're not going anywhere even with the Wii U failing.

You are joking, right? Disregarding the plethora of such comments on this forum alone for the Wii U, it was a very common disparaging remark against Nintendo when the N64 and Gamecube performed relatively poorly sales wise. I am calling it out because no matter how many times it is said, Nintendo still remains successful enough to make consoles. The Wii U may be underperforming but to say that it will spell the end of Nintendo hardware is mindless hyperbole.

It's a business model that is not sustainable hence most everyone saying they will be getting out eventually. You can't argue with generational losses of market share. The Wii is the only outlier and it came out before smartphones took off where casuals would later transition too.

That outlier also suffered the closet effect where it was purchased and played for a few weeks ultimately ending up not being used by a majority of its base.

Their mobile systems are also declining every generation (again the outlier here being DS for the same reasons).

If the Wii U ends up selling 12 million it will be on par with historic averages of 20-25% drop in market share, meaning if the trend continued they would sell 8 million or so consoles their next go around.

If the Wii and DS did anything it was hinder Nintendos ability to critically think about the realities of their situation.

It's amazing how allegiance to a company will not let you see raw numbers or facts. Everyone has feelings but they're not backed up by anything. Nintendo is in trouble plain and simple and there's no solutions in sight. People really think Mario Kart is gonna save them.

It's amazing how allegiance to a company will not let you see raw numbers or facts. Everyone has feelings but they're not backed up by anything. Nintendo is in trouble plain and simple and there's no solutions in sight. People really think Mario Kart is gonna save them.

Earlier in the Wii U is done thread I thought things would turn around (at least GameCube levels) with 101, Mario, DKC etc

But as figures kept coming it was plain as day. I did a lot of research on it. It's when I started looking at trends and sales figures over decades and past comments from higher up people at Nintendo.

There are some really good posts in that thread along with some obvious trolling. The first 20 pages are great though seeing how people changed their tunes.

Nintendo will probably go the way of Kodak

I hope not. The whole game industry needs a company that develops hardware and software in the same building. The Wii U controller may be a bust because even first party games don't really use it, but who knows what else Nintendo will bring in the future. D-pad, shoulder buttons, trigger buttons, rumble, ANALOG STICK and the game that showed how that stick is still used to this day, motion, gyroscopes, Nintendo has always been leading the way on physical interfaces and showing everyone else how they can work through their games.

Nintendo publishing on other company's hardware may make financial sense if the hardware business isn't sustainable, but I'd argue that Nintendo's 30+ years innovating in hardware interfaces is at least as important as their classic games. It would suck if that went away.

I guess if you can't sell consoles, sell something that you don't need a console for? I may eventually get a Wii-U. But it is for the extremely discounted console and games likely years away.

Too bad pure touch controls suck so bad. Give me a 3DS any day of the week.

Also not sure what cashing in on the collectible gaming figure craze has to do with Nintendo failing.

Too bad pure touch controls suck so bad. Give me a 3DS any day of the week.

Also not sure what cashing in on the collectible gaming figure craze has to do with Nintendo failing.

As much as I love my Wii-U, I agree, touch controls do suck and unfortunately was very gimmicky, but at the same time, I LOVE my Wii-U! I think those gimmicky controls work well for Super Mario 3D World and as a general controller its great.

I do also love and use my 3DS religiously, especially when companies with known IP's take a detour and try something a little different (Square Enix - Bravely Default). For me, the 3DS is a very good platform, and the way Nintendo is going, I would not be surprised to see a handheld that is a full phone from them as well soon (think psp-go only not as bad).

^^ Agree, not sure what the gaming figurine craze and Nintendo's involvement with it, has anything to do with failure. I say "go for it" Nintendo. I'm a 30 year old gamer, and I would not mind having figurines from Mario or Metroid. My son (6 now) loves Mario too, plays his DS Lite with Mario Kart on it a lot and loves it.

Might sound funny but I am about to buy a Wii U just for the Disney Infinity game for my son. He loves games but I have a hard time keeping him on the age appropriate stuff...so this just works for me right now.

The problem with the Wii is just that it only really works with this one segment of the population. It was never really designed to be a 'real' console competitor for the big title rated games.

Might sound funny but I am about to buy a Wii U just for the Disney Infinity game for my son. He loves games but I have a hard time keeping him on the age appropriate stuff...so this just works for me right now.

The problem with the Wii is just that it only really works with this one segment of the population. It was never really designed to be a 'real' console competitor for the big title rated games.

Disney Infinity is FREE on PC if you like to try it. You get Mr. Incredible only with the free package. Works with my 360 controller just fine. It’s not optimism for PC just yet but support says they are on it. You can buy more characters, they are cheap but you don’t get the real figure to mess with.

Marvel characters confirmed for Disney Infinity later this year too. They are adding 20 new characters larger maps and more. I won’t be surprised to see Star Wars on it one day.

Back